How close to a trader is it safe to build?

Duffmeister77

So my girlfriend and I are playing a random gen map on A16.4, and after a couple of weeks of getting constantly killed, we've found a city with a bomb shelter to hide in, and a trader pretty close. So we thought we'd build our horde base nearby too.

I've read about people experiencing bugs after building near traders, so I'm a little worried our base will cause problems. We can just about see the trader's flag from our base, so it's not like we'll be in danger of hitting the protected blocks at all, but are we in a particularly 'dangerous' position?

Thanks crazywildfire. So it might happen or might not... we'll keep our fingers crossed then. It's her seed, so we can presumably apply the fix on her pc. What options would we have to change first? I'm fairly sure we've got EAC active, does that matter?

Also now wondering if they've managed to fix the bug in A17....

Well here's some important information. The notable issue with the Traitor is that they will bug out and you will not be able to use that traitor until you either 'fix' it or it 'unbugs' itself and then become usable.

Next is the fix - you or her would have to find the region file where that traitor is at. Then delete that file (on her machine since she's the one hosting the game). The problem is - is that if your base is in that region, then it too gets deleted; especially if you two made it. Because once you delete a region file, anything made by a player gets wiped! Even if its a POI that you've made into your base.

Running a dedi for our group I know that since I have "Alloc's Server Fixes"/"Improvements for the dedicated server" installed I can use that to show which region files are which and fairly quickly find which ones to delete. I don't think it's made to work on clients. I haven't done this whole process but just 'looked' to see how it would be done. So - if that's the danger you're talking about then you would have to find out if your base and the traitor are in the same region. If not - then you should be okay.

I haven't seen anything on A17 that would shead any light on the subject. "They" have said that 'everything' was re-done from the ground up. So I would hope not.

To be honest I haven't delt with the bug myself so can't say to much about it besides I have seen it brought up here and seen where someone put a way to get the trader to spawn back/active again. So that is why I said you should be ok because if it does happen you can fix it. Maybe someone else will have some more info for ya.

Edit: see like above lol

Closed / Missing / Vanished Trader

Vedui has done a video describing the workaround steps for restoring the missing trader while the issue is investigated.

Vedui's thread: [FIX] the Closed Trader Bug | Quick Tips N Tricks with Vedui

Common theory from many is that living close to the trader causes the issue.

My own personal observation is that it is the loading/unloading of the chunk a trader is in when the state is supposed to change. I have had traders I never lived near, or camped near, but that I did pass near when exploring around the time they should have closed who have ended up in this state in an SP game (thus no one else living near them either).

most important thing with trader:

So my girlfriend and I are playing a random gen map on A16.4, and after a couple of weeks of getting constantly killed, we've found a city with a bomb shelter to hide in, and a trader pretty close. So we thought we'd build our horde base nearby too.

I've read about people experiencing bugs after building near traders, so I'm a little worried our base will cause problems. We can just about see the trader's flag from our base, so it's not like we'll be in danger of hitting the protected blocks at all, but are we in a particularly 'dangerous' position?

most important thing with trader is CLOSE THE DOORS BEHIND YOU. i have screen shots of wolves inside the trading post. NEVER Leave a traders doors open over night or really anytime. I suspect the traders get killed and that's that.. the inner sign says open.. but the outer doors won't open.

a tip on staying alive.. build your campfires and forges away from your initial base.. (on raised platforms 5 blocks or higher use ladders not stairs and no doors) make the bases you build in SOLID with the best material you can make. as you level up and upgrade upgrade the outer layers of foundations with brick then cement then steel.. wrap some spikes around it and nothing will destroy it. make your initial base in the middle of nowhere.. go there at night to hide .. once you can afford it build a solid 5+ block high foundation.. (so they cant bust thru your walls and destroy your chests) build your shack on top of the foundation and use ladders (no ladder on bottom spot so zombies cant climb it start second block from ground and you "jump" on ladder to go up) but close enough to farm a town and desert and snow and wasteland biome. deserts give you infinate food and water.. from the cactus.. and you can dig fast in the sand which raises your mining skill fast.. if you dig a mine. .no monsters will bother you .. when your at bedrock (and a significant distance from the opening. Just make sure you support the ceiling if a big room.. or keep the mine shafts 2 -4 blocks wide. Get used to mining (to level and protect your base mostly and secondly for resources) a deep hole in desert is where you should be at night when zombies running.. to protect your base and yourself. plus you will be getting exp instead of hiding quietly in a surface base somewhere. make sure you dig this mine with a long slope.. not straight down.. cus you will have spawns above your head.. and if that's where the door is.. your not safe.

Archived