Random Gen Map Size

insG_Drifter

We play a few variations of mods as well as vanilla. We pretty much know all of Navezgane. Usually there are 4 to 6 of us regularly on the servers and we’ve gone to random gen on some games.

My issue is the sheer size of the maps. I don’t want to be fully nomadic and we like to have a few strongholds where we could fight the blood moon hordes should we set too far from home.

I know the mixer file can be edited for height and levelness but I’ve not been able to find anything regarding overall size. I thought I remembered a post but I can’t find it. We would like to have a size overall between Navesgane and random map sizes. Is there a way to make this happen?

Lastly, since this is a hosted server, would xml changes to the server be sufficient or would the client also need those files as well? If anyone has suggestions or links to anything I would be greatful.

There's a specific bit you need to change. Let me go find it for you :)

EDIT: Ok, it's this at the top of rwgmixer.xml.

<ruleset name="vanilla" cell_cache_size="8" cell_size="2700" cell_offset="0" generation_distance="12500" terrain_generator="vanilla" biome_generator="vanilla">

Change "generation_distance" to a smaller number. Like 7500 as an example. That'll make a smaller map, and only the server needs this edit. :)

We play a few variations of mods as well as vanilla. We pretty much know all of Navezgane. Usually there are 4 to 6 of us regularly on the servers and we’ve gone to random gen on some games.

My issue is the sheer size of the maps. I don’t want to be fully nomadic and we like to have a few strongholds where we could fight the blood moon hordes should we set too far from home.

I know the mixer file can be edited for height and levelness but I’ve not been able to find anything regarding overall size. I thought I remembered a post but I can’t find it. We would like to have a size overall between Navesgane and random map sizes. Is there a way to make this happen?

Lastly, since this is a hosted server, would xml changes to the server be sufficient or would the client also need those files as well? If anyone has suggestions or links to anything I would be greatful.

Obviously you would need to start a new world on the server but no the clients won't need the xml. changes.

first in your rwgmixer.xml towards the top:

<ruleset name="vanilla" cell_cache_size="8" cell_size="1800" cell_offset="0" generation_distance="[color="#FFFF00"]10000[/color]" terrain_generator="vanilla" biome_generator="vanilla">

then alter the highlighted number.

then locate towards the bottom of the same file:

<biome_spawn_rule name="radiated">
	<distance_from_center range="[color="#FFFF00"]10000,20000[/color]"/>
</biome_spawn_rule>

First change the generation_distance example: "5000"

then in the other section change the distance_from_center_range="5000,6000"

there are other things you can do to make it better but that's the gist.

edit: wasn't fast enough..

There's a specific bit you need to change. Let me go find it for you :)

EDIT: Ok, it's this at the top of rwgmixer.xml.

<ruleset name="vanilla" cell_cache_size="8" cell_size="2700" cell_offset="0" generation_distance="12500" terrain_generator="vanilla" biome_generator="vanilla">

Change "generation_distance" to a smaller number. Like 7500 as an example. That'll make a smaller map, and only the server needs this edit. :)

Obviously you would need to start a new world on the server but no the clients won't need the xml. changes.

first in your rwgmixer.xml towards the top:

<ruleset name="vanilla" cell_cache_size="8" cell_size="1800" cell_offset="0" generation_distance="[color="#FFFF00"]10000[/color]" terrain_generator="vanilla" biome_generator="vanilla">

then alter the highlighted number.

then locate towards the bottom of the same file:

<biome_spawn_rule name="radiated">
	<distance_from_center range="[color="#FFFF00"]10000,20000[/color]"/>
</biome_spawn_rule>

First change the generation_distance example: "5000"

then in the other section change the distance_from_center_range="5000,6000"

there are other things you can do to make it better but that's the gist.

edit: wasn't fast enough..

Somehow I knew one of you would have an answer! Thank you both. Yes, I’m going to start a smaller world on a fresh server. Still working up to the modder stage... :cocksure:

Somehow I knew one of you would have an answer! Thank you both. Yes, I’m going to start a smaller world on a fresh server. Still working up to the modder stage... :cocksure:

you can also experiment with lowering the cell_size="1800" to a smaller size so it gives more of a chance to produce more city/towns in that smaller area but that would be a bit more of a process to find the sweet spot the server likes. If you do -100 increments. Like try "1700" load a world make sure every things ok. then lower it another 100 to "1600" etc,. Wouldn't lower it anymore past "1000" personally though.

Archived