Multiple drawbridge base - my problems your suggestions

boyinjapan

6x10 steel spikes with overhead concrete gantry, shooting down onto visitors through 1/4 block floor. Surrounding the spikes and the gantry supports, I have dug 4 individual spike pits, 15 deep. These are covered by drawbridges the idea being, when I am cleaning up after horde night, the bridges are raised and any screamer hordes will fall into the pits. The bridges are 3 wide north and south, and 4 wide west and east.

I found that I was still getting visitors during cleanup and this seems to be the troublesome corners between the edges of the bridges. I seem to have solved this with a pair of 100 pillars, and a single 50 pillar - this combo at each corner. Which block do I need on top of the pillars to discourage spiders?

Also, in my spike pit area 15 underground, I seem to get the odd individual walking around my walkways. Am I right in saying that 50 pillars are no longer any good for being able to loot bodies and cleanup corpses and/or bash the occasional skull? The 50 pillars I have used surround two opposing long sides of each pit. Effectively the sides of the cage. What would I use instead? Quarterblocks? I need to loot and dispose of corpses, mainly. Sometimes need the coup de grace for a persistent moaner.

Perhaps if a major update isnt announced I can think about MKII version of this base, with drawbridges mounted inverted - so when open they swing downwards and away from the gantry. Also trying to get a contiguous pit so avoiding corners. Any suggestions or comments about this?

6x10 steel spikes with overhead concrete gantry, shooting down onto visitors through 1/4 block floor. Surrounding the spikes and the gantry supports, I have dug 4 individual spike pits, 15 deep. These are covered by drawbridges the idea being, when I am cleaning up after horde night, the bridges are raised and any screamer hordes will fall into the pits. The bridges are 3 wide north and south, and 4 wide west and east.

I found that I was still getting visitors during cleanup and this seems to be the troublesome corners between the edges of the bridges. I seem to have solved this with a pair of 100 pillars, and a single 50 pillar - this combo at each corner. Which block do I need on top of the pillars to discourage spiders?

Also, in my spike pit area 15 underground, I seem to get the odd individual walking around my walkways. Am I right in saying that 50 pillars are no longer any good for being able to loot bodies and cleanup corpses and/or bash the occasional skull? The 50 pillars I have used surround two opposing long sides of each pit. Effectively the sides of the cage. What would I use instead? Quarterblocks? I need to loot and dispose of corpses, mainly. Sometimes need the coup de grace for a persistent moaner.

Perhaps if a major update isnt announced I can think about MKII version of this base, with drawbridges mounted inverted - so when open they swing downwards and away from the gantry. Also trying to get a contiguous pit so avoiding corners. Any suggestions or comments about this?

Screenshots always help with this kind of thing. I know you're doing your best to describe your setup, but it'd be better for everyone if we could see it.

I like using lots of poles in all my above ground forts. 4 poles in clusters are just amazing! Them and the plates can make for some very interesting and tough forts!

I sometimes build the brute force forts but soon get tired of the constant repairing.

Archived