Dedicated Server Troubleshoot

aysta

Hi,

I have been trying to setup dedicated on my PC for the past few days.

Here is where I am at

1. I am able to host the server and join myself, but when I try to input my ip instead of joining locally, fail to join b/c unable to retrieve server info

2. I 'think' I did the port forwarding correctly (I did it with previous versions, but a18 I am running to issues)

I have tested my port being open with online port testers (portcheckers and yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/)

Ports are opened after I launch the server

3. I digged out the log in SP and MP, and it seems like that the port does not show in the MP section. Wondering anyone has as successful dedicated server log I can take look at?

In comparison:

SP

INF [steamworks.NET] Lobby creation succeeded, LobbyID=xxxxxxxxxx, server SteamID=xxxxxxx, server public IP=xxxxxxx, server port=26900

MP

INF [steamworks.NET] GameServer.LogOn successful, SteamID=90131083510764552, public IP=xxxxxxxx

server port is missing in the line of MP, is this suppose to happen?

Here is the relevant server config

<property name="ServerPort" value="26900"/> <This port has been tested>

<property name="ServerVisibility" value="2"/>

<property name="ServerDisabledNetworkProtocols" value="SteamNetworking"/>

<property name="ServerMaxWorldTransferSpeedKiBs" value="512"/>

I tried to troubleshoot as much as I can. Please tell me what have I done wrong?

Ok, now you need 27000-27100 TCP/UDP. Then if that doesn't work, remove SteamNetworking from the disabled protocols.

https://paste.pics/07411800d53546b66c0efcc0a2de1300

<!-- Networking -->

<property name="ServerPort" value="26900"/>

<property name="ServerVisibility" value="2"/>

<property name="ServerDisabledNetworkProtocols" value=""/>

<property name="ServerMaxWorldTransferSpeedKiBs" value="512"/>

Sadly it doesn't work. May I also ask why you want me to open additional ports?

So I ran a few more tests, and something interesting turned out.

I invite my friend through steam with the current setup, while I am still in the server.

He is able to join.

Then we both disconnected from the server, and then since he joined as friend and favorites it, he is able to re-join without my invite.

This is what it is shown on his side

https://paste.pics/d7486ec7d802a01cf2513f9a69694525

Another interesting fact is that he is now able to join by punching in the same IP. as he was previously unable to.

To repeat the test, I asked another friend of mine to test (never tested before) and now he is able to join without me inviting.

Still, I am unable to join through IP.

I am happy that it is resolved somehow, but I will like to know a bit more about this networking issue.

Please let me know what other solutions/methods you have in mind

Still, I am unable to join through IP.

What IP are you trying to join? Your public internet IP or the LAN-IP of your server?

If you try to connect to your public ip from within your own network, your router might cause that issue. Some models (depending on settings of course) recognize that the target adress of your request is their own IP and then don't route the request to the internet and have it coming back but drop it or try to redirect it directly what does not work, as it bypasses your port forwards and so you don't have the real local ip of the target.

In short words: You can not connect to your own network.

If you want to test accessibility of a hosted service behind a router, always test it from a different network, not from your own. You can connect to the LAN-IP directly.

Those are ports that the Steam client uses for server traffic.

Looks like they've tightened up the range now though, and you only need 27015--27030.

Source

Thanks.

Now I run into another problem. So zombies stop moving. They are spawning, and they are able to attack, but they are not moving.

Funny thing is, if I run the server instead of dedicated server, the problem ceases to exist. Please advice.

What IP are you trying to join? Your public internet IP or the LAN-IP of your server?

If you try to connect to your public ip from within your own network, your router might cause that issue. Some models (depending on settings of course) recognize that the target adress of your request is their own IP and then don't route the request to the internet and have it coming back but drop it or try to redirect it directly what does not work, as it bypasses your port forwards and so you don't have the real local ip of the target.

In short words: You can not connect to your own network.

If you want to test accessibility of a hosted service behind a router, always test it from a different network, not from your own. You can connect to the LAN-IP directly.

Interesting. I didn't know router has this kind of property. I will keep that in mind

Archived