My review so far of alpha 17

Colin248

This is a love hate relationship. i already had my worries about the alpha so i went in negative. but, i must admit, theres alot i do enjoy. So i am going to start off with the negatives.

Performance:

first of all performance seams to have tanked. my freind who has a beefy computer cannot enter the shotgun mesiah factory without going down to 10fps. so when im playing with him the zeds are jumping in super slow motion, and teleporting to a lower floor as i knock them down on the railing. i duno whats up with the performance, but it seams to be a common factor for many people.

Stamina and movement:

Second and more notable to me is the changes to the pace of the game. Movement is alot slower, and the stamina drain is total bollocks. like seriously, who was the genius behind the new stamina system? because they deserve a slap. now in fairness, the more slow and methodical movement makes the game a bit more intense, each swing and movement could be life or death. but the pace of the game comes to a crawl when your out hunting and your taking twice as long to cover the same ground as you could before. movement i can live and adapt too. but the stamina system? holy ♥♥♥♥ wellness was vastly superior to this bollocks.

Building:

going on from my second point, more a post note, why does it take 4 seconds to improve blocks now with the stone axe? why did that need to be changed. making/improveing a poi is now alot more lethargic due to it. again, kind of annoying but.... i can probably adapt past it.

Random Gen:

Third issue im having with the alpha is the look of the random gen. gone are the days of having distinctive and interesting mixes of terrain. snow is always on top, desert on bottom, and the roads are just bloody awefull. a big X. no more twists and turning roads leading you to strange places. just straight lines. honestly, it makes navezgane much more appealing.

suppose ive ragged on about the negative enough, lets go for some positives!

Melee overhaul:

love the new melee system, altho power attacks seam to just be the way to go. why bother with little jabs when you can knock your opponent flat on there ass, and when every swing counts due to this crappy stamina system, it just makes the quick attacks kinda weak.

Perk system:

the perk system is alot more straight forward. altho the level restrictions are.... a bit too restricting. ease up a bit with that and you got something solid.

Weapon quality and mods:

The quality system being streamlines is a good change! altho, the mods i would have hoped were less restrictive. found a barded wire mod but i couldent put it on my wooden club or sledgehammer. hopefully in the future we can hope eh?

Quests:

quests are a simple but neat addition, giving you reason to venture out and get interesting rewards from the traders. helps ya feel more immersed.

POI's:

oh! i only explored the shotgun mesiah factory so far, but holy hell, who ever is in charge of POI design deserves a medal. have him slap the ♥♥♥♥ out of who ever came up with the stamina system! anyways, if all POI's follow the depth and interesting design that the factory has, im am HYPED to explore the rest this world has to offer! well done, tho i hope that level design isnt what took you guys a year to release this update. >:3

I will say, neither negative nor positive, i miss the zombie loot.... getting random crap to recycle from there corpses was one of the main attractions of this game... still curious if it can be re implemented via mods. and you cant say that the loot they droped was the cause of the bad performances because the game runs worse then ever without them. XD

im certain i can come up with more but, i need to play more before that happens! so, il keep exploreing alpha 17 and eagerly talk about my views on the patch. but so far, a mixed bag with potential. seams to always be the case with this game....

I've seen someone mention you can mod in the XML the percentage change zombies drop loot. I'm sure you can balance it to your needs.

ah thank you, tho before the loot varied from zed to zed. i dont want the zeds droping the quality stuff that they already do drop. (or from my experience have.)

ah thank you, tho before the loot varied from zed to zed. i dont want the zeds droping the quality stuff that they already do drop. (or from my experience have.)

Yes the loot they drop is really nice and it could be OP if they dropped loot all the time now.

Personally I don't miss looting the zombies. I felt obligated to before but it was a big time sink. I never played a world long enough to really need a ton of glue so I don't miss the bones but I felt obligated to smash the gore blocks. It was like crack I could not stop!

Yes the loot they drop is really nice and it could be OP if they dropped loot all the time now.

Personally I don't miss looting the zombies. I felt obligated to before but it was a big time sink. I never played a world long enough to really need a ton of glue so I don't miss the bones but I felt obligated to smash the gore blocks. It was like crack I could not stop!

1st thing i've forgot for good is to loot a pile of zombies

I think one thing that bears mentioning is the length of persistence of zombie bag drops now, particularly for horde night. I noticed that by the time horde night ended at 4am, the majority of the loot bags had despawned. The duration that the loot bags persist should be increased to compensate.

Say 8 in game hours (this would ensure, say, that a loot bag a zombie drops shortly after horde night begins, will be there until 6am the following morning, giving enough time to be looted...without persisting too long. This modified persistence could be limited to horde night every 7 days, while regular loot drops during the rest of the week could remain as is. Even a setting to modify this setting specifically for horde nights would work.

Archived