A new spin on personal maps/New trap possibility

Dwandalin

While I know there is a long time yet before this is fully optimized and the game is out, I was playing this the other day and had an idea. What if....much like a random seed kinda thing...what if you would put in coordinates, like latitude and longitude, say...for your home town, and it would like use google maps or something, to generate YOUR hometown on the map and surrounding areas. I know it would take a bit of work and collaboration but I think it would be interesting. Especially if you could link maps. Zone out from this county, zone into another.

It would really take a lot of resources I am sure but towards the end, I think it would be very fun. Playing 7 Days to Die in the place you live. Houses, stores, roads, buildings off road, etc. All familiar but new. Of course some random wear and tear to some of the buildings as well as a few other random gen things (cars, trash, etc) but it would being a whole new fun spin to the game. (and as far as I know, not a game out there with that feature as of yet...)

As for the new trap. How about a simple but useful one. Spring board. Can even be used personally by the player to get a boost of elevation. The idea behind it is to cause knock back or interrupt attackers. The player that placed it would be able to trigger it as desired for that boost. It of course has the downside that if you miss the jump that you may be taking fall damage.

It could be placed and camouflaged on the ground(until sprung of course) or on walls to give that extra moment of protection while knocking back, and possibly stunning whatever it hit. It would be wood(or metal for higher quality), springs, and mechanical parts. Could even be an advanced one that maybe needs electrical parts to electrify the metal ones. If on the ground it would toss attackers up just high enough to cause slight fall damage(or into spikes etc) or if placed on walls knock them back 2-4 blocks. The catch is like any basic trap that has a spring to it. Resetting it after it is sprung.

While I know there is a long time yet before this is fully optimized and the game is out, I was playing this the other day and had an idea. What if....much like a random seed kinda thing...what if you would put in coordinates, like latitude and longitude, say...for your home town, and it would like use google maps or something, to generate YOUR hometown on the map and surrounding areas. I know it would take a bit of work and collaboration but I think it would be interesting. Especially if you could link maps. Zone out from this county, zone into another.

It would really take a lot of resources I am sure but towards the end, I think it would be very fun. Playing 7 Days to Die in the place you live. Houses, stores, roads, buildings off road, etc. All familiar but new. Of course some random wear and tear to some of the buildings as well as a few other random gen things (cars, trash, etc) but it would being a whole new fun spin to the game. (and as far as I know, not a game out there with that feature as of yet...)

As for the new trap. How about a simple but useful one. Spring board. Can even be used personally by the player to get a boost of elevation. The idea behind it is to cause knock back or interrupt attackers. The player that placed it would be able to trigger it as desired for that boost. It of course has the downside that if you miss the jump that you may be taking fall damage.

It could be placed and camouflaged on the ground(until sprung of course) or on walls to give that extra moment of protection while knocking back, and possibly stunning whatever it hit. It would be wood(or metal for higher quality), springs, and mechanical parts. Could even be an advanced one that maybe needs electrical parts to electrify the metal ones. If on the ground it would toss attackers up just high enough to cause slight fall damage(or into spikes etc) or if placed on walls knock them back 2-4 blocks. The catch is like any basic trap that has a spring to it. Resetting it after it is sprung.

There is a reason no game does it. Basically its impossible. They cant create buildings they don't have models of. They also can't tell WHAT a building is from google maps. Nor can they design the inside. Not to mention the fact that I can't even imagine how long it would take to create the map trying to read and render from google maps.

Concerning your first idea:

Could be possible but it sounds like a very complex endeavor. You have to calculate a voxel representation of the available data. Unavailable data has to be added in a consistent way (consistent to the voxel representation) using techniques like random interior generators.

I like the idea and I think it's easier to accomplish than a few years ago (since we have stuff like this *) but it still very difficult imo and the results may be unsatisfying.

https://wccftech.com/developers-can-now-model-game-locations-based-on-google-maps-data/

Well i know it would be a large task for sire to do the hometown map kinda thing. Individual houses an interior dedign of course is out, but areas, buildings, locations have landmark like things on Google right? Just because its a McDonald's doesn't mean it would have to be built like it or even named that, just marked as a food place, so a 7dtd prefab food place would be built there. Same for all locations. Trailer parks, subdivisions, hospital, etc would be the games prefabricated buildings. Some ruined, some whole.

I know a lot of work would have to be done for sure. I'd think this would be more of an after the game goes full release. Like a proper expansion.

It's just a dream, an idea. Maybe even a slight hope.

Archived