Farm plot block

jarlath

When I put my farm plot block down on top of my horde base  it placed ok, (green outline) and then when I went to plant something there was a pink outline but still planted, what does the pink outline mean ? 

That seems to be a common occurrence when placing crops and sometimes workstations. Not sure what causes it (bug likely), but as long as the crops have at least 2 3 empty blocks (I always forget how tall corn is) above and are within ~7 blocks (I think) of open sky, they should grow fine.

I have heard of cases where fully-grown crops will cause a collapse if the underlaying structure isn't supportive enough as (as far as I'm aware and they haven't changed anything) fully-grown crops actually have more mass/weight. I've never had it happen personally, though.

Edited by Syphon583 (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Syphon583 said:

I have heard of cases where fully-grown crops will cause a collapse if the underlaying structure isn't supportive enough as (as far as I'm aware and they haven't changed anything) fully-grown crops actually have more mass/weight. I've never had it happen personally, though.

This has happened to me. I make sure my walls are fully supported before I put the Dew collector and the farm on the roof.

Since this is useful for others besides the OP, I'll just paste what I said to them in message when they messaged me the same question:

There is a bug that has been around for a very long time where stability isn't calculated correctly for certain things, and crops are one of those.  As long as you have support, it is fine.  If you are putting a farm in the middle of a large roof without any support except on the edges, the weight of the fully grown plant could cause a collapse.  But if you are within 5-7 blocks or so if a wall or a support pillar underneath, it will be fine and you can ignore that. 

However, if you see that when building, it means placing that block will likely cause a collapse, so be careful with other things than crops.

13 hours ago, Riamus said:

If you are putting a farm in the middle of a large roof without any support except on the edges, the weight of the fully grown plant could cause a collapse.

Now it's clear why my house collapsed. There was a case, I built it this way.