1s lag spikes every 30 seconds in game

Gorkil

Can't quite remember when this started, but a while ago when playing I noticed that every once in a while, there is about 1 second long frame freeze. Doesn't matter if it's single or multiplayer, the game is freezing in both modes. I play on high setting with everything on maximum, but it's doing it even if I lower everything to medium and even low settings. I tried timing it and it freezes exactly every 30 seconds.

Specs: System Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

Intel Core i5-7600K 3,8 GHz

16 GM RAM

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

DirectX 11 (Aug2009) or later

Has anyone encountered this problem or has any idea on how to fix it?

Thanks in advance

Gorkil

Most likely the issue is a slow HDD, not enough free RAM, or a hardware bottleneck.

Forgot to ask them if they've read the sticky! :)

Yes, more than likely especially if they aren't running the game on an SSD. As before:

Ideally you want:

Operating System on "C:" and on an SSD

"Paging File" on a separate drive and not a "Seperate Partition" of "C:" or any "game you run"

Game - On a totally different drive from all of the above!

For example

SSD1/HD = Operating System

SSD2 = Paging File

SSD3 = Game

"Lag Spikes" do not equate to "Freezing"

Currently there are some people experiencing 'studdering' and if you looked at the PC Bug Reports in the Confirmed section you would see it. I too have this 'stuttering' and dropped most of the settings down because 7 Days to Die is not yet optimized. The sticky talks all about that. At times I'll go ahead and throw up the settings to max on my STRIX GTX970 (Tweaking up the GPU) knowing full well that it will studder. Sometimes I can go all night without it studdering, other times as soon as I get near skyscrapers, towns, etc it will immediately studder.

I used to get these a lot, but since I upgraded to 24GB ram, I don't get them anymore. Which doesn't make much sense considering that 7D2D client doesn't use a fraction of that memory. I don't have an SDD, this is running on a physical HDD. Zero swapfile utilization, I can turn off the swap file and get the same results( yes, you really can run LInux without a swapfile if you know what you are doing).

I also upgraded to a newer kernel, and it is very possible it's the new kernel causing this (or not causing this). I'm currently on the 4.4.118 kernel.

I used to get these a lot, but since I upgraded to 24GB ram, I don't get them anymore. Which doesn't make much sense considering that 7D2D client doesn't use a fraction of that memory. I don't have an SDD, this is running on a physical HDD. Zero swapfile utilization, I can turn off the swap file and get the same results( yes, you really can run LInux without a swapfile if you know what you are doing).

I also upgraded to a newer kernel, and it is very possible it's the new kernel causing this (or not causing this). I'm currently on the 4.4.118 kernel.

My bad! I'm running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit as well as the poster. Many people whom are having this issue are running windows too. And yes - you can run Windows without a swap file but with the way things are handled - it's not advisable, besides most people don't even know it exists at all, much less know how to disable it.

Solved

Sorry for my lack of differentiation of these two terms, but nonetheless, I solved it by reducing the view distance from 12 to 10. No studdering ever since. Everything else stayed on max.

It's true that I have all steam games on different SSD than system... And I've read through the forum but couldn't find anything regarding my specific "every 30 second studder" issue.

Cheers,

Gorkil

Sorry for my lack of differentiation of these two terms, but nonetheless, I solved it by reducing the view distance from 12 to 10. No studdering ever since. Everything else stayed on max.

It's true that I have all steam games on different SSD than system... And I've read through the forum but couldn't find anything regarding my specific "every 30 second studder" issue.

Cheers,

Gorkil

Archived