Multi threaded?

TruKr

I would say no. (an educated guess)

If you do not have tons of other "Stuff" running on your comp while playing, then I think 4 cores quite enough.

Very few programs, specially games can take full or even any advantages from multi core. Best is to have one really fast core free for the game.

Basic rule of thumb is One core per "thing" so one core for OS, one core for virus scan, one core for skype, one core for game. etc. what ever you have running simultaneously on your comp. And them add one spare core.

This game used several 3rd party frameworks and libraries; Steam network and Unity game engine are the ones I know of.

Unity has multi thread support, but only Pimps know how and IF it is used. Then there is the DirectX, OS, etc that come to play.

Other than that it is alchemy, it depends on sooooo many things. Like your harddrive speed, your hd controller speed, your mem amount, your mem speed. your chipset speed and features.

4 core at high clock speed, good fast memory, good x99 chipset, PCI-channel (non-SATA) SSD fast hard drive, top of the line graphics card.

is really hard to beat as gaming rig

money spent on those will guarantee you performance improvement over spending the money on additional cores.

You could try to run the game and use some diagnostic program to see load per core and per processes.

What you are interested is "WAIT TIME" how long processes on you computer have been waiting for CPU to be available. If waittime is low cpu upgrade does not help at all. If

On linux that checking cpu wait time would be really simple, but on windows it is much harder, see if this helps: http://blogs.technet.com/b/chrisavis/archive/2013/03/25/performance-management-monitoring-cpu-resources.aspx

Ya, kinda figured they would know. Was sent here because they may answer. I am not looking to buy new parts, I am just looking for possible answers to the question "WHY did my 2500K NOT spank my 8350?" I too the GPU out of this one and put it in the 8350 system, and got better frame rate. Afterburner showed I had a lot going on with cores 1,3 and 5, moderate on 2,4 and 6, some on 7 and 8 almost flat lined. Someone told me that was just windows swapping cores, so I decided to look for answers to "is my PC sick or does my other have an advantage because of twice the cores?"

• 2 years later...
I would say no. (an educated guess)

Very few programs, specially games can take full or even any advantages from multi core. Best is to have one really fast core free for the game.

I am a professional software engineer with a background in game engines, and that statement couldn't be more wrong.

For a start, loading of assets(textures, models, shaders, scripts) is always done on a secondary thread(read: core). It has to be, or the game would lock up when it tries to load a bunch of game assets.

Also, it is very common for game engines to offload networking, UI, and collision detection/physics to worker threads as well. In fact, it's pretty much the norm that the only thing that runs on the main thread is animation, particles, and rendering operations, and occasionally, game logic.

Now, that requires that the game/engine has been designed to run like this. It's not something you can easily hack into the game later on. If 7 days was not designed to leverage the power of multi-core cpus(I think this is the case, but I could be wrong), then it would be a non trivial task to change it.

Writing high quality multi threaded code is very hard too, which is why so many programmers stay away from it.

It is true though that there are many games available that run on a single core with no problems, but they still use the aforementioned worker threads for file etc operations. Pretty much every major game engine available to developers today, uses some form of parallelism, Unity included.

Oh, what do you know, another topic where I can drop this image, lol:

052B204B3631325EA551A95E555632A497099E06

Click to enlarge.

Going by my observations, core performance still matters more than core count for this game. But, any Ryzen CPU is plenty good enough for this game. So any Ryzen with 4 cores or better (or Intel equivalent) can handle this game on max settings.

Oh, what do you know, another topic where I can drop this image, lol:

Going by my observations, core performance still matters more than core count for this game. But, any Ryzen CPU is plenty good enough for this game. So any Ryzen with 4 cores or better (or Intel equivalent) can handle this game on max settings.

Lol show off ;)

On a more serious note, I've got a Ryzen 1500x, 16GB DDR4, and a solid state drive. and I get abysmal performance on max settings. It's possibly down to my 750Ti being a bit old, so I'm going to upgrade to a 1060 and see it that improves matters.

Archived