Blueberry Ice - my first ever mod!

Requiem76

UPDATED: corrected ITEM.xml code Thanks valmar!

I am new too modding, so please don't kill me, be gentle :)

Having that said, I got ispired by Valmar's mods.

Actually the day i am posting this is the first day i attempt to write/make a small mod myself, so might I screwed up, XML editing is not my second langauge, i just looked at Valmar's codes, try to learn from that, and just started fooling around,

in my game it works, but please keep in mind, i am very new to this, but im daring to share this.

Especially where he had created custom icons, or well created him self or created for his mods, im unsure, anyhow...

Since we heat up so much in the game I added an extra drink that cools you down.

Blueberry ice!

To start you need to have the custom icon added to your local 7dtd file system.

If you already own some mods from Valmar you only need to copy and paste the PNG file to the folder that already contain's valmar's mods.

Here is the file needed with the custom icon:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/c8uaa420dj25qnd/customicon_requiem76_7dtd.zip

EDIT: ALSO YOUR CLIENTS (players on your server) need to download and place this icons locally for them to show up the icons!

Now for the Codes:

Items.XML

<!-- requiem mods -->
<item id="1140" name="Blueberry_Ice">
<property name="Meshfile" value="Items/Food/bottled_waterPrefab" />
<!--    <property name="CustomIcon" value="bottledWater" /> -->
       <property name="Material" value="glass" />
       <property name="HoldType" value="3" />
<property name="Weight" value="12" />
<property name="Group" value="Food/Cooking" />
       <property name="Stacknumber" value="100" />
       <property class="Action1">
           <!-- UseAction -->
           <property name="Class" value="Eat" />
           <property name="Delay" value="1" />
           <property name="Use_time" value="..." />
           <property name="Gain_health" value="0" />
           <property name="Gain_water" value="15" />
           <property name="Gain_food" value="5" />
<property name="Buff" value="yuccaJuiceCooling" />
<property name="Gain_stamina" value="15" />
<property name="Sound_start" value="UseActions/player_drinking" />
                       <property name="Create_item" value="emptyJar" />
       </property>
       <property name="Group" value="Food/Cooking" />
       <property class="Preview">
           <property name="Zoom" value="24" />
           <property name="Pos" value="-0.02,-0.1" />
           <property name="Rot" value="90,45,0" />
       </property>
   </item>
<!-- requiem mods end -->

PLEASE CHECK THE ITEM ID, since i choose an ID number that was not already used for me, might not mean its also not already used for you so if needed modify the number in " <item id="1140" name="Blueberry Ice"> " if needed!

Recipe.xml:

<!-- Blueberry ice  recipe.xml -->

<recipe name="Blueberry Ice" count="1" scrapable="False" >
   <ingredient name="blueberries" count="5" />
<ingredient name="snow" count="1"/>
   <ingredient name="emptyJar" count="1" />
</recipe>

<!-- Blueberry ice end -->

Feel free to adopt, rewrite or ignore this amateur mod. I had fun making this, and i am planning a lot more, I especially like creating the custom icons and make that work in game.

blueberry-ice_1.png

Feel free to feedback :)

Keep on keepin on! You'll be amazed at one little change you do yourself will lead up to. We all start somewhere and there is really a great helpful community here so don't ever hesitate to ask if you run into a brick wall.

Thanks! yeah i will! first question I might have is, (and i am sorry if i did not searched the forums correctly) is , are there free to use handy XML editors that verify xml code in colors? i mean might i miss any important characters like "</" in a code?

Im running 64-bit windows 10

Definitely notepad++, I wouldn't mod without out it.

Nice mod. You even made a custom icon for your first mod? That's awesome. It took me forever to get to that point :D

I can see this being really handy in hot areas. Look forward to seeing what else you come up with.

Definitely notepad++, I wouldn't mod without out it.

Nice mod. You even made a custom icon for your first mod? That's awesome. It took me forever to get to that point :D

I can see this being really handy in hot areas. Look forward to seeing what else you come up with.

Thank you Valmar!

To be honest creating, working in photoshop is my first trait, I have many idea's in my head how i would love to see custom t-shirts in the game which would have a property of ZERO, meaning they are meant as decorative and can be worn in hot area's :)

If i would know how to get meshes into the game I have many idea's. But as i said XML is not my strongsuit, but again Valmar it is thanks to using your expanded cooking/farming mod i started to try to figure out how the heck you got your own icons in the game.

Now i think i could just straight up asked about this on these forums, which i know have nice helpful people, but it's me as a person, I just hate to ask things without finding it out for myself.

But i am willing to share the deeper idea behind my blueberry ice to you all, as i am sure people with more XML knowlegde then me might pick this up.

As we know valmar created special crafting tables, this made me think, what if i knew how to make an icecream machine from an air-cooler?

so it works like a crafting station, you add water, fruits / vegetables, and you craft the different icecreams with that.

