MP vs SP perfomance

pewpew

I want to host private MP server at home for myself on dedicated hardware. I have gaming PC and spare PC with 4th gen i7 and 16GB RAM. Idea is to share load between 2 PC's so one does all the calculations and other does the client rendering.

Question #1 - will performance with large cities or large hordes would be better compared to SP if I run MP server on spare PC and connect from gaming PC as a client.

Question #2 - is it possible to pause or shutdown server when it is not needed and resume progress when I want to play again

Gaming PC 8700k, 32GB RAM, m.2 Samsung 960 EVO, GTX 1080

Spare PC 4770k, 16GB RAM, SATA SSD.

Set up a headless Linux dedi on the spare PC.

For Question 1: Performance in this area is mostly limited to CPU and RAM on local client. Since you have 32GB on your main PC, you would not see a lot of difference by hosting on another. There will be a little bit of improvement if hosting with a few people, but it's not going to be real significant.

For Question 2: The dedicated server clock only runs when people are logged into it. Alternatively you could turn it on and off at will.

You're basically where I was back at the beginning on a10 when I started hosting for our group.

I totally agree with SylenThunder...

But - one thing is with hosting the game on a server is 'actual access' to the:

"<property name="DayNightLength" value="180" /> <!-- 40 minutes -->"

and

<property name="DayLightLength" value="22" /> <!-- in game hours the sun shines per day: 18 hours day light per day -->"

"We" have ours at the noted, but some say they've set theirs even longer... You can set the DyNightLength by using the registry editor, but I prefer not to. I haven't tried editing the server config file for the game to try to achieve this.

Archived