A18 Headshots Arrows and You

streaml1ne

I went into a creative mode game yesterday and played with all the bows fully perked, mainly to see why I hate crossbows so much and to see if they get any better.

They don't.

I also wanted to see how well I could hit those headshots because this thread is not the first time I have heard this about the bows. For the most part, everything seemed fine. To me, there seems to be this one spot, though, where the neck meets the head (on either side) that I sometimes miss and from my point of view seems like it shouldn't have. Other than that, I don't seem to have any problems. For instance, I have never once seen an arrow just slide right through a head and keep going without impact.

You need to elaborate. Some might think more damage is indeed better. Some might think reloading faster is better when you perk into it. What do you mean exactly by not getting better with the perks?

You need to elaborate. Some might think more damage is indeed better. Some might think reloading faster is better when you perk into it. What do you mean exactly by not getting better with the perks?

The main problems are the reload speed and stamina drain. The reloading is acceptable at max perks, but just acceptable. It should become at least reasonable midway in perks, and kick ass maxed out like most things. The damage and dismemberment is fine I think for being an archery class weapon, though I don't see any difference in those aspects to that of a wooden bow and there probably should be being that the stamina and reload time is worse. The trade-off needs balance so that crossbows are better than wooden bows at least in some regard. Even if the crosshairs narrowed faster while aiming with a crossbow, I might consider it having some advantage.

The main problems are the reload speed and stamina drain. The reloading is acceptable at max perks, but just acceptable. It should become at least reasonable midway in perks, and kick ass maxed out like most things. The damage and dismemberment is fine I think for being an archery class weapon, though I don't see any difference in those aspects to that of a wooden bow and there probably should be being that the stamina and reload time is worse. The trade-off needs balance so that crossbows are better than wooden bows at least in some regard. Even if the crosshairs narrowed faster while aiming with a crossbow, I might consider it having some advantage.

The advantages of the crossbow are instant firing (don't have to draw and hold in order to fire), harder hitting, faster flight time, and greater maximum range (which means longer distance damage falloff), in trade for a longer reload time (which is obviously affected by perks, and may be affected by the Bandolier, although I have not tested that). Personally, I am finally excited to use crossbows in this alpha - something that was never the case before. I don't see them as a direct upgrade from the bow - more of a sidegrade - but certainly they are, under the right usage, not a downgrade.

The advantages of the crossbow are instant firing (don't have to draw and hold in order to fire), harder hitting, faster flight time, and greater maximum range (which means longer distance damage falloff), in trade for a longer reload time (which is obviously affected by perks, and may be affected by the Bandolier, although I have not tested that). Personally, I am finally excited to use crossbows in this alpha - something that was never the case before. I don't see them as a direct upgrade from the bow - more of a sidegrade - but certainly they are, under the right usage, not a downgrade.

That's a good way to put it. A crossbow is a sidegrade to a wooden bow. An iron crossbow being a "sidegrade" to a wooden bow is fine.. I actually think it's cool to have two weapons balanced in the same category but with different functionality. The compound crossbow should be an obvious upgrade. I don't like testing DPS, and I hate the idea of even being concerned about DPS in this game... but I think that's going to be the only way to really see how much better a crossbow is against a wooden bow. I should say, to see how much better a compound crossbow is against a wooden bow. Let's assume that the iron crossbow is and should be a "sidegrade."

I don't know how much better the range is in comparison between the compound crossbow and wooden bow, but I question how much that added range, if any, really helps you out in typical situations. If you are shooting out that far, it is likely a lone zombie and a wooden bow is going to take them out before they reach you (even with rage) just the same as the crossbows. If you are playing a game with constant runners... I wonder if the same applies. I think the chances are high that a zombie will get close to you due to that slow reloading.

Archived