Horde nights are just so damn easy

DoJo

I have a 2000 score, haven't died in 40 hours of gameplay, and its day 161 at 23:50. I'm casually standing outside my base, whacking the occasional nurse or joe, wondering why I even built a base at all. Surely 3 cobblestone blocks would make me invinceable all night long.

While I love the concept of the game and most of the mechanics, horde night on consoles is a big let down every single time. I have never even come close to having one be challenging or dangerous =[

Can you please do some optimizations to allow for 10x the number of zombies on horde night, and increase their capabilities and remove their inability to get over a single high block?

Also, log spikes need a HUUUGEEE nerf.

with the horde spawns its all about the limitations of the hardware and Unity for the most part. SylenThunder has covered this in great depth.

I believe he's covered the optimization recently as well.

I just don't play with spikes. imho spikes are just a crutch for people who don't know how to play yet.

with the horde spawns its all about the limitations of the hardware and Unity for the most part. SylenThunder has covered this in great depth.

I just don't play with spikes. imho spikes are just a crutch for people who don't know how to play yet.

I’ve always said the same thing in regards to people using “wood spikes”. I see videos of people having rows and rows of them, looks like hundreds, you’d have to chop down a small forest... Those are usually the ones that complain about difficulty.

Personally I enjoy a good ole Reinforced steel spike, upside down, dug down 1 block, so it’s flush with the ground. I tend to not go overboard and use a very small amount but placed in good areas.

I do enjoy the amount of settings we have in private/local games but I could always use some more. I also try to impose restrictions on myself to make it a bit more rough..

Horde nights used to be more of a challenge as you got a whole bunch at once right at the start and could be frantic. The horde would increase in number until day 49, then reset to day 7. Problem was, the amount of zombie corpses began to seriously lag the game, making it almost impossible to play - the lag only cleared when you removed the corpses. The corpses were changed to break up faster which helped, but then you lost the loot.

Them they brought in the dynamic hordes, which are supposed to increase in difficulty over time and you don't get as many at a time - for a lot of us, this has spoiled horde night as it's no longer that much of a challenge. I used to look forward to horde night, now its just a matter of getting it out of the way so I can get back to building/looting.

I just hope the number of zombies are increased sometime in the future.

http://xboxclips.com/GRAW2ROBZ/b54a9866-2ec2-4d5b-b0d9-45377ac63b0e

Just my daily party. Its not even a horde night.

That's awesome.

I still genuinely feel we need a "Daily Wandering Hordes" option on consoles, already. I just cannot comprehend why the developers can't see how beneficial that would be for those of us who want more challenge and zombies!

The last time I saw a roaming horde like that was about 10 in-game days ago, and I've now got over 1500 zombie kills and zero deaths whilst playing on Insane difficulty. Where's these so called "game stages" at? It's not getting any harder, and instead, it's getting significantly easier. If we had an option for daily hordes just like the one in your video, making these encounters programmed into the game rather than them being based on luck and randomness, I can guarantee almost everyone would enable it.

Being attacked on a regular basis by massive hordes like that would make players more motivated to build bigger and better bases. And, I feel, it would also make up for those lackluster 7th day invasions, too! Just look at what all the successful mods for this game on PC are, a good number of them are for more horde encounters just like what I'm describing, which can only further beg the question why isn't this already in the base game? Because clearly this is something that appeals to a lot of people.

What about you guys? Do you see the benefit in having an option like this or do you think it would be pointless? I'm interested to know where everyone else stands on this particular subject. Or, perhaps you have ideas of your own?

Edit:

Here are my settings for future references.

Standard Options

Difficulty Settings: Insane

Zombies Run: Default

Enemy Aggression: Normal

Daylight Length: 18

Modded Options

Drop on Death: Everything

Enemy Memory: 90

Enemy Spawning: Very High

Block Durability: 100

Loot Respawn Time: Disabled

Loot Abundance: 100

Air Drops: 0

24 Hour Cycle: 120

Mark Air Drops: Off

Unowned Minibike Icons: Off

Ok, so other than increasing the difficulty to nightmare, what's the trick? My heat index must be off or broken... I have 8 forges, 4 benches, 4 stations, 6 mixers and no screamers

I'm having the same problem as you it seems. Have you tried using multiple campfires simultaneously? This is the only way I can attract screamers in my game so perhaps that'll work for you too.

