Batter up volume 2 confusion.

Ishsty

Simple post with a simple question: Batter up volume 2 book gives you a 5% damage reduction when wearing baseball caps and lettered jackets. However I do not know (and cannot find the answer to) how this actually works. Is it 5% damage reduction from wearing just one of these items? Does the damage reduction stack for a 10% reduction when you wear both items? Or is it only 5% when you have both on? Thanks for any help on the matter.

I cannot say i know for sure, but a good way to test of carry both with you, find a slow, weak zombie, then try getting hit with zero equipped, one equipped, then with both equipped. Simple math should give you the best answer.

At 5%, you'll need to be taking 20 points of damage per swing to actually see the difference. Less than that and the rounding will make testing difficult, or just outright negate the effects of the gear.

Tested it. It appears you get the full 5% reduction only when you wear both of them. Otherwise it's 2.5% for each. I tested by building a tower that did 99 damage to me when I jumped off. Then I jumped off of it three times each with different combinations

Clothing         Dmg1 Dmg2 Dmg3
-------------------------------
NONE              99   99   99
Cap Only          96   97   96
Jacket Only       96   96   96
Both              93   94   94

6 hours ago, Boidster said:

Tested it. It appears you get the full 5% reduction only when you wear both of them. Otherwise it's 2.5% for each. I tested by building a tower that did 99 damage to me when I jumped off. Then I jumped off of it three times each with different combinations

Clothing         Dmg1 Dmg2 Dmg3
-------------------------------
NONE              99   99   99
Cap Only          96   97   96
Jacket Only       96   96   96
Both              93   94   94

Thank you so much for actually doing the tests for us! Those numbers though and what

8 hours ago, theFlu said:

At 5%, you'll need to be taking 20 points of damage per swing to actually see the difference. Less than that and the rounding will make testing difficult, or just outright negate the effects of the gear.

said though now makes me question if this is worth utilizing at all. A good helmet will easily grant more over all damage reduction, but it is nice to see that we can get a jacket that will protect us in some fashion as well as have that utility from the sprint boost. Fun pimps though may wish to look into buffing these numbers though.

Just now, Boidster said:

What I need to test is whether the Ballcap Mod (makes any helmet into a ball cap; keeps armor rating) counts for the purpose of Batter Up Vol 2.

If you have the time and ability, I am now super curious. There is another book, the fire mans almanac 7, it too does a 5% damage reduction for having a fireman hat on. My question is IF the ball cap mod gives you that 2.5% from batter up, will it combine with the 5% from the fire mans helmet? Granted I'd imagine the damage reduction is multiplicative instead of combining into a 7.5% reduction but these could be hidden OP strats.

I'm working on it. Most interesting result so far: Leather Hood + Ballcap Mod completely removes the armor benefit of the Leather Hood. More damage sustained if the mod is installed. I smell a bug.

More results to follow.

21 minutes ago, Boidster said:

I'm working on it. Most interesting result so far: Leather Hood + Ballcap Mod completely removes the armor benefit of the Leather Hood. More damage sustained if the mod is installed. I smell a bug.

More results to follow.

Is that with or without you having the book perk?

Just to clear this up...

Each item gives 2.5% independently.

<item name="apparelBallCap">
        <passive_effect name="HealthLoss" operation="perc_add" value="-.025">
            <requirement name="ProgressionLevel" progression_name="perkBatterUpGear" operation="Equals" value="1"/>

<item name="apparelCoatJacketLetterZU">
        <passive_effect name="HealthLoss" operation="perc_add" value="-.025">
            <requirement name="ProgressionLevel" progression_name="perkBatterUpGear" operation="Equals" value="1"/>

Here are the results of more testing of various combinations. For all tests I had already read Batter Up Vol 2 and Fireman's Almanac Vol 7. I started with 150HP, numbers below are damage taken and % change from the base (not wearing anything) damage. Due to rounding, the percentages can be a bit off. So for example ball cap is actually doing 2.5% reduction, but rounding gives me 3.1%.

Wearing                   Dmg  %Chg
--------------------------------------
Nothing                   129
Ball Cap                  125  -3.1
Jacket                    125  -3.1
Fireman's Helmet          121  -6.2
Swat Helmet               129   0.0  (My earlier test with leather hood must have been a mistake)
Jacket + Cap              121  -6.2
Jacket + Fireman's Helmet 119  -7.8
Fireman's + Ballcap Mod   121  -3.1  (No ballcap bonus)
Swat Helmet + Mod         129   0.0  (No ballcap bonus)
Jacket + Fireman's + Mod  119  -7.8  (No ballcap bonus)

40 minutes ago, Boidster said:

Here are the results of more testing of various combinations. For all tests I had already read Batter Up Vol 2 and Fireman's Almanac Vol 7. I started with 150HP, numbers below are damage taken and % change from the base (not wearing anything) damage. Due to rounding, the percentages can be a bit off. So for example ball cap is actually doing 2.5% reduction, but rounding gives me 3.1%.

Wearing                   Dmg  %Chg
--------------------------------------
Nothing                   129
Ball Cap                  125  -3.1
Jacket                    125  -3.1
Fireman's Helmet          121  -6.2
Swat Helmet               129   0.0  (My earlier test with leather hood must have been a mistake)
Jacket + Cap              121  -6.2
Jacket + Fireman's Helmet 119  -7.8
Fireman's + Ballcap Mod   121  -3.1  (No ballcap bonus)
Swat Helmet + Mod         129   0.0  (No ballcap bonus)
Jacket + Fireman's + Mod  119  -7.8  (No ballcap bonus)

So it doesn't seem that the ball cap mod actually boosts the reduction up. Very interesting stuff, thank you so much for all the hard work and testing! I may try to get the wiki updated with this info, though I'm not sure how much of this will be redone in alpha 19. Hopefully a fun pimp looks at all this though because that batter up perk is looking very under powered on it's own.

3 hours ago, Boidster said:

Well, one mitigating factor for the Batter Up perk is that it reduces all damage. I was jumping off buildings and it reduced the damage. Armor helmet did not. So if you fall off buildings a lot...

I bet then it also helps with being set on fire drowning and other damage sources which may be nice.

Archived