why can I not craft this? I don't know what perk I need?

MrSamuelAdam

You need to be level 40ish. If you hover over the lock icon, it says you need INT 5 for it. Int 4 unlocks at 20, so.. yeah. No armor for you.

If you work for the trader and scrounge up a load of Dukes, you can buy armor 'out of turn'. It's an option.

Otherwise, I highly suggest Scrap armor. Cloth armor is an oxmoronic joke in terms of protection, and I can testify Scrap has saved my bacon more than once. Ultimately, perked Light armor is better than unperked Heavy, but early on, it's not even competitive.

Which icon am I supposed to hover over in that picture?

- - - Updated - - -

You need to be level 40ish. If you hover over the lock icon, it says you need INT 5 for it. Int 4 unlocks at 20, so.. yeah. No armor for you.

If you work for the trader and scrounge up a load of Dukes, you can buy armor 'out of turn'. It's an option.

Otherwise, I highly suggest Scrap armor. Cloth armor is an oxmoronic joke in terms of protection, and I can testify Scrap has saved my bacon more than once. Ultimately, perked Light armor is better than unperked Heavy, but early on, it's not even competitive.

Thanks...do I have to wait for a certain level for scarp armor too?

also, armor perks are broken, so go heavy or go home.

Problem with any armor is without mods to lower the penalties, your slowed to a crawl, especally with heavy armor. -6% move speed for each piece, thats -30% movement speed for heavy, and -20% for light for helm/gloves/boots/leg armor/body armor. There are mods you can get 2 diffrent ones, one lowers the penalty a bit, the other the more rare one greatly reduces it. Honestly, I feel its better to not wear armor at all until you find/build these mods. The -movement speed from armor also stacks with the encumbered movement speed debuff. That said even with a full set of scrap armor I didn't notice much dmg reduction when I played, I did however notice the -30% move speed.

It needs a balance pass, I don;t get why gloves/boots reduce speed as much as chest or leg armor, if anything helm/gloves/boots should have a much lower penalty.

- - - Updated - - -

Which icon am I supposed to hover over in that picture?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks...do I have to wait for a certain level for scarp armor too?

Pretty sure you can make scrap armor even as a fresh level 1, you just need the mats, its not locked behind any perks or anything.

Yeah, only nobody's complaining about how grandma's flipping you off in her electric wheelchair the minute you strap on a flak jacket and a cup. I don't TFP doing anything about it, or the stamina costs either.

That said, you can seriously beat the crap out of some zombies in armor. Just a scrap chestplate alone saved my bacon at night with 3hp left when a fatty and a burner heard a chest close in my POI.

Armor isn't for when you're not getting hit and things are going well. Armor in the early game is for non consensual touching and those brown-pants moments when you only come out with a couple HP. I'm sure all the blowhard pros are running around on the highest difficulty naked soloing wandering hordes at night with their fists and a beer, but as a practical man, ♥♥♥♥ that.

Archived