Spreading Fire

Th1sD0t

LIke!

I can't see how it would work though (personally), other than regular damage to blocks/trees (not turning anything "charred" looking or anything). If it existed I could see some setting to throttle it on "how much it spreads" so if you set this to "high" then anything wood touching more wood would keep burning, and maybe any trees X blocks from other trees would pass the fire on once they "burnt down". If low, just a few blocks.

It would needs lots of smoke effect, and some way to put it out, IMHO. It would make "fire zeds" or anything exploding a rear danger to deal with, and just the effect would look cool, and I'm sure POI designers could find a way to make you have to set the building on fire to get something, then escape it

Agreed, fire spreading to adjacent combustible materials + entities is something I would like to see. It would definitely make molotovs, incendiary rounds and flame-throwers worthwhile, but dangerous to use. AFAIK right now liquids do douse burning buff, but fires also burn out after a limited time. It also appears there are a number of seperate burning buffs, when it should only be one or two (block materials vs entities)...

While it could be cool, just don't think it will work for 7D2D. Just extra calculations the game will have to keep up with.

Yeah, that and I think the "block damage" takes effect immediately when a moltov (or whatever), then the ramaining fire is just a visual effect, unless an entity interacts with it.

The only way I can see it "sort of working" is if the "fire" were an actual "entity" (like an invisible one) that stayed put and "attacked" whatever wooden/cloth/glass/organic blocks were near it, then "moved" forward/up/dpwn x blocks once it destroyed those blocks. Either "water" kills it, or whenever it does damage it takes damage and eventually dies, or spawns another entity on death?

Of course, this might result in a *lot* of entities being generated if there was a large forest/building fire which woudl be bad for FPS.

Archived