Pros and Cons of the Jeep in a co-op game

AlyssaFaden

So my hubby and I have been working our way through the vehicles in our co-op game: cycles, scooters, bikes (love these) and now the jeep.

But while i love the jeep's sound there are some things making me go hmmmmm.

1) as a passenger, you don't get to hear the jeep at its highest rev: you hear accelerating, accelerating ... then dead silence for the highest speed.

2) passengers can't shoot or do anything from the seating position (is this true? any way around this)

3) the OWNER of the vehicle can access inventory, the other player cannot (even if playing in a team); any way around this?

4) tje OWNER is the only one who can refuel the jeep ... which seems kinda weird. Anyway around this?

So we love the shared aspect of jumping into a joint vehicle and heading off on a mission, but it seems like the jeep is pretty much a single player vehicle with a bolt on seat for a spectator.

Am I missing something here?

Oh, and the wheels don't turn around, which drives me nuts and I can't unsee it.

3) the OWNER of the vehicle can access inventory, the other player cannot (even if playing in a team); any way around this?

4) tje OWNER is the only one who can refuel the jeep ... which seems kinda weird. Anyway around this?

So we love the shared aspect of jumping into a joint vehicle and heading off on a mission, but it seems like the jeep is pretty much a single player vehicle with a bolt on seat for a spectator.

Am I missing something here?

What we do is when non-owner wishes to access Inventory...

In Radial, Lock and then unlock to use the inventory. Then the previous owner can do the same to re-access inventory. So what you are really doing is resetting ownership.

-Krow

How to share the vehicles:

Whoever locks the vehicle last owns it.

So the simple habit is for the first owner to unlock it.

Then every ally who needs access first locks it then immediately unlocks it. After the lock action, they have access to the vehicle because it's theirs now. Immediately unlocking it is just a habit forming exercise so you don't log out with a jeep inaccessible to other allies.

We do this a lot in our group.

We'll go on a mission or loot a big POI. Then head back to the jeep. One person locks it, unlocks it, then accesses the trunk, dumps their loot. Next person locks it, unlocks it, dumps loot. Round robin that until everyone has stacked their loot in the trunk. (We have also modded our vehicles to support extra passengers: Jeep holds 4, bicycle and motorcycle hold 2.)

Aside from the issues presented, my group has decided that 2 motorcycles are more efficient than 1 4x4 for a few reasons.

1) More storage. 2 motorcycles have 36x2=72 storage slots to the 4x4's 63.

2) Cheaper. It costs significantly less to make two motorcycles than one 4x4.

3) More fuel-efficient. 2 motorcycles consume less gas than the 4x4 does.

4) Faster. Motorcycles go faster than the 4x4.

5) Smaller profile. Motorcycles are less likely to get stuck on things or destroy bridges than the 4x4 is.

Aside from the issues presented, my group has decided that 2 motorcycles are more efficient than 1 4x4 for a few reasons.

5) Smaller profile. Motorcycles are less likely to get stuck on things or destroy bridges than the 4x4 is.

Indeed.

4jzZPXL.gif

Makes perfect sense.

How to share the vehicles:

Whoever locks the vehicle last owns it.

So the simple habit is for the first owner to unlock it.

Then every ally who needs access first locks it then immediately unlocks it. After the lock action, they have access to the vehicle because it's theirs now. Immediately unlocking it is just a habit forming exercise so you don't log out with a jeep inaccessible to other allies.

We do this a lot in our group.

We'll go on a mission or loot a big POI. Then head back to the jeep. One person locks it, unlocks it, then accesses the trunk, dumps their loot. Next person locks it, unlocks it, dumps loot. Round robin that until everyone has stacked their loot in the trunk. (We have also modded our vehicles to support extra passengers: Jeep holds 4, bicycle and motorcycle hold 2.)

What we do is when non-owner wishes to access Inventory...

In Radial, Lock and then unlock to use the inventory. Then the previous owner can do the same to re-access inventory. So what you are really doing is resetting ownership.

