Infection

chinothepony

A lot of you seem to not know how the mechanics of how the new infection system works and frankly, I don't have all the facts either, just going on observations.

From what I gather (and please let me know if I'm wrong), Infection has a chance to set in when your character gets the "something is coming on" debuff from zombie hits. Infection in stages, targets your stamina, cutting it down dramatically to the point that you usually can no longer melee.

Infection is no longer a long term debuff that seems to end your life if you let it linger too long (which I assumed happened in the prev alphas? I have never let infection run its full course).

In A17, I've had a run of infection right up to the critical stage where the biohazard symbol was a red beating heart.

And this is where my theory comes in. The more hits you receive while feeling sick or when infection sets in, the higher the chance that the infection will worsen. I think it can still kill you after it reaches the last stage.

Anybody else can come in on this and correct me? Or acknowledge that this is the right info?

I had an infection once but treated it with pills. Of course, i had to wait a few minutes for the infection to go away, but still it was treatable.

A similar situation like you described was when i over ate on Yucca. The first level of being poisoned is that you feel sick. If you leave it for a while it vanishes, but apparently i ate through it and got literal "Food Poisoning level 1". No source of cure so i decided to wait it out at my base.

It didn't just go after the timer finished, it went into level 2. Started losing a lot of hunger and thirst, as well as health and the beating red skull was ominously looking back at me. Still, a couple more minutes to wait it out and in that time my max health and max stamina were below 50 from 100 just a few minutes ago. As the timer finished for level 2, the debuff vanished.

I had a lot of food and drinks to replenish everything, but that one error cost me a lot of time spent on doing nothing, as well as a lot of food. I don't recommend being Food Poisoned ;)

I had an infection once but treated it with pills. Of course, i had to wait a few minutes for the infection to go away, but still it was treatable.

A similar situation like you described was when i over ate on Yucca. The first level of being poisoned is that you feel sick. If you leave it for a while it vanishes, but apparently i ate through it and got literal "Food Poisoning level 1". No source of cure so i decided to wait it out at my base.

It didn't just go after the timer finished, it went into level 2. Started losing a lot of hunger and thirst, as well as health and the beating red skull was ominously looking back at me. Still, a couple more minutes to wait it out and in that time my max health and max stamina were below 50 from 100 just a few minutes ago. As the timer finished for level 2, the debuff vanished.

I had a lot of food and drinks to replenish everything, but that one error cost me a lot of time spent on doing nothing, as well as a lot of food. I don't recommend being Food Poisoned ;)

Wow, so it looks like food poisoning works through the same states too. I think maybe if you ate one more raw yucca during the beating red stage, you might have died! Hmmmm... need to test this more.

Once I got to the pulsing red infection stage my HP (including max HP) dropped like a stone. From 150 to 40 in minutes. It stopped at 40 and was still flashing red for some time, but I had taken like 3 Antibiotics by then as I thought they were bugged (they don't insta-cure you now, it's a buff).

Once I got to the pulsing red infection stage my HP dropped like a stone. From 150 to 40 in minutes. It stopped at 40 and was still flashing red for some time, but I had taken like 3 Antibiotics by then as I thought they were bugged (they don't insta-cure you now, it's a buff).

Okay so does honey still work too? I notice the antibiotic not insta-curing later, but in the beginning when I was getting honey from stumps, I tried using it and it seemed to do the same thing. Maybe the effect went away on its own, or maybe the honey actually did remove it eventually.

Archived