I am new to the game and want to ask about blood moon horde

Vic66

Hey,

So my friend and I just started playing 7 Days to Die about 3 weeks ago and we are currently on day 15 right after the blood moon. We have been through 2 blood moons and its been ugly. So I want to learn how the game determines the amount of zombies that are spawned during blood moon hordes because I have seen videos on youtube and read some other threads about the topic but they have a reasonable amount of zombies during horde nights while my friend and I are getting over 60 just in the first night maybe more.

We have not been able to actually survive a blood moon once out of the 2 we have been through so far.

Our base was well fortified and and we surrounded it with 3 rows of wood spikes. Zombies just eat through the wood spikes like they are not there and then they just start making holes to get in the house since all the direct entrances are closed.

Ibwould like somebody to tell why are our hordes so abnormally big and some tips on better base building that takes advantage of the new smart zombie IA to have better chances of surviving horde nights. Thanks in advance.

Are you playing on a server, or you/your firend are the server? Number of zombies spawn during blood moon can be set up on a server, while you are setting the game. If I remembered correctly, default you have 8 zombies per player in the same time. So you and your friend should have not more than 16 zombies at the time. But the server can be set up on 64 zombies per player, so then you will receive massive amount of zombies at one time.

My friend is always the one that sets up the server and its just him and me playing in it. the number of zombies per blood moon used to be at 8 but since the first blood moon was so overwhelming we changed it to 4 and it was still the same chaos and craziness during the second blood moon. to add to some context, I read that the number of zombies can be affected by things like how long you have been playing the game and player level. My friend is around level 60 and I am level 88. Since it was our first world ever and we just wanted to have fun, we agreed to modify the XP value to 300% and loot to %200. The difficulty is on nomad which I am pretty sure is the default difficulty.

So here is your answer. 300% xp - if your xp is leveling up fast, then the game stage is also leveling up fast. Higher game stage means more stronger zombies is blood moon pool. What is more, you have less time to prepare your base. Imho wth xp 300 you have made your game harder, because you have less time for trying different playstyles, less time for making decisions and no time for making bad decisions.

The higher gamestage means the zombies will be stronger, not that there will be more of them. The reported issue of having set horde nights to be 4 zombies per person, yet getting 60+, seems to be a bug, or some other unresolved issue. Afaik, It is unrelated to gamestage.

Is your friend running a local game which is acting as the server, or is he using a rented server? Or running a server instance on a local machine?

This is the line in serverconfig.xml to change if your friend is running a server.

<property name="BloodMoonEnemyCount"value="8" /> <!-- The number of zombies spawned during blood moons per player. -->

If it's a local game, the change is done from the menu.

The higher gamestage means the zombies will be stronger, not that there will be more of them. The reported issue of having set horde nights to be 4 zombies per person, yet getting 60+, seems to be a bug, or some other unresolved issue. Afaik, It is unrelated to gamestage.

That's not exactly true. The Gamestage defines both which zombies occur in a horde and how many occur in a horde in total.

You can see this very nicely in the video series of Glock9 where he has a horde night every day. In the first horde night only 2 zombies appeared. And in each further horde night then more and more.

My friend and I are running a local server, is not rented. In the first blood moon on day 7 my friend and I probably killed about 50 zombies and there were more coming, all of them were normal zombies. In the second blood moon we set the amount of zombies to per player to 4 as it used to be 8 and we still got an abnormal amount of zombies. In the second blood moon we easily killed 80 and more zombies as we were better prepared with better weapons, armor, more ammunition and an a WAY better reinforced base. In the second horde night, about a third to half of the zombies were specials of some kind, police zombies and radioactive zombies were a ridiculously common sight during the wave, especially radioactive zombies. The police zombies blew up about half our base :'v. Also my friend and I were around level 55 and 40 with 8 zombies per player in the first horde night, and about 80 something and 60 something with 4 zombies per player for the second horde night. The first horde night happened on day 7 and the second one on day 14.

Also, before making this thread, when I was still trying to investigate about the blood moon and stuff I happened across Glock9's horde every night series. I watched it and concluded that the zombies we were getting were just way too much.

That's not exactly true. The Gamestage defines both which zombies occur in a horde and how many occur in a horde in total.

You can see this very nicely in the video series of Glock9 where he has a horde night every day. In the first horde night only 2 zombies appeared. And in each further horde night then more and more.

Glock9 has his horde night zombie count at 64 for that series, not 4 or 8.

Glock9 has his horde night zombie count at 64 for that series, not 4 or 8.

You seem to be confusing the settings for zombies alive and the number of zombies that occur in a horde in total. A setting of 4 zombies does not mean that there are only 4 zombies in the horde in total, but only that a maximum of 4 zombies are alive at the same time. Only if a zombie is killed, it is replaced immediately by another one. This creates the illusion of a large horde but would leave the setting at 4 zombies and not kill the zombies you would never see more than 4 zombies on the screen at the same time.

I tried that in a savegame. I went into the debug mode and into the flight mode so that I am not reachable for the horde. Then I let the horde run. There were never more than 4 zombies active.

The total number of zombies in a horde is defined in the gamestages.xml file. The entry for gamestage 103 is e.g.

<gamestage stage="103">
<spawn group="feralHordeStageGS91" num="39" maxAlive="33" duration="3" interval="28"/>
<spawn group="feralHordeStageGS97" num="39" maxAlive="33" duration="3" interval="12"/>
<spawn group="feralHordeStageGS103" num="39" maxAlive="33" duration="3"/>
</gamestage>

That's three waves of 39 zombies each. So there can be up to 117 zombies in this horde night.

You seem to be confusing the settings for zombies alive and the number of zombies that occur in a horde in total.

Perhaps I'm confused but not about that. Maybe I could have been clearer?

Glock9 has the setting for "Blood Moon Count" at 64.

As you explained, the definition for this variable is: "This sets the number of zombies per player on blood moon hordes"

So Glock9 getting 64 at once has nothing to do with gamestage, which was my point.

I took it from Vic66's message that they were getting more than 8 or 16 at a time,

but perhaps that's not what he was saying. So that's where the confusion crept in.

Vic66, are you saying the total number of zombies you get is 60+ but only 8 or 16 at a time, or are you getting 60+ all at once?

Archived