-Krow

hey thanks guys tor this lock/unlock trick, didn't know this

- - - Updated - - -

yeah. I love the jkeep, but I'm fighting with the logic that two bikes are better

Here's the math on build costs, for those interested:

2 Motorcycles:

72 Steel

48 Mechanical Parts

48 Duct Tape

2 Headlights

24 Leather

36 Electrical Parts

4 Wheels

2 Engines

2 Batteries

1 4x4 (Compared to 2 Motorcycles)

300 Steel (+228)

50 Mechanical Parts (+2)

25 Duct Tape (-23)

8 Headlights (+6)

50 Leather (+26)

60 Electrical Parts (+24)

60 Short Iron Pipes (+60)

4 Wheels

1 Engine (-1)

1 Battery (-1)

So you're paying a great deal more in almost everything to save a bit of duct tape, one engine, and one battery.

Shouldnt your math be to have 2 bikes calculate against 2 cars?

I mean suuure 10 bikes are better than 1 car. But 10 bikes are not better than 10 cars.

:p Bad logic. 200 Steel doesnt take very long to get. If anything Leather is far more scarce in later parts of the game. Even then leather is still in decent supply.

The huge storage and fuel economy of the car allows for far more distant and longer loot hauls.

There is one really, really killer argument for the Jeep. Seriously.

I can say "Hey, I have to take a bio-break, drive us over there to that quest 6 kilometers out in the wild through rough terrain meanwhile, thanks mate", leave for 15 minutes and come back at the quest activation marker. It's like Z-Uber! As long as there is no "Autofollow <Player>" feature like in World of Warcraft, Bikes won't do that for you! :D

Shouldnt your math be to have 2 bikes calculate against 2 cars?

I mean suuure 10 bikes are better than 1 car. But 10 bikes are not better than 10 cars.

:p Bad logic. 200 Steel doesnt take very long to get. If anything Leather is far more scarce in later parts of the game. Even then leather is still in decent supply.

The huge storage and fuel economy of the car allows for far more distant and longer loot hauls.

Those numbers I listed are, in fact, the cost of two bikes. If you want the cost of one bike, halve those numbers. I labeled it pretty clearly.

My logic isn't faulty, you're just not grasping it - Comparing two bikes to one 4x4 (or, to fix your own analogy, 10 bikes to 5 4x4s) is a logical comparison since the 4x4 is generally meant for two people. In this comparison, the 4x4 loses out on almost every metric, being much more expensive, slower, and less fuel-efficient (yes, a full tank lasts slightly longer, but remember that a full tank is also much more gas) and, for a team of two scavengers, has less storage capacity while also being harder to use and more prone to taking damage and getting stuck. The plain fact is that the 4x4 is, in its current state, more of a vanity item than a useful tool.

I play with my husband and i love the truck: one can drive and the other one can do RL Thing ;)

The only thing i want to change is that my husband cannot access to the inventory - so he must drop the things and i must store it in the car for him.

I play with my husband and i love the truck: one can drive and the other one can do RL Thing ;)

The only thing i want to change is that my husband cannot access to the inventory - so he must drop the things and i must store it in the car for him.

Bingo, exactly the situation we are in

Kinda glad i saw this before I went and made the Jeeps. While the idea of a Jeep is cool, The fact that for what ever reason only one person can access an inventory at a time, and each person with a motorbike doesn't have to worry about not being share storage on a vehicle bugs me. If two people are in a vehicle, both people should be able to access that inventory.

Kinda glad i saw this before I went and made the Jeeps. While the idea of a Jeep is cool, The fact that for what ever reason only one person can access an inventory at a time, and each person with a motorbike doesn't have to worry about not being share storage on a vehicle bugs me. If two people are in a vehicle, both people should be able to access that inventory.

Agreed, although I will say that the [lock-now the jeep is mine-access inventory - unlock] trick works pretty well. It's kinda kludgey, but whatever.

I agree with all the points the OP made , and would like to add this : TFP need to do a redesign of the bridges so that driving over them doesn't damage them .

Either drop the incline and make them even with the ground, or create and use a block at a more gradual incline .

I agree with all the points the OP made , and would like to add this : TFP need to do a redesign of the bridges so that driving over them doesn't damage them .

Either drop the incline and make them even with the ground, or create and use a block at a more gradual incline .

I find that if you lay off the accelerator a few tiles before hitting a bridge (but not too early or the dip will get you) it greatly reduces the damage you do to them.

Archived