Lighting... and noise please.

Belgeranrg

I find it strange that lighting and noise have had the back burner treatment so far in this game.

As for lighting, does it really need to get so dark on horde nights when I'm inside my base? I mean the light fixtures in the game give off terrible amounts of light anyway but when the horde approaches it seems like I have to have them every few blocks in order to see anything. The gamma range is even worse. I should be blind looking at a torch in the corner UNLESS its giving off enough light to merit that response. When it only lights a few blocks away it shouldn't blind me from almost 30... I would love to see the insides of bases (even just the bedroll dead zone) be unaffected by the darkness that befalls the blood moon. It's not immersive. On the flip side, I should be blinded by the sun WHEN IN THE SUN not because the textures took a flying leap into radioactivity because the sun is out. BTW let me just say thank you for fixing the night-vision goggles though, they used to not work in the dark (oddly enough).

Similarly, the sounds are too... consistent. When I'm roaming through a POI I should be able to tell where a sound is coming from and if it's coming through a door or wall it should be muffled if not completely unhearable. I shouldn't be almost to the end of the shamway factory dungeon and be able to hear the Zeds at the front door as if they were sucking me off. The depth and surround nature of sounds need a serious overhaul IMHO.

Now for all those who are heated at this point, I LOVE this game. I just want to see some love put into the backburner stuff to make it a truely great game.

There used to be several different shaders to choose from. I don't know if you can still access them, but it gave the game a nice varied look and helped with contrast issues.

I usually play in near darkness in the room I am in so the dark parts aren't so pitch black at night. But I didn't know what you mean.

I shouldn't be almost to the end of the shamway factory dungeon and be able to hear the Zeds at the front door as if they were sucking me off. The depth and surround nature of sounds need a serious overhaul IMHO.

Not sure about you, but my definition of humble must be different than yours.

Sound does need work, and as someone that has griped about sound since Alpha 6, I can say it has gotten light years better than it once was. Sound it literally the last priority is dev work usually, but because it has to be based on a finished framework, so give it time. I am sure it will get some more love before it is released.

Ninja Zombies are a pain. We already have ninja dogs on purpose. (What a cheap way for a challenge...)

Player sound is also weird.

You go around a building and they go crazy inside. You go in and can actually break down the door of the room where a sleeper is in and it doesn´t wake up. In a small bathroom. They don´t even recognize when they are hidden and you shoot that wooden cover right in front of their faces with the crossbow.

Someday I would love to see a ray trace mod for 7D2D. Once you see that ambient lighting, you never want to go back. Torch light radiating through walls is a immersion breaker as well. I think that things like that and the lack of sound realism will be dial in more in the future. Currently we have a few fairly big features ahead of those kinds of thing, but trust me, I will be insisting on some movement on the audio front in the future as that is my professional field and when I hear the potential that is lost on environmental cues it makes my skin crawl.

Raytracing might be indeed interesting in the future, like 2022, seeing that you lose a lot of frames even with a 2080. Not sure if the generation next year will be much better here. Right now RTX is just a marketing gag that makes GPU´s expensive. Or we see the next new thing that makes them even more expensive. Dang, i can´t wait for Intel to mix up the GPU market and lower the prices.

But dang, the morning and evening would look fantastic. I guess.

Those sleepers dropping down from the ceiling beams drive me crazy. 100kg Z drops down from at least 3 meters and doesn´t make a noise. Yeah sure.

Archived