Humble requests from a Peasant

AcobTheMeek

16 minutes ago, AcobTheMeek said:

I totally understand where you're coming from on keeping it a struggle and that its half the fun...I love the game. All I was doing was teasing and pushing boundaries on ideas that maybe they game can change in little ways. The idea is that it's an apocalypse. I'm sure a cook survives. A doctor. An engineer. I guess it's more along the lines of maybe making navigate more alive I guess. Same with bandits an all they plan to do with the game. 

Hoping bandits can be turned off or relegated to a story map. Don’t want them, don’t need them, did not like when human npcs were added to FO76,  and think this game will lose that same amazing feel that FO76 lost from the addition. But I know a lot of people want bandits and the kickstarter goals so I’m begrudgingly okay that they will eventually show up. Just really hoping I can keep them out of my world.

Look adding npcs that help out, would rather have them spend time on other things. Adding npcs that you have to recruit to get certain items, I’m against that. Would lessen the sandbox I like. Don’t like that about solar cells as well but that was already there, so be it. I don’t want more of that.

13 minutes ago, AcobTheMeek said:

I'm not trying to make the game easier per sey just more "alive Ina dead world"

Want a live game? Play on a dedicated server. You're riding a motorcycle around a bend, and a truck hits you head-on. You want to make a concrete mixer, but then you realize that someone has already taken apart all the cars within a 5-kilometer radius and you won't have an engine. You forgot to lock the house and went out, came back and the house was empty.

7 minutes ago, thatguybeard said:

Hoping bandits can be turned off or relegated to a story map. Don’t want them, don’t need them, did not like when human npcs were added to FO76,  and think this game will lose that same amazing feel that FO76 lost from the addition. But I know a lot of people want bandits and the kickstarter goals so I’m begrudgingly okay that they will eventually show up. Just really hoping I can keep them out of my world.

Look adding npcs that help out, would rather have them spend time on other things. Adding npcs that you have to recruit to get certain items, I’m against that. Would lessen the sandbox I like. Don’t like that about solar cells as well but that was already there, so be it. I don’t want more of that.

I understand how that could cheapen the lone wolf experience. I'm super interested to see how they deal with bandits. How there AI works and how they will attack your base 

4 minutes ago, Suxar said:

Want a live game? Play on a dedicated server. You're riding a motorcycle around a bend, and a truck hits you head-on. You want to make a concrete mixer, but then you realize that someone has already taken apart all the cars within a 5-kilometer radius and you won't have an engine. You forgot to lock the house and went out, came back and the house was empty.

Well im on Console so my world is alittle dimmer then the  PC Master race 😂 ,but I ment more alive in the sense of things to do. They should let use tranq animals and keep them. You know how many hrs I'd put into farming? Or getting all the high end base npcs? All of this on a non dedicated server. I didn't mean an MMO. I'm not complaining on how much there is to do. I love this game and have only played alpha 13. I just walked through the Veil of alpha 1 and I can't help but scream for joy and think about what it could be. 

11 minutes ago, AcobTheMeek said:

Well im on Console so my world is alittle dimmer then the  PC Master race 😂 ,but I ment more alive in the sense of things to do.

Wait a little and the console and PC will be able to play on the same server.

11 minutes ago, AcobTheMeek said:

They should let use tranq animals and keep them.

The developers responded that this would not happen.

19 minutes ago, Suxar said:

Wait a little and the console and PC will be able to play on the same server.

The developers responded that this would not happen.

I've been told...yet I still think its an untapped potential that could really add a whole new layer to the game. Funpimps if you're reading this....thank you for a wonderful game. Please let us keep pets so my wife can have a zoo 😂 Thank you for your time :)

Just now, Suxar said:

Zombies love to eat animals. This won't be a zoo, but a lure for hordes of hungry zombies.

Of course! And how rad would that be to manage and keep your farm safe. Give them all heat signatures. Give us gaurd dogs or turrets that repell zombies. Make them Hella hard to get/breed/ manufacture. 