Although i think some of you would like this idea, it is unlikely at this stage I could pull something of like this.

however as i read before, a mod idea can not be stolen, if i merely can inspire great modders to make something like this, that is great!

and in the meanwhile I will try to make such a thing myself if I knew how too :)

Its not for name and fame, just trying to enjoy sharing idea's with this community as we all love 7 days to die, but what makes PC games even better are the people within the mod-community of a game.

I could help out with icons, as a matter of fact i am planning, strawberry ice, lemon ice etc, but now i need people who can make plantable and findable, working fruits and vegetables :)

so might i have inspired some of you awesome modmakers with this idea, please by all means! do something with it!

I got inspired by you valmar, but i must say I now tempered with one of your codes, the blueberry jam? instead of making that with a glass jar and blueberries in your crafting interface, I personally thought it would be more immersive to cook that on a campfire, also the cornbread + jam, in my game its now Cookinggrill + cornmeal + water + blueberries to make the bread with jam, so people can either choose to make normal cornbread, or use blueberries in the mix to make the stats a bit better :)

I want to thank all of you guys again for the nice reactions to this XML noob :)

Having some clothes for warmer climates would be nice.

Using an air-conditioner as a icecream machine should be perfectly possible. Also a creative use of the air conditioner. I wanted to mod one that gave out a "radius" buff, like the campfire, that keeps you cool. Sadly buffs are not my strong suit so I'm not sure its even possible.

Anyway, a workstation specifically for ice cream shouldn't be too hard to make. If you're interested in tackling it and need any help just let me know, or anyone else here of course.

You could use the workstation mod I shared as a guideline. DTD7 also shared a guide on how to make workstations which be useful to check out.

Plantable fruits and veggies is also possible and shouldnt too difficult to code either. Personally the only thing that keeps me from making a lot of new farming stuff (Carrots, cabbages, yadda yadda) is the fact that we only have a few plant models (blocks) to work with so finding a creative way to make them all distinct from one another is a bit tricky.

too keep you cool: maybe its hidden somewhere in the weathersurvival.xml, where i did saw a line that determined how much must be around you to be considered "inside" if an item could be told a radius of a certain invisible blocks is cooling, which is linked to lets say an air-cooler, then in fact standing near an aircooler would simulate as being inside a certain amount of blocks? just thinking along here :)

Having some clothes for warmer climates would be nice.

I wanted to mod one that gave out a "radius" buff, like the campfire, that keeps you cool. Sadly buffs are not my strong suit so I'm not sure its even possible.

Do you mind if I publish a mod based entirely on this idea? I've got like, 80% of it already written, including the buff effect, I just need to compile it and do some final debugging/testing. I will totally give you credit at the top of the page, for the idea, but I figured since it's your idea I should ask you before I post it.

Ha! Good stuff man, had a player who was asking me for a blueberry recipe; alas I am too busy on other things so I think I'll use this.

Blueberry ice, strawberry fields, what's next?

Vote h0tr0d 2016 -- strawberry fields...forever

Ha! Good stuff man, had a player who was asking me for a blueberry recipe; alas I am too busy on other things so I think I'll use this.

Blueberry ice, strawberry fields, what's next?

Vote h0tr0d 2016 -- strawberry fields...forever

Awesome, and feel totally free to alter it the way your players like it :) just know if they want the icon to shown up your players need to have the png file downloaded and placed in their 7dtd mod directory, but if you are using some valmod on your server they probably already have done so :)

Do you mind if I publish a mod based entirely on this idea? I've got like, 80% of it already written, including the buff effect, I just need to compile it and do some final debugging/testing. I will totally give you credit at the top of the page, for the idea, but I figured since it's your idea I should ask you before I post it.

By all means, have at it Hoss.

Also, as a personal request, don't give me credit. I don't own the idea and from the sounds of things you had the idea and began working on it long before I mentioned anything about it. I'm also sure I'm not the only one who has thought about it. Personally I wouldn't feel comfortable getting credit for such a thing and feel it sets a bad precedent. Of course how you choose to release your mod is completely up to you. I look forward to seeing what you've come up!

Valmar, alright I understand. I actually just got into modding this game yesterday so like, I just kinda opened up the XML files and did some playing around. I've got it written, I'm just waiting on the next SD2DX to be released because I use an icon for the air conditioner and I want to compile it that way. But idk I saw your idea and I was like, "ohmygosh I should totally try that I bet I could figure it out" so thats why I asked :)

this is only working local

I can not see the items on the server.. well is ee them but without icon

- - - Updated - - -

Thats because custom icons do not push to clients. You need the Mods folder installed on your client PC aswell.

Edited the first post with an update ;)

In the code remove the <!-- and -->

THIS:

<item id="1140" name="Blueberry Ice">

<!-- <property name="CustomIcon" value="Blueberry_Ice" />

<property name="CustomIconTint" value="ffffff" /> -->

Becomes this on your SERVER items.xml

<item id="1140" name="Blueberry Ice">

<property name="CustomIcon" value="Blueberry_Ice" />

<property name="CustomIconTint" value="ffffff" />