Pictures

AidenwithAnAxe

2 hours ago, AidenwithAnAxe said:

Honestly tfp should add a feature where you can place pictures. this would be nice for decorative purposes. 

You can craft and place many of the pictures that are available in the game.  Or maybe buy and place... I haven't looked into it in a long time.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

5 hours ago, Riamus said:

You can craft and place many of the pictures that are available in the game.  Or maybe buy and place... I haven't looked into it in a long time.

Indeed. You can craft or buy “paintings” which can be selected like you would if changing the shape of a block.

I was incredibly happy to discover I could build them, as I used them to decorate my secret wine cellar base. It turned out quite nice!

3 hours ago, AidenwithAnAxe said:

but I mean like custom paintings! it would be a rather interesting addition

1. I’ve seen a few people do pixel art on the sides of buildings.

2. Too much custom opens up possibilities of illegal images, which is why so many modern games avoid customization like that.

Moderated by who?  These are not things you're adding to vanilla, but things you'd add to your own game that they devs and others will not see unless you were to get them to join your game or if you show images of it in a public location.  It is very unlikely they will add the option to vanilla to insert any image you want into the game.  That would lead to a lot of "bad" images being placed in the game that can lead to lawsuits and other problems for TFP.  It is easier not to allow such things in games.

If you really want custom art in the game, you can do so.  But it requires modding.  I don't know if there's a mod that would automatically let you place any image from your computer into the game directly, but you can create custom blocks and use Unity to build an image into a mod for use.  Not something simple to do and not something most players are going to do.  There is a video player mod that lets you play videos.

20 hours ago, Riamus said:

I don't know if there's a mod that would automatically let you place any image from your computer into the game directly

just spitballing as i love the "have a camera and take a pic and then have an in game poster/art to hang"...

There was/is? A mod that lets you put images on player made signs (i thibk) and i think you had to just enter any URL pointing to an image on the sign. So if my memory is correct then i could i imagine that you could start a web server up on your local PC to get a local URL and have it serve images from it?

Edit: looks like it may be in the SCore mod, and you have to edit the "ExtendedAigns" config in blocks.xml from "false" to "true" to turn this on. May also? Only work with gifs but i imagine any URL pointing to an image would work

Edited by doughphunghus (see edit history)

8 minutes ago, doughphunghus said:

just spitballing as i love the "have a camera and take a pic and then have an in game poster/art to hang"...

There was/is? A mod that lets you put images on player made signs (i thibk) and i think you had to just enter any URL pointing to an image on the sign. So if my memory is correct then i could i imagine that you could start a web server up on your local PC to get a local URL and have it serve images from it?

Alas, there are many of us (myself included) that play on console. So something like this is not an option. 

Hopefully we can come up with something that would work for vanilla, so it’s something we could use too.

23 hours ago, thatguybeard said:

Subnautica had the ability to build frames and then you could choose screenshots you took in game to be displayed in them. Maybe they could do that. Not exactly what you are asking but maybe more doable?

This could work, It would still give something to add as a decoration to your base/home. I would love it to be implemented but am fine without it aswell

On 9/17/2024 at 4:12 PM, AidenwithAnAxe said:

Honestly tfp should add a feature where you can place pictures. this would be nice for decorative purposes. 

This seems quite viable for solo play as there are lesser technical and no social complications.

For server play you get the added complication of having to upload, store, and distribute the images. Or, you get to upload, store, and distribute URLs of images to be found on web servers. While not a major complication, it does involve work. There might be complications in allowing certain image types. But for server play I suspect one might argue TFP or server operators start to get into social complications and depending on how much risk you assign to potential legalities, you might conclude it isn't worth the risk. While I suspect TFP would have very little chance of legal entanglements, somebody only has to believe they have suffered harm and file suit for TFP to find themselves defending themselves, bearing the costs regardless of victory.

I do like the suggestion. I'd certainly use it.

Edited by zztong (see edit history)

On 9/20/2024 at 10:36 PM, zztong said:

Or, you get to upload, store, and distribute URLs of images to be found on web servers.

About 10 years ago, I would have said that this was a good idea. But now - no.

For example, in the "Make Landscapes great again" thread, I don't see a single picture, because they are on Twitter servers. And in my country, it only works through VPN or Tor.

Everything that relates to the game must be located on the game server and nothing else. It's hard to say in advance what the client has access to and what he doesn't. He always has access to the game server.