Just now, AcobTheMeek said:

Of course! And how rad would that be to manage and keep your farm safe. Give them all heat signatures. Give us gaurd dogs or turrets that repell zombies. Make them Hella hard to get/breed/ manufacture. 

Apocalyptic Scarecrows :)

It seems some people expect the game to be different from what it is.  This game is at least partly a crafting game (that includes farming and cooking as those are types of crafting).  Just because you don't enjoy doing those tasks doesn't mean they shouldn't be part of your routine in this game.  Using an NPC to do your work for you isn't a good thing, imo.  If you don't enjoy doing tasks, then this isn't really the right game for you.  Not every game will have everything you like and some types of games will have daily tasks you need to do and aren't going to automate it for you.  You either accept that's true for those games or you don't play them.  They won't automate these tasks in this game and if you're on console, you already know you can't mod it, so you either accept that you have to do tasks or you just don't play the game.

Automation = definitely not happening.

NPCs for your base = extremely unlikely unless part of a DLC.

NPCs at traders or bandit compounds that are just there for looks = very possible, but again... "just for looks".

Farming made faster or easier = far greater chance that it will be slowed down as they've been working on reducing the ease at which players get water and food.

The only thing I'd want to see as a QoL for cooking and crafting is the ability to automatically add enough fuel to the workstation if you have enough in your inventory.  Or, at the very least, have Shift = 10 pieces and Ctrl = 100 pieces.  It takes too long to get the right amount of fuel and I hate wasting it by just tossing a ton in there instead of counting it out.  People do ask for crafting from nearby crates often enough and I am not against that, though I see no real need.  If you organize things, it takes very little time to grab the necessary components.  It would be faster, yes.  But is it really necessary?  I don't really think so.  But I'm not against that.  But doing your cooking for you?  Making farming even faster than it already is?  No, thanks.

As far as pets and a zoo.... this isn't a zoo game or an animal game.  It's a survival game (at least in part).  You might have something like chicken coops in a survivor camp, but you're not going to build a zoo.  It's important to understand what a game is and what it isn't.  If you want a different kind of game, then there are plenty to choose from.

36 minutes ago, Riamus said:

It seems some people expect the game to be different from what it is.  This game is at least partly a crafting game (that includes farming and cooking as those are types of crafting).  Just because you don't enjoy doing those tasks doesn't mean they shouldn't be part of your routine in this game.  Using an NPC to do your work for you isn't a good thing, imo.  If you don't enjoy doing tasks, then this isn't really the right game for you.  Not every game will have everything you like and some types of games will have daily tasks you need to do and aren't going to automate it for you.  You either accept that's true for those games or you don't play them.  They won't automate these tasks in this game and if you're on console, you already know you can't mod it, so you either accept that you have to do tasks or you just don't play the game.

Automation = definitely not happening.

NPCs for your base = extremely unlikely unless part of a DLC.

NPCs at traders or bandit compounds that are just there for looks = very possible, but again... "just for looks".

Farming made faster or easier = far greater chance that it will be slowed down as they've been working on reducing the ease at which players get water and food.

The only thing I'd want to see as a QoL for cooking and crafting is the ability to automatically add enough fuel to the workstation if you have enough in your inventory.  Or, at the very least, have Shift = 10 pieces and Ctrl = 100 pieces.  It takes too long to get the right amount of fuel and I hate wasting it by just tossing a ton in there instead of counting it out.  People do ask for crafting from nearby crates often enough and I am not against that, though I see no real need.  If you organize things, it takes very little time to grab the necessary components.  It would be faster, yes.  But is it really necessary?  I don't really think so.  But I'm not against that.  But doing your cooking for you?  Making farming even faster than it already is?  No, thanks.

As far as pets and a zoo.... this isn't a zoo game or an animal game.  It's a survival game (at least in part).  You might have something like chicken coops in a survivor camp, but you're not going to build a zoo.  It's important to understand what a game is and what it isn't.  If you want a different kind of game, then there are plenty to choose from.

