a17 can't figure out how infection works

Spankstinator

Hi,

I'm looking for an explanation of the infection/cure system. I see a timer that is either going up or down when sick. When you take medicine there's a medicine timer that is always decreasing.

The only time i got an infection, the infection timer kept going down. I took an antibiotic which started an antibiotic timer that also counted down. Regardless of the fact that I took the drug, i still progressed to infection2 which started counting down. Needless to say I ended up dying despite the antibiotic.

I get "you feel something coming on" alot, but it always seems to go away on it's own with no progression to infection.

Thanks

The SPankstinator

Curing: Random chance to happen during the duration of the antibiotics/etc, this was confirmed by others who dug around in the XMLs.

Infection happening: If it was confirmed anywhere, I missed it. My theory is that it's based on the amount of "you feel something.." triggers that happen while the first one (or any stage of infection) is ongoing, thus if you avoid getting hit after the first instance until it goes away, you should never get infected, or at the very least, never go beyond stage 1 even if you don't cure it.

So it sounds like it was just bad luck that the infection wasn't cured by antibiotics. Tricky...

- - - Updated - - -

Curing: Random chance to happen during the duration of the antibiotics/etc, this was confirmed by others who dug around in the XMLs.

Infection happening: If it was confirmed anywhere, I missed it. My theory is that it's based on the amount of "you feel something.." triggers that happen while the first one (or any stage of infection) is ongoing, thus if you avoid getting hit after the first instance until it goes away, you should never get infected, or at the very least, never go beyond stage 1 even if you don't cure it.

Now I could be wrong here, as it's anecdotal rather than based on what the TFP have said, but it seems not to be instantaneous in the same way A16 was. Get an infection in A16, and you got it immediately, you applied whatever you needed to (honey, antibiotics, etc) and it went away immediately.

In the same way food and water slowly "enters your system" it seems the infections and the way you fight them do the same.

Upon a hit from something, say a vulture, you might see a "sad face" to the bottom left of the HUD. That's indicating that you have the possibility of an illness. That illness may be food poisoning, it may be infection (it may be other things but at present those are the only two I've seen). It's not guaranteed that you will be ill, just that you "feel odd".

After a few seconds it will either disappear (and this happens a lot for me) rather than develop. That said whenever I am in that state, I will take painkillers, bandage, and increase my food/water if possible. I have no idea if that helps but in my mind if you had a formula based partly on your condition and partly on RNG, then I'm going to get what I can to the best state and hope RNG is nice to me.

If I ever develop food poisoning (and it says on the info tab the % likeliness of poisoning) I tend to just leave it. It will debuff you and can cause you to become encumbered but it tends to be less than a couple of (real world) minutes. I guess goldenrod could work for it, I'll be honest and say I've never tested it.

However if I get an infection, I'll apply the correct meds. Unlike A16, as I say, it's not immediate. Take it and wait a few minutes. I have never had a case where infection has just started and I've taken honey and the infection has not been cleared over a (short) period of time.

I have never gone past stage 1, and I'll be honest I don't even know if the illnesses still have separate stages.

My experience is, ya feel something coming on, not always get it.

you are infected, but have a 3 min timer to get something to take care of it (honey, antibiotic, herbal)

You have food poisoning, drank the tea, and still had issues, but it only lasted 1 min...

Thats my experience and those on the server I've been on since A17 streamer release.

1) Get hit

Duration timer of "You feel something coming on."

Random chance of Infection during this time.

2) Infected

Duration timer to advance infection, stages 1-3

3) Take Antibiotics

Duration timer of drug = 600

Random chance during this time of curing your infection. 40% each time it checks

[You can get unlucky and keep rolling poorly]

Check is every 59 ticks so essentially you get 10 checks in the duration = 600

All of this has a slight delay.

Even if you get cured, may take a few moment to display.

Hope this clears things up.

Random chance during this time of curing your infection. 40% each time it checks

[You can get unlucky and keep rolling poorly]

Check is every 59 ticks so essentially you get 10 checks in the duration = 600

0.6^10 = 0.604% chance of antibiotics not curing you at all then. That's some pretty bad luck.

Archived