Alpha 17 Zombie Difficulty - Some thoughts

OkariDraconis

I wanted to start off saying I hated a17 at first, but after giving it a chance it is actually more fun than a16.. But I'll give a fuller summery later.

I'm playing at default difficulty...fyi

Right now, I feel you Fun Pimps have nailed the perfect difficulty of Zombies for the most part... Entering a POI a group of 4-5 zombies is actually a threat. Throw in Zombies that drop from the rafters on occasion and the occasional runner, I don't feel safe. Which I believe was an original design goal, and its a good goal... When I'm not in my base and roaming around, I should feel the tension of not feeling safe.

However, Horde night zombies are a different issue. At default of 8 zeds on night 14 they destroyed my tower base of upgraded cobblestone. I had wooden spikes around everything (like 100+) and once they took out the 3rd pilar my base fell apart at that point... I had Iron bars in the floor and was defending the pillars but couldn't take them out intime.

I survived the collapse, riding the wave of falling debris (This was quite fun actually), but I lost all my saved items. Eventually running out of stamina and dying to the remaining horde. Since I lost my bed I had spawned across the map.

So now, its a blood moon, hunter zombies are out, and i'm Naked after respawning... I died 2 more times since sneaking is useless, and I can only run for so long. This isn't fun. I lost my stuff and my base, (partly my fault I know). But Dying on a blood moon, and having to survive with hunter zombies with the debuff is NOT Fun..

The High and Lows of dying on a blood moon, and the thrill of trying to survive my collapse of a building, was Fun...

TLDR : To summarize my points

• Current Difficulty while exploring and loot = Perfect
  • Difficulty of Blood Moon (before death) - needs its difficulty reduce by like 20-30%
  • if there is a way to make it so Blood Moon zombies have reduced health (with out affecting exploring difficulty) would be fun. Killing more zombies is always fun.
  • Dying on Blood Moon - Should stop the blood moon for that player

Your first mistake was using spikes and not barbed wire fences. Spikes are bascally worthless in a17e in the current build, they do too little damage and break too fast. Barbed wire fences as well as slow them down, it also makes them go into their pain animation, which means less time they are swinging at your base, they also do not break down unless they are destroyed like normal blocks, so they can last multiple hordes.

Your first mistake was using spikes and not barbed wire fences. Spikes are bascally worthless in a17e in the current build, they do too little damage and break too fast. Barbed wire fences as well as slow them down, it also makes them go into their pain animation, which means less time they are swinging at your base, they also do not break down unless they are destroyed like normal blocks, so they can last multiple hordes.

I feel like you should be a salesman for barbed wire posts lol

Archived