Please add an unarmed/boxing skill?

Peter Colivet

(Think I'm posting this in the right place, apologies if not)

Hey guys. Let me start by saying I'm a fan of the new levelling/attribute/perk system. I realise I'm one of the minority here, but there's clearly been a lot of thought into it and I fancied showing some support. I feel it works really well, and gives players a bit more of a unique feeling.

That leads me to the point - I'd love to see an unarmed/boxing skill implemented. As it stands, there are currently 3 melee types, Clubs, Heavies and Blades. But I'd found and therefore noticed there was also a schematic to add knuckles to all gauntlet/glove types of clothing as well as also noticing beer gives you +300% unarmed damage. Both of these, in addition to the new jab and hook punches, made me really want to see unarmed be given a perk tree of its own. (I'm a boxer in real life, and I'd be lying if I said this didn't influence it)

I'm not suggesting it to be made into a Saitama (One Punch Man) sorta skill, but just increasing some damage, lowering stamina usage and increasing speed of unarmed perhaps? Damage would clearly not compete to a sledgehammer, but it'd be nice to be able to throw down your weapon should it break, and be competent with your hands. I feel like this, coupled with some steel gauntlets could make for an interesting and exciting fourth 'weapon' type.

Anyways, cheers for the read and thanks for Alpha 17, you guys always do outstanding work.

The combat needs a lot of work, and I like the idea of becoming good with your hands. Your weapon breaks, you got a horde, etc., time to box! Thumbs up.

(On a side note, they had already proven in A16 however, that the character can learn skills organically, and then completely abandoned it in A17 in favor of clicking buttons and spending points. I do like the idea of the attributes/skills/perks, but they should absolutely remove the Skill Menu, and get back to organic leveling. There is no reason to reduce a game as immersive and realistic as this, to a point-and-click game. It's a tired RPG mechanic and this game can be so much more.)

eat a poop and smile.

Unarmed will never be anywhere near as useful as weapons. If you need IRL proof, everything in IRL backs that up,

Sure there are some people who can kill a person unarmed in an instant, but 99.9% of people will never.

I think we're done here.

Hi,

I cheated in A17 for fun and maximized my character to the max. Just for fun, I used fists and believe it not it was effective. My fists even caused heads to explode on occasion! I'm guessing it was due to the maxed out strength attribute.

Thanks!

Corky

I think we're done here.

Ummm... No. There have been plenty of cases where boxers for example, have accidentally killed their opponents. Google it, it's real. This happens when wearing gloves designed to stop this happening, in a sport where you're not trying to kill the opponent, and where they readily have medics on standby. People stop the fights when they think too much abuse has been taken (That's what a TKO is), and IMMEDIATELY have medics in the ring. Deaths still happen. Take one of those guys, trained and beefy as can be, stick a steel gauntlet on their hand, and let them punch a skull. See what happens.

I'm a 250lbs heavyweight myself, and having been unfortunate enough to be in situations where I've had to fight outside of the ring, I can tell you fights are over a LOT quicker when not wearing those gloves. Imagine if it's life and death, and you're trying to kill the guy? Your fists aren't to be underestimated at all.

In game, you get stronger over time. Strength for example starts with 'nobody wants to lift those heavy ass weights' and ends in 'Mr Olympia would be proud'. If you've seen the size of those guys, that should speak volumes about how strong your character is meant to be. This would just translate into higher damage and speed at the max levels. I'm not suggesting making someone a God at level 1.

But there's also brass knuckles, spike knuckles, stun gun knuckles, armored fists, the sky is the limit. Since they apparently want this game to be all about killing zombies, they REALLY need to improve the combat system. It's been neglected for far too long. One of the most fun combat systems out there IMO, is from the Mount and Blade games.

Archived