Zombie world with no Respawn option

Rathskeller

Hi I'm new to the forum but have been playing 7DTD off and on for a few years.

I'm not sure if this suggestion has been brought up, I would assume it has, but I think it would be great to have an option that allows you to play the game where zombies don't respawn and it would seem to be rather easy to code that in.  I might be mistaken I thought an earlier release actually had that but again I could be wrong I've had this game for a long time.

This option might sound boring to a lot of players but to me it would be a bit more realistic and if there are enough roaming zombies you could potentially see 1 or more zombies appearing in an area that you cleared earlier.  It would also be nice to include an additional option that allows you to either reset the zombie population <edited>(minus the sleepers) or a slider that allows you to adjust how long between zombie respawns with a zero setting which would mean no respawns whatsoever.

My gripe which brought about this idea is having to spend half a day fighting off zombie groups that appear every single morning around my base camp and sometimes I can even be at a good distance away from my camp and see them attacking it so I naturally run back to defend it.  The default day/night cycle is already way too short imo so I have that option set to the longest day cycle possible.  It just seems at some point in the game I get almost nothing constructive done because of spending time defending my base.

Not only that but my home base is inside a series of about 4 businesses connected to each other that I've cleared all sleepers.  But at night groups of zombies spawn inside the basement at one end which is outside the boundaries of my land ownership.  That shouldn't happen, they should spawn outside, not magically appear inside a building.  I realize it's probably because in that basement two walls are have big holes leading into a small underground area but since that area is totally underground, again, zombies should not magically appear underground.  It becomes another big hassle to deal with them every single night and defeats the purpose of fortifying a base camp to keep them out.

I have resorted to turning off Zombies altogether for a period of time, then turn them on until I quickly get irritated with the time I spend defending my base and turn them off again.

Sorry for the long post but didn't know how else to explain all this any quicker, lol.  any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

I'm not sure of the dimensions but the series of buildings are all connected so I've created openings/doorways through the walls that connect them.  the overall structure is bigger than my land claim block so yes I'm using that.  I didn't think you can have more than 1 land claim, I tried placing more than 1 land claim hoping to extend my area but I'm pretty sure as soon as I placed a second one the first one no longer seemed to be effective.

But regardless of that, there's still an issue of multiple groups of zombies that appear almost every morning that attack the structure which takes up a lot of my time to defend against, and all throughout each night groups of zombies spawn inside those buildings which I think goes against the idea that you should be able to fortify any structure regardless if it's within your land claim in order to keep roaming zombies at bay.  I understand it's a game that requires you to stay alive and fight off zombies but I don't think zombies should spawn inside a structure after it's been cleared.  They should spawn outside and then try to get inside.

So I guess I have 2 gripes, 1) too many zombies spawning repeatedly every morning that seem to always want to attack my base instead of maybe just wandering around until they spot me, and 2) multiple zombies at night that repeatedly spawn inside a building that's fortified which that really shouldn't matter just the fact that it seems unrealistic for zombies to spawn inside any building.  It kind of ruins the RPG aspect of the game where you could "pretend" those zombies that spawned may have arrived from afar and have wandered into your vicinity.

speaking purely on the interior respawn issues, unless covered by bedroll/lcb the sleepers WILL respawn if their volume does not intersect one of those items.
for servers, via server config you can enable multiple lcb, but not sure if a sp game it checks those configs or not, or if another way to enable for sp. edit- considering a sp game is also a mp game just waiting to happen now, it just might check those configs. or you can open to mp, but pw enable so it remains solo. only downside there is that you lose the ability to pause the game.

you can also increase the size of both protective boundaries, i'm assuming you've done that already.

outside, you can give yourself a bit of perimeter creating a patio (ie not terrain blocks) inside a wall leading to your structure, with spikes sunk in the ground outside. if you have a large building (sounds it) zombies will sometimes smack things in their path, or likely they've sensed you bopping about doing normal base like things.

i know this doesn't solve your issues, but maybe something helpful there.

Thanks Sinda those are good suggestions that might at least help my situation, it would still be pretty cool to have a no-spawn zombie game mode too.  Maybe make it your crusade to rid the entire game of zombies although that would be a majorly epic goal and I would imagine qualify as an epic badge. 

this is a pretty cool idea... a world with zero respawning zombies. I think that would bring in a whole new dynamic to the game. of course with zero loot respawn and if a hardcore option was added in for players where if you die once your world is deleted (ect. minecraft). then in my personal opinion this would be Fantastic!

53 minutes ago, Doc_mockingbird said:

this is a pretty cool idea... a world with zero respawning zombies. I think that would bring in a whole new dynamic to the game. of course with zero loot respawn and if a hardcore option was added in for players where if you die once your world is deleted (ect. minecraft). then in my personal opinion this would be Fantastic!

It could be interesting...or could be boring.  Respawning rates are already pretty low so not sure what no respawning zeds would change.

A reclaiming the area/world scenarios needs more then just no respawning.  It needs rebuilt buildings, friendly NPCs, and ultimately a purpose otherwise it doesnt get too appealing.

Archived