Any plans to fix the zombies super hearing?

Scyris

Topic, wandering horde was like 30-40 blocks away from me, I was 8 blocks under ground as well, and somehow they heard me digging, I think the zombies need there hearing nerfed a tad, because them being able to hear me thru mutiple floors is kinda silly. Had one instances I was on the 3rd floor of a poi, and somehow a zombie I didn't kill on the first floor managed to hear me up on the 3rd floor and ran up there, was at night.

Topic, wandering horde was like 30-40 blocks away from me, I was 8 blocks under ground as well, and somehow they heard me digging, I think the zombies need there hearing nerfed a tad, because them being able to hear me thru mutiple floors is kinda silly. Had one instances I was on the 3rd floor of a poi, and somehow a zombie I didn't kill on the first floor managed to hear me up on the 3rd floor and ran up there, was at night.

Crouch. This muffles you slightly, but more importantly, gives you a rough idea of how far away your sounds travel. 30-40 blocks is easily a normal hearing distance if you aren't really good at stealth.

Ofc, mole zombies are a thing now, so it's a bad idea to assume being underground is any better than being on the surface. In fact, it's worse because you can't see them coming (maybe hear them if they're not behind you)

After playing some more I'm getting the feeling the game is starting to feel less skill based and no matter how careful we play we will still be noisy and wake up every zombie because we haven't unlocked the stealth skills yet. Choosing a poi to loot seems quite important now which feels right but the respawning sleepers and the high numbers make it seem unbalanced.

I have to say I'm feeling less connected to my character in A17. In A16 each play through I would choose different roles / weapons and level up using those items, but now that I don't have to and can do anything to level up it just feels a bit disconnected. Example, I'm going to end up with the machete and all the bladed perks, but coming to day 14 I've barely used bone shiv / hunting knife but I'm still going to end up being a leveled out blade user in the end.

In the snow biome we went into an abandoned house, were just walking in the basement , sneaking, but they heard us and headed down the stairs. Not sure how they could hear us. I guess the ninja stuff is a really important perk to have?

On a side, yet related, note: it turned into a Benny Hill thing, sneaking past the horde , going up stairs, taking a wrong turn and falling through the floor back into the center of them, only to do it again. Wish I had recorded it!

I just modified the SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\7 Days To Die\Data\Config\sounds.xml file to greatly reduce the range of sounds. Seemed to help quite a bit. I lowered all of the ranges to a max of 10, and most are 6 or below. That's probably a bit of overkill, but it was mainly a test. I'll probably play around with it a bit more, but my biggest concern is that it doesn't seem to be muffled by surrounding blocks. If I'm inside of a brick building, any noise I make should be very difficult to hear outside. Same with something like the auger underground. If I'm 10 meters down, even the auger should be difficult to hear from the surface, and virtually impossible to pinpoint.

There are 5 different sound levels, so making the changes isn't too difficult. I didn't mess with the volumes as that doesn't matter. It's only about how far the sound travels, at least for now.

Archived