add small river transport and river currents

ziza

1) there are lakes and rivers in the game, but we do not have transport to move along them, this is not the case. It would be possible to add something like a raft for moving around reservoirs
2) It would be interesting to see the river flow system in the game, as for me it is a small detail, but it could give an impetus both visually and in gameplay

3 hours ago, ziza said:

1) there are lakes and rivers in the game, but we do not have transport to move along them, this is not the case. It would be possible to add something like a raft for moving around reservoirs
2) It would be interesting to see the river flow system in the game, as for me it is a small detail, but it could give an impetus both visually and in gameplay

The problem is that the "rivers" in vanilla RWG maps are just stamps.  They are exactly the same each time and don't go anywhere.  You could boat down them, but you're not going to go all that far before reaching the end.  And RWG lakes are almost always small and near the edge of the map and very few in number from what I've seen.  About the only large body of water is the ocean around the edges.

faatal has worked on a raft for the game, but he's said that it would only be potentially added if they did work to the water to make it worthwhile - adding water dangers, etc.  It is on their radar as something they could consider doing, but not something that is high priority for them unfortunately.  It would be nice to have in vanilla, though.  For those of us who use maps not made with RWG that have larger bodies of water or longer rivers, water transport would be really great.

If you are on PC, there is a boat mod.  I haven't used it, so can't say how good it is, but it would probably work well.

the first thing I think of when hearing "water current" is: cool! We could then emulate a train or a splash ride by digging trenches and flowing water... but... how would the game handle a circular river? and also, when hitting the "ocean" which way does the current flow ( as the edges of the map are often a large circle around the map).

I think its not really "do-able" in terms of just this.. but... like valheim: maybe they just have "wind" that pushes boats/stuff.  Making wind have a direction (could prob just have a global wind direction/velocity) and it could then have effects on boats and make sense?  I couls see maybe needing to put a flag on all boats so you know which way the wind is blowing vs anything else as you really don't care about wind for any other thing ( other than its blowing or not if wind is used to calcualte hot/cold effects, or maybe projectiles being affected)