The perfect fuel is a wonderful idea :)

I want you to know that I love this game. I have 1000s of hours playing this game. So I'm not coming here with 5 hrs of gameplay and complaining it's too hard....

I'm writing this bc i can see the future with this game...they will never be finished with this game...so how can we make th world richer. More alive. More to do. 

Also to your point of knowing a game is or isnt...as one who has spent 98% in version 13. Electric systems, quest system with the trader, robotic turrets, and a robotic companion from my perspective could be argued they made the game too easy and not what it should be. Change is coming my friend. Embrace it :) I mean no disrespect and Hate. Just love :)

Their roadmap shows the end of the main development of this game.  They will still do some DLC, of course.  But they will be moving on to a different game that they've already started developing but haven't told us what it is yet.

3 minutes ago, Riamus said:

Their roadmap shows the end of the main development of this game.  They will still do some DLC, of course.  But they will be moving on to a different game that they've already started developing but haven't told us what it is yet.

Thats awesome :) I'm super ready for whatever they make next. I wish bloodmoons was for console. 

14 hours ago, Riamus said:

The only thing I'd want to see as a QoL for cooking and crafting is the ability to automatically add enough fuel to the workstation if you have enough in your inventory.  Or, at the very least, have Shift = 10 pieces and Ctrl = 100 pieces.  It takes too long to get the right amount of fuel and I hate wasting it by just tossing a ton in there instead of counting it out. 

Usually I threw a full pack of wood and didn't bother. However, now playing on a server where tree seeds are disabled, it has become a problem for me. Although counting the required amount of fuel from a pack doesn't take that long. There is a right mouse button ))). For me, keeping in mind the melting time of different resources is a big problem.

6 hours ago, Suxar said:

Usually I threw a full pack of wood and didn't bother. However, now playing on a server where tree seeds are disabled, it has become a problem for me. Although counting the required amount of fuel from a pack doesn't take that long. There is a right mouse button ))). For me, keeping in mind the melting time of different resources is a big problem.

No, but when you're counting out a couple hundred, it's a pain.  :)  I do tend to split stacks over and over until I get around the right amount, but that's still a pain.  Like I said, it's just a QoL I'd like and it isn't something that affects anything as far as gameplay, so should be fine to add.

7 hours ago, Riamus said:

No, but when you're counting out a couple hundred, it's a pain.  :)  I do tend to split stacks over and over until I get around the right amount, but that's still a pain.  Like I said, it's just a QoL I'd like and it isn't something that affects anything as far as gameplay, so should be fine to add.

As I've said in the past, I'd like either stations to turn off when they're out of work, or to let us split stacks into specific amounts, instead of just half or 1.  Trying to get 73 wood from a stack of 6000 is a massive pain.

3 hours ago, Vaeliorin said:

As I've said in the past, I'd like either stations to turn off when they're out of work, or to let us split stacks into specific amounts, instead of just half or 1.  Trying to get 73 wood from a stack of 6000 is a massive pain.

Yeah, turning off automatically or splitting stacks by a specific amount like you see in many RPG games also work.  Anything to make dealing with fuel for the workstations require less clicking.

3 hours ago, Vaeliorin said:

The discussion of saving fuel like this is one of the reasons I made a suggestion for some new workbenches that function with power too. 
I encourage you to check out the “industrial forge, ammo bench, and stove” topic suggestion on that.

7 minutes ago, GuardianReaper0 said:

The discussion of saving fuel like this is one of the reasons I made a suggestion for some new workbenches that function with power too. 
I encourage you to check out the “industrial forge, ammo bench, and stove” topic suggestion on that.

I don't really want new version of questions that use electricity, though.

10 hours ago, Riamus said:

I don't really want new version of questions that use electricity, though.

Idk if you took the time to read the topic, but the forge and stove have the OPTION of just functioning off a fuel source, but the auto shutoff function and higher efficiency comes with using electricity in addition to the fuel source.