Also, there isn't such thing as a "nightmare" difficulty in this game, I think that's just Ignoringmywife1 getting 7 days To Die confused with Dying Light. Which, by the way... is a game that actually does difficulty levels right! :D

I think I'm at 150% spawn rate... So I need to jack up the spawn rate and difficulty to get random, large number hordes? And no, I haven't turned on my 4 campfires as well... I'm having a hard time believing that 4 extra fires on top of everything I have running, will suddenly make a screamer appear... But I'll try it again with my campfires on and see... I know the horde nights at some point return to the original night difficulty and increases again and again before reverting back... Idk the exact number

Not sure the spawn rates for my game. All I tinkered with is how many hours of day time and zombie difficulty. Seems like after any new building I take as a new outpost and reinforce it. They tend to know when there's a party. I might of had my third screamer on at same time. Not 100% sure. I was damaged from radiation passed the oil plant. So I didn't take the time to look at the third zombie clearly. Looked like a white dress. But was stuck on spikes. After I got on the roof. It was pile of guts so not completely sure if its possible to have three screamers on screen same time. I'm closing in on 3,000 kills. Before ya know it i'll be called 10k like Z Nation tv show character. hahahaha

I think I'm at 150% spawn rate... So I need to jack up the spawn rate and difficulty to get random, large number hordes? And no, I haven't turned on my 4 campfires as well... I'm having a hard time believing that 4 extra fires on top of everything I have running, will suddenly make a screamer appear... But I'll try it again with my campfires on and see... I know the horde nights at some point return to the original night difficulty and increases again and again before reverting back... Idk the exact number

Any luck?

Seems luck is on my side again now because screamers are starting to spawn in again from using forges. 6 of 'em to be exact, all within one in-game day, bringing fiery zombies and hornet's with them. I wonder why they're only just spawning in now, though? My score was already high, I have zero deaths, and I'm playing on insane difficulty with enemy spawning on very high. One minute it feels like everything is broken and then suddenly it starts working again. So confusing, and kind of frustrating, with a little relief and happiness. Definitely a mix bag of emotions that's for sure.

Hey, can I tell you something Walterstj? I think these zombies are onto me, you know. Especially those screamers. Every time I say they aren't spawning in my game... they appear. Same with the wandering hordes, too. It's happened a few times now. It can't be a coincidence, surely. Can it? I don't know. You know what I'm thinking? I'm thinking the zombies AI is better than what we're lead to believe. You know when they're bouncing up and down on one high blocks? Or walking in circles? I think they're doing that to mock us. :o

Help...

I've had the occasional horde night seem to be much more intense than usual, so I know the hardware is at least capable of that. Hell, even wandering hordes/multiple screamer hordes are more involved than horde night. I would happily lose loot if it meant horde nights were actually dangerous.

Also, same I've forgone spikes completely. Still use a single layer of barbed wire occasionally on my open platform builds, just to slow them down so i can pop their heads off.

Just wanted to point something out.

Hey everyone, I've been reading through the thread and just wanted to point something out to all the console players that come on here complaining at the devs. It's not The Fun Pimps' fault. They have said time and time again that they do not handle the console updates. They hand stuff off to Telltale Games, who ultimately decide what to include in the console version, which somethings will simply be left out or not possible due to console hardware limitations. So please, if you're going to complain to anyone, go complain to Telltale Games.

Also, remember that with 7 Days to Die, console updates will ALWAYS be behind PC. Period.

If what i've said isn't clear enough, here is a video one of the devs, Madmole, made a year ago:

Hey everyone, I've been reading through the thread and just wanted to point something out to all the console players that come on here complaining at the devs. It's not The Fun Pimps' fault. They have said time and time again that they do not handle the console updates. They hand stuff off to Telltale Games, who ultimately decide what to include in the console version, which somethings will simply be left out or not possible due to console hardware limitations. So please, if you're going to complain to anyone, go complain to Telltale Games.

Neither Telltale Games or IronGalaxy have their own console forum website for 7 Days To Die. This is the only place where us console players can come to discuss about the game and all it's wonders.

So with Telltale Games and IronGalaxy essentially being out of the picture where else do you suggest we go complain? Also, if you could be so kind, point out where either one of us here blamed The Fun Pimps for anything to begin with.

Also, remember that with 7 Days to Die, console updates will ALWAYS be behind PC. Period.

If what i've said isn't clear enough, here is a video one of the devs, Madmole, made a year ago:

Yes.

This is old information that we're all very well aware of now.

P.S

Welcome to the forums. Be sure to enjoy your stay and have fun complaining about the complainers! ;)

Archived