What are the benifits of level gating?

Dimpy

Look at it this way, say a player is really good at stamina management and doesn't need to upgrade, doesn't need to rush the forge as the trader has everything he needs, real efficient with loot and never needs to unlock encumbrance slots.

But this guy knows one stun can mean death. He saves all those other perks he doesn't need and wants to put them into getting immune stun and max health. He might even have enough points by lvl 15-20 to unlock a full tree, but game says No, nope u can't, come back at lvl 80!? Game wants someone ready at lvl15-20 to play till lvl 80 to unlock a tree?

I'm guessing, TFP doesn't want ppl to become over powered and bored too early game. I suggest don't make the final perks so desirable that everyone rushes to it. But level gating restrictions is not fun.

edit:

Agree maybe lowering levels would help to a degree.

I get the idea is so that players don't rush high end perk combinations like Headshot and Hidden strike (massive bow damage to sleepers), which, together, would only cost 30 points total. Rushing heavy armor, Steel Armor, and Pain Tolerance likewise would only be about 35 points to be an Axe Knight (very fun, I recommend!)

80, though, is a bit much. All the fun seems reserved for people with friends Ark/Conan style, since XP isn't split, it's duplicated between people within range, which is a good system, but bad for balance when you're putting solo vs multiplayer in the same sandbox. 2-3 players can produce multiplicative amounts of material for base defense compared to the lone survivor.

The problem is the pacing is off, the spread is top heavy, and people are feeling frustrated when they take the time to say something.

Yes single player only here, I'm actually really enjoying A17 like u say making tough perk choices is also fun. But I've been ready to buy lvl 3 cardio since player lvl 8, it's just silly I'm forced to wait till lvl 30 or find magazines or buffs from elsewhere, I think vitamins have a +1 agility. But still, not a fan of level gating.

Archived