Near death Trauma - My only issue with Alpha 17 so far.

rykon1459918

First up I have got to say after playing for a long time with alpha 16, alpha 17 feels almost like a brand new game and it feels amazing.

I really enjoy 99.9% of this update, the zombie AI is great, I like the new survival focused gameplay, it really feels like a more survival game and less of a clothing removal, concrete base building game.

My only issue with it is the "Near death Trauma" debuff.

I think the debuff as a whole either needs a rework or change it to run off the in game timer as right now it is a huge lockout.

Right now if one of my friends (or myself) die within the first 7 days we end up restarting the whole game as it easier then limping around with a weakened player, if its after the 7th day we end up just console commanding it away as honestly its way too punishing for the average player (might be ok for the higher skilled players).

When things like wolves, crumbling floors or even how quickly log spikes kill the player the de-buff needs a change for the more casual players.

So rather then just complain I have four ideas I'd like to put forward.

1. Make the de-buff timer a game option when generating a new game:

Basically make it so at the start of the game players without having to do any soft modding can set how long the de-buff lasts (or even if it exists) this way hardcore players can leave it as is and death is rightfully punishing for those players, but groups like myself and my mates who get together once a week to play for 3 hours don't sometimes lose a player for 1/3 of the total play time because they stepped on a spike trap guarding the base (happens way more often then we would like to admit 4 times total last night).

2. Have the de-buff time lowered by gathering and / or fighting:

A near death experience is not to be taken lightly, but focusing on other tasks can help a person get their mind off it, so why not translate to the game, if a player wants to they can lower the remaining timer by XX per task, EG: collect 100 wood or upgrade a certain number of blocks or kill a number of zombies, anything to get the players mind off the fact they nearly died, this way the player is encouraged to push themselves back out after dying and is not just relegated to afk watching YouTube in base while waiting for the de-buff to wear off (this is what two players ended up doing last night until we agreed to console command the de-buff away).

3. Have the de-buff target something that isn't related to the core skills of the game:

Being no longer able to craft a decent tool or weapon because I died is really a strange way to punish death, yes death needs some draw back but I would instead purpose a de-buff to entity damage instead, this way you are still able to do everything you could before but instead you're slower at gathering resources, you're going to do less damage when fighting but your still able to make a forge and learn to cook food.

To put point three into to context our base builder and tool creator died twice while constructing the base yesterday, he was the guy that created our bows, clubs and tools as he had 5 points in Int compared to the next highest person at 2, him dying twice meant we all lost the benefits of him leveling in this manner and again we resulted to console commanding the de-buff away as we all didn't want to wait an hour for the de-buff to fall off.

4. Have the timer run off world time rather then Real time:

We play with a speed up game (30 mins = 1 day) its more punishing the faster you have game speed turned up as you're losing more days then if the game was slower, so have the de-buff always last for 1 in game day that way faster games don't lose a player for 2+ days.

To sum up: We never once used console commands in a16 but we had to a total of 5 times last night for alpha 17 and it was all due to this de-buff, it needs some kind of change for a more causal player base and hopefully we can find a balance between hard-core and casual players.

I agree with you, but there is also another issue. Did you notice when you get cold, or hot, or hungry, you get a similar debuff. I don't know if it's exactly the same. I noticed it when I got cold coming back from getting an air drop. I was suddenly much more encumbered than I had been. I tested it and discovered I lost four inventory slots when cold.

Jesus Christ you guys...

They nerfed that already in this Patch (A17 B208) I mean I can understand that you are new players but that's how the game is now.

And for me personally it is OK because it is supposed to be hard. I play on Single Player and on Warrior difficulty and survived almost 40 Days with just 1 death so stop complaining about the Near death trauma already.

just to get that right. You said you died in 40 days just once, but flame other people who have problems which already dying alot.

It would be the same if you insult people in wheelchairs because they complain that there arent enough ramps in the city with the explanation that you only needed once a ramp in your 40 years of live. :D

Jesus Christ you guys...

They nerfed that already in this Patch (A17 B208) I mean I can understand that you are new players but that's how the game is now.

And for me personally it is OK because it is supposed to be hard. I play on Single Player and on Warrior difficulty and survived almost 40 Days with just 1 death so stop complaining about the Near death trauma already.

"Rawr I'm good at the game and haven't died so your experiences are invalid"

also, "that's how the game is now" is garbage. This is an alpha game. Even if it weren't, feedback is important. always. The feedback for the Near Death Trauma has been overwhelmingly negative...."either you don't get the debuff and therefore it doesn't affect you, or you hate it" - sums up 98% of posts I've seen regarding the topic.

With the vastly increased travel times due to slower running, less sustainability, and longer distances, odds are you're going to be dying 1km from your base or more. a 1km naked run and recovering your gear from a likely-still-dangerous location seems like penalty enough. The game is already punishing people HARD for dying...the BEST you can usually hope for is losing about 25% of a day just getting your stuff back. And that's for a reasonably short run & clear to your backpack. It gets worse in a long run, and god forbid you die again before getting to your pack and lose the marker for your loot.

variant debuffs for dying are just as bad...giving me ANY penalty, when i just died WITHOUT the penalty, boggles the mind. If a kid fails a test, they don't make the kid take an even harder test, now with no studying (run back to your backpack with a debuff...and without gear!). I'd almost say there should be a BUFF for dying, but that would likely get abused hard...so why not just....you know, dying IS the penalty?

Archived