New PC

bobrpggamer

Metro is hardly demanding compared to 7d2d, besides, do you know how many cores Metro uses? Cuz most games only benefit from 2 to 4 threads. I haven't done much recent testing myself yet, but apparently there are claims that this game now benefits from all cores. So you may be comparing oranges to apples.

So my point is, while you may see a slight improvement in performance with one game, it may be opposite results with a different game.

Also, sometimes, things are just best left alone. If it's working fine, don't F with it. :p

Depends on the game but 1080 should usually be your bottleneck with this cpu.

There are a few games which scale at least to 8 threads and have horrible stuttering and frame times with a 4c/4t cpu, but 8c/8t will be fine for a while.

7dtd is not very demanding on hw, just poorly optimized.

Well the new PC runs A18 at 1080p on all high settings with Vsync on at a solid 60FPS most of the time until I enter a city and forcefully look around at the tallest buildings and it will drop to maybe 40FPS, so I am definitely OK with that, although bloodmoon will be interesting to see.

I will just keep the CPU @ stock clocks, as Fox said if it ain't broke don't fix it - in so many words anyway. I thought Metro 2033 Redux was a good benchmark, I guess even it is older tech now. I usually run Crysis 1 when I upgrade which is a favorite benchmark of mine and it was amazing to see how fast it was during the benchmark run, of course Crysis and Quake III Team Arena benchmarks are just for kicks and I do not take them seriously. I ran S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat benchmark as well which utilizes some more graphical options like SSAO and Tesselation, of which I really had no Idea about until I got my GTX 1080.

All in all the upgrade was a major help with 7 Days to Die and when Dying Light 2 and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 come out I will be ready for them.

I thought Metro 2033 Redux was a good benchmark, I guess even it is older tech now.

It's not so much that it's old tech or anything, it's just that normal games like that don't utilize nearly as much hardware at the same time as this game does. 7d2d is hard on HDD, CPU, GPU and RAM all at the same time.

I just set all cores at a static 4.7Ghz (Turbo off) on this new Gigabyte Z390 I got, it was hard to understand in bios but I got it working eventually.

I played about an hour and half in A18 and the temp was max at 59c on the hottest core with Core Temp and around a solid 60FPS on all high settings with Vsync at 1080, so it seems good to use. I really have no need for 4K so I would not even bother to buy a 4K monitor to try that setting.

here is a pic of the PC with a 8 year old Lian Li full tower

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30570[/ATTACH]

Yeah its not a fancy RGB like all the new cases, but it has excellent airflow with 3 - 120mm front fans, 1 - 120mm back fan and 2 - 140mm top fans.

100_0141.thumb.jpg.6657d4000a7169eb2e5618a95e6e20f5.jpg

Archived