An idea to expand the map functionality

Tetrameth

Can you give the map some very simple editing functionality similar to Ms Paint?

I believe its usefulness could expand greatly if we were able to draw on it with a few different colours, or even perhaps pull a coloured box/circle over portions of it. Being able to share this editing in a similar fashion to sharing map markers could be really nice addition for multiplayer.

When looting a city I don't always get around to doing the entire city/block systematically, and in light of not going over the same POI's over and over, the current functionality of adding 'X' markers over each completed POI ends up creating a ridiculous mess, not only on the map:

MessyMap.thumb.jpg.34f1df65d690c27471cb24369545f075.jpg

But more importantly, it breaks the usefulness of the compass by vomiting a bunch of icons all over it that obscure anything useful when in vicinity of them:

MessyCompass.jpg.a05a6856b731b8e93f2ecce979e2fc7b.jpg

If this kind of editing is in the 'too hard basket', I guess adding a feature such as 'being able to toggle specific map markers to remove them from the compass' (whilst not being the best solution) would probably solve a fair portion of the problem.

• 4 weeks later...
a feature such as 'being able to toggle specific map markers to remove them from the compass' (whilst not being the best solution) would probably solve a fair portion of the problem.
That's somewhat already in the game... Except not quite as such. Each marker can get a Tracked checkmark on it, which enables it to be shown on the compass without it fading when it's too far. Maybe they could add to this feature to allow for that "hide even if close" mode you suggest.

Archived