Fresh Install, Game Crash Upon Loading SAVED Random Gen Game

Mad_Republican

Thanks for the prompt response, Fox. I'll gladly trade toilet paper for a solution to this problem. Actually, I didn't do a fresh install of Windows 10 (I'm trying to avoid that, but it looks like that is my last resort). What I meant was that it was a fresh install of 7 Days.

All of the updates are current and there were a LOT of 1903 patches, but it looks like I got through them between September and December of last year. Looks like we're not at version 1909.

I KNOW that I installed the NVIDIA Drivers directly, but while I was looking through the Windows Update history, I saw this under "Driver Updates":

NVIDIA - Display - 26.21.14.3200, successfully installed on 3/10/2020. Ack! How did that get in there?

I haven't tried disabling SLI yet, but I could give that a go.

I don't have any other third party software that monitors FPS, other than the NVIDIA Gaming Experience, which I don't have collecting/displaying such data.

So now that I'm at Direct X version 12, Windows Update doesn't recognize that it needs to update to 12. When I search for installing DX12 on the web, I get lots of sites trying to install malicious programs, so I think I'll just use that same tool (Direct X Happy Uninstall) to try to force a DX12 install.

Any idea which of those you would try first? I think I'm going to start at the bottom of the list and work my way up to reinstalling Windows.

Don't know if this will help, but installed updated drivers for my LG monitor (can't hurt) instead of the generic PnP one that Windows had. I tried to disable SLI through NVIDIA Command Center nad it wanted me to shutdown the "Thermal Controller" app in order for it to continue, making me think, "Hey, that might be one of the 3rd party background apps that Fox was talking about. I reconfigured Thermal Controller to only run manually and not upon startup. I left SLI on and I'm going to try it out again. More to come!

I KNOW that I installed the NVIDIA Drivers directly, but while I was looking through the Windows Update history, I saw this under "Driver Updates":

NVIDIA - Display - 26.21.14.3200, successfully installed on 3/10/2020. Ack! How did that get in there?

I don't have any other third party software that monitors FPS, other than the NVIDIA Gaming Experience, which I don't have collecting/displaying such data.

So now that I'm at Direct X version 12, Windows Update doesn't recognize that it needs to update to 12. When I search for installing DX12 on the web, I get lots of sites trying to install malicious programs, so I think I'll just use that same tool (Direct X Happy Uninstall) to try to force a DX12 install.

Any idea which of those you would try first? I think I'm going to start at the bottom of the list and work my way up to reinstalling Windows.

Ya, Microsoft is notoriously bad at that. They just assume that their drivers are better and force overrides anything you install youself, even though your drivers come direct from the manufacturers. This is why I still choose to use Windows 7 on all of my computers. :p Microsoft will do this probably every few months until ppl complain enough which might take forever.

Nvidia Gaming Experience might still have something to do with game issues / conflicts even if not using any of it's features (meaning, if it's running in the background, it might still be interacting with 7d2d in some way)... I don't know for sure though as there's just so much bloatware out there and I have a bad memory so I can't keep up with all of it all the time. It's not likely to be causing your system to reboot like that, but it's possible that it might potentially cause other issues.

Don't worry too much about rushing a DirectX update as Windows will inevitably try to re-install it automatically anyways when you least expect it. It's not that big of a deal not having it right away, it just means some games that benefit from DirectX 12 will lose a few fps of performance until it does get resorted.

memtest86 is the first test I'd go with just because it's the easiest and a common culprit to OS crashes (dust getting on the ram contacts creating errors). https://www.memtest86.com/

EDIT: GTX 970 may not have DirectX12 / DXR support, but it does in fact have partial DirectX12 support as mentioned here: https://www.geforce.co.uk/hardware/t...supported-gpus

And it's always good to install monitor drivers whenever possible, so good on you for doing that. You might even see better color accuracy.

Thanks again, Fox - the main thing I did last night that shows promise was DISABLING SLI - once I did that, I was able to load the saved game and play without crashing. I'm going to continue testing this evening, and I REALLY appreciate your help and that of Beelzbub - THANKS! I'll post back one more time if everything goes smoothly.

Dang it - it did indeed crash again, but crash handler captured a log - here it is:

https://pastebin.com/hsjnveSJ

Going to run a memtest86 next....

"d3d11: failed to create staging 2D texture w=2080 h=2080 d3dfmt=28 [887a0005]"

Seems to still relate to either the graphics card or DirectX. It's maybe also possible it doesn't like the resolution / aspect ratio you chose.

Maybe try stress testing the GPU. FurMark is a free stress tester, 3DMark is one you'd need to pay for but is available on Steam. It's possible the GPU is no longer stable especially if you overclocked it at all. As it gets older, it could have a harder time handling high frequencies, or so I've heard.

Fox, you're a genius - the game suddenly doesn't like my wide-screen monitor at 2560x1080, so I turned it down to 1920x1080 and there were no problems whatsoever. It's kind of a shame that the game played at the higher resolution well before (without the wide screen view, I feel like zombies are sneaking up on me from the sides!). I have found that a lot of folks with the 970 cards have this crash error/problem, so it may just be the old cards. The one thing that caught my attention was the exact error that you pointed out: "d3d11: failed to create staging 2D texture w=2080 h=2080 d3dfmt=28 [887a0005]". I'm not a graphics coder, but I believe that instruction was trying to draw something that was 2080 pixels by 2080 pixels, and of course I only had 2560x1080. Anyhow, I had a great evening playing at the lower resolutions, so thanks very much for your help!

Ya, I've always wanted to get an ultra wide monitor for gaming, but I also know how barely supported those are in Early Access games (and even a lot of full release games) and don't have the patience to deal with that.

Just a guess, but I think the 2080 resolution textures it was trying to load relates to your in-game settings, specifically Full Textures. I could be wrong though.

Archived