How does game know to apply Miner 69er Perk to pickaxes? It's not tagged in items.xml

FileMachete

Curios about this. There aren't "applies to:" lines in progression.xml

<perk name="perkMiner69r" parent="skillConstruction" name_key="perkMiner69rName" desc_key="perkMiner69rDesc" icon="ui_game_symbol_mining">

And though other Perks are tagged in each item in items.xml, Miner 69er isn't for some reason?

Yet still somehow gets applied?

<item name="meleeToolPickaxeIron">

<property name="Tags" value="melee,medium,tool,perkDeepCuts,perkMotherLode"/>

Iirc Miner 69er is supposed to increase blockdamage against certain entities (resource nodes) based on that logic I'd want to make the assumption the tags may be applied towards the resource nodes instead of certain items.

i.e.; while a pickaxe should have additional damage against rocks, if i understand it correctly it shouldn't count towards bricks/safes and the best way to differientate between that might be by defining it at the target end.

Looking through blocks.xml that hunch gets stronger; I note that even on some blocks not dropping wood on harvest, as far as Miner 69er should affect the resource, it will contain the tag "oreWoodHarvest".

So my guess would be that i.e. at line 104 for the block terrStone this section is important:

<drop event="Harvest" name="resourceRockSmall" count="55" tag="oreWoodHarvest"/>
<drop event="Harvest" name="resourceIronFragment" count="2" tag="oreWoodHarvest"/>

I'm not yet entirely sure, yet all blocks I tried to lookup with the bonus have this value and when looking up reversely I haven't yet stumbled on a block which should not have the bonus, yet contains the value. But none the less still guesswork.

It applies a block damage bonus to the player, not the pickaxe. And it's set from progression.xml. Specifically this entry under Miner69r in progression.xml:

<passive_effect name="BlockDamage" operation="perc_add" value=".2,1" level="1,5" />

Basically says add 20% bonus at perk lvl 1 and gradually increase until 100% at perk lvl 5.

Interesting. :)

Annihlator, that may be happening, though from what I can see in the xml's I think there would have to be something else we can't see for it to work that way? Honestly don't know.

---

It's the " property name="Tags" " bit that has me confused. Looking closer at progrssion.xml, a lot of the perks have something like;

perk name="perkDeepCuts"

<effect_group>

<requirement name="HoldingItemHasTags" tags="perkDeepCuts"/>

So if you added in a new 'sword' item into items.xml, then it would _have_ to be tagged with "perkDeepCuts" in order for the perk to work on it. And that makes sense to me.

The more I look at this the more I think you may be right Quasimiyao; by -not- having the "HoldingItemHasTags" within the perk definition for "perkMiner69r", there's no `need` to tag things in items.xml.

And it looks logical (code wise) that it would then simply be applied to -everything- that has a "BlockDamage" property.

---Weird part is that the 20-100% damage increase will get applied no matter what weapon or tool is doing the damage (right?); heck it looks like it will even up damage for things that are intentionally nerfed, like shooting the ground with a shotgun.

or running into something with a vehicle? hmmm... what's the weirdest, non-tool/weapon way to damage a block?

Anyway... Thanks for the replies, they both got me thinking along different lines; a good thing! :D

I know I'm right about it applying a buff from there, I just released a modlet increasing effectiveness of that perk and other harvestrelated perks ;) Anything you hit a block with should get the bonus. Havent teste hitting rock with fists tho, but all tools get the buff. But, there are other ones that affect harvesting with a wrench, and butchering. Not sure about ranged weapons tho, if they do more block damage. Havent tested that.

Won't you be surprised when all the miner zombies start breaking though your walls faster! =)

<facepalm> oh crap, you mean faatal's AI now allows the zeds to frickin -PERK!- e-gads!

and w their endless stamina they can lvl via mining sooo much faster than we can out of the gate... it'll be a murder fest :rant::peep::frusty:

--

:D :D

Lol File, taking that route maybe in a while players can join the zeds too? :p

For one thing I had noticed before the topic some perks do more then their descriptions would imply, and this would be yet another perk I might not have tested enough to base my assumption as-much on :p once I'm done fighting RWG I might actually look more into the details of that just out of the curiosity I have now :p

we'll have to Annihlator, we'll have to... :pout: "If ya cain't beat em, join em!"

I'm thinking of sacrificing a pinky toe, maybe to the Nurse? :hug: She still seems a wee bit friendly.. plus she'd make a hot zombie girlfriend to enjoy the apocolypse with... maybe. :ballchain:

On the bright side, no more Stamina managment! :caked:

Archived