Dedicated server not visible or connectable unless im in game!

DavSlo

reinstalled the dedicated server via steamCMD and reconfigured it all the same as last time only this time no one can see or connect to it unless im actually IN the game.... this shouldnt happen on dedicated right??

ports are all good, idk whats up so any help is appriciated.

Going to need more information. Server log, settings file, port forwarding configuration on your modem/router.

(Hint: Use Pastebin for the first two, and Gyazo for the third. Then just put the links in your post. Don't try attaching the image files to the forum because it will screw them up.)

Also note, that the sticky thread has instructions for most of this.

Sorry for my delayed response, but file sharing sites are prohibited where I work, so I couldn't see the logs.

First thing to note, if you're going to run the server on W10, I'd double the RAM. Unless you don't ever plan on having more than a couple of people on the server. In my personal experience, with 8GB RAM on a Linux dedi you could do 4 people easy. With Windows 10, you'll get 2 or 3 and then it will start to bog down if someone is on a minibike heading out to unexplored areas.

But that isn't related to your issue.

For your ports, you have 27000-27019. You should increase that to be 27000-27030 at a minimum, but they sometimes change the port ranges, so I personally run it up to 27055. (because they were using 27055 for something recently, but I cannot recall what it was. It's not on the list now though.)

For the server config, I recommend disabling RakNet as well as UNET.

Aside from that, I really am not seeing anything obvious here. If there is still an issue, have them ping your IP address and see if it gets through. You could have a firewall either on the modem, or the host PC blocking it.

Something I just saw...

"<!--property name="SaveGameFolder" value="absolute path" /--> <!-- use this to override the default save game path -->"

So not having the saved game folder set in the config should have the server use the default "X:\7DaysToDieServer\SavedGames" folder... But what if its confused and running off of his 'saved games folder'? That could possibly explain... I think...

I also just realised he's running the dedi on the same machine that he's playing the client on, and he's got barely enough RAM for the client. (but based on the log, that makes no sense either.)

Will check to see if I can find the server in a bit.

Update: No, was not able to see it if it was up.

Curious about your complete setup though. Your earlier comment about seeing the three listings makes it appear you are running the client on the same machine, but the server log has no GPU.

Server: He says its a dedi - which technically would be that nothing else is running on it. But it is possible he too is running the server on the same machine as the client. I have noticed that the old spec's for a server are 'low' compared to the client which as of Alpha 16 is min of 8GB of Ram, I too would say its marginal especially if they're running both on the same system.

For the 3 listings I would presume that the client is looking for servers no matter the connection, etc. so It's seeing the server on 'his loop back' connection(?), his lan, and then the 'internet' one... Or something along those lines. But one of them could be the lan connection to the true dedi if indeed he's running a dedi.

Have you tried to see what's happening at the network level?

I ran wireshark on my windows server box to (capture packets) see what ports were being seen and then what was bring forwarded or not.

I just filtered for udp and tcp for the ports that the server was configured for and I found that my firewall was not forwarding one on of the UDP ports needed for external connections.

its running on my pc (which is actually a server tower with windows 10 installed) just until i get paid, then its going on its own tower built also with server parts.... the thing is it was working until i did a clean install of the server now i just cant get it back online to save my life

Archived