Spike traps

Walterstj

The log spikes that you can upgrade to steel I always lay them spike side down. Zombies can walk on them and still take regular damage if the spikes were pointing up.

Makes it easier to deal with zombies imo, they don’t bob up and down walking like they typically do. It’s all the benefits of a spike with a flat surface.

I don’t see a downside tbh, I could only assume maybe it’s something that will be fixed one day, who knows.

I've only placed them right side up, but that's just an OCD type thing for me. It has to look "proper" otherwise to me it's a huge eye sore. Same with anything floating. I have to destroy it!

I'm not sure if this was a glitch with the smaller bunch of spikes, but I was ambushed (startled is more like it lol) by a couple of dogs and while I was running away I was attempting to lay down some spikes (read panic button mashing) but they came out on their side. I haven't tried to duplicate it but I will tonight. If i can rotate them like that I may start, didn't look bad at all and a bunch of them may look pretty cool.

I use a row of the 50 cement pillar. Then Steel spike on top. Looks a bit weird but holds the line. Also they become instant crawlers and they continue crawling on the row of spikes and die easily.

So the spikes lay atop of a single pillar in a row like huge pointy flowers? If that's right, in my head it looks cool!

Fall damage breaks off legs and kills dogs but in my pit ring around my house that drops 100 blocks, the zombies only have 2 blocks wide between spikes horizontally on each side so they usually bang back and forth ind'in within seconds when they hit the ground which also has spikes, or their corpse just Falls and I loot it through concrete pillars on bedrock. Ill show you my world its survival and gross.

I tried a pit trap at bedrock, granted it was only the 57 blocks or so down to bedrock... Just seemed like a waste for the dmg the spikes do, they'll do the same damage without the digging... Maybe I should revisit my pit... How did you get to 100 blocks?

The height of the ground in relation to bedrock it related to the biome youre in. I live in burnt forest for some reason so my pit is deeper than if I were in a forest or desert. And by forcing zombies to fall thru spikes its as if I forced them to crawl across a football field worth. My pit is insanely massive it started as a 19 X 19 pit 100 blocks down. Outter most ring is adobe next block in is spikes facing inward then 2 blocks worth of open space. Then outward facing spikes and the center is filled in with adobe. The center most block is hollow so I can traverse from the center of my spike moat pit to the outside. If you saw it there's much more detail than I can explain. Its a perfect end game design. But a 3rd of it got hit with an md5 error so I don't go back to this survival world often. I displaced over 50,000 blocks with steel picks to create the masterpiece.

So the spikes lay atop of a single pillar in a row like huge pointy flowers? If that's right, in my head it looks cool!

Just be careful with this layout. I'm not sure if they fixed this or not but in one build I put a row of spikes on the ground as usual. Above them I placed spikes facing outward, two high up the wall. For some reason, this made the spikes ineffective, not causing any damage. The game just treated it like a regular wall.

Pissed me off because I did the entire perimeter of the base like this, lol.

Just do a small test area 1st to make sure it's effective.

Archived