Check it out if you haven’t.

On 8/29/2024 at 10:01 AM, thatguybeard said:

Hoping bandits can be turned off or relegated to a story map. Don’t want them, don’t need them....

Ditto. From screamers to traders, I can envision toggle options on the main menu that work the very same as toggling zombies on and off.

On 8/31/2024 at 12:26 AM, Vaeliorin said:

There is a problem with disabling forges. Let's say it has 6000 iron, 6000 clay loaded into it and I set it to produce 200 nails. When should it turn off?
- When will the nails be produced?
- When will the iron melt?
- When will the clay melt?
Dividing the stacks into arbitrary sizes would be more logical and easier to implement, in my opinion. Player priorities may change as the game progresses.

3 hours ago, Suxar said:

There is a problem with disabling forges. Let's say it has 6000 iron, 6000 clay loaded into it and I set it to produce 200 nails. When should it turn off?
Dividing the stacks into arbitrary sizes would be more logical and easier to implement, in my opinion. Player priorities may change as the game progresses.

You should be able to melt even when not crafting anything, so logically the solution is that the forge will stay on until all iron and clay is melted.

53 minutes ago, meganoth said:

You should be able to melt even when not crafting anything, so logically the solution is that the forge will stay on until all iron and clay is melted.

That's what you think. But I think that if the forge is running to do something, it should turn off after production. If I started it purely for smelting, then after smelting is finished.

Everyone has their own vision of the logic of work. And no matter which option the developers choose, there will be dissatisfied people.

Therefore, the option of choosing the required amount from the stack is more interesting and universal. I can quickly count firewood and ingredients for crafting and use them for many other things.

2 hours ago, Suxar said:

That's what you think. But I think that if the forge is running to do something, it should turn off after production. If I started it purely for smelting, then after smelting is finished.

This gets complicated because if you start smelting but then add a craft job, you don't want to stop it in the middle of the craft job because the smelting was finished. This could be solved with prioritising crafting, but explaining the operation of a forge in one little journal page in simple words, not really possible anymore

2 hours ago, Suxar said:

Everyone has their own vision of the logic of work. And no matter which option the developers choose, there will be dissatisfied people.

Doesn't matter, because any change gets dissatisfied people. And I can't imagine the dissatisfaction being huge because it will still be a usability improvement.

2 hours ago, Suxar said:

Therefore, the option of choosing the required amount from the stack is more interesting and universal. I can quickly count firewood and ingredients for crafting and use them for many other things.

But also more click-work, while the other solution is automatic. And it needs UI changes which is a lot more work for the developers than a simple logic to turn off the forge when empty.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

40 minutes ago, meganoth said:

This gets complicated because if you start smelting but then add a craft job, you don't want to stop it in the middle of the craft job because the smelting was finished.

Or maybe I want it the other way around?
If I remember correctly, with the Advanced Engineering skill level, you can make 1,500 steel with a full forge. I would prefer that it stop when there is no smeltable material, since smelting 30,000 iron takes more time than smelting 1,500 steel.

44 minutes ago, meganoth said:

But also more click-work, while the other solution is automatic. And it needs UI changes which is a lot more work for the developers than a simple logic to turn off the forge when empty.

Well, adding 1 dialog is easier in my opinion than adding a complex condition. Why not open a dialog with the quantity when you right-click and by default there would be a figure of half a stack? I didn't like it, I entered the figure manually.

The stopping algorithm is not as simple as it seems at first glance. Let's say I have a full forge, 6000 iron and 6000 clay are in the smelting slots. I decided to make 1 nail. I launched it. The nail was made, 1 piece of iron melted and became full. But there will be 1 piece short of clay in the forge and it cannot be melted, since it melts in 5 units. Such nuances must be taken into account.
In 1.0, a bug was already allowed with forges, with the Advanced Engineering skill pumped up, the maximum quantity is incorrectly calculated. In b336, this error has not yet been fixed. Judging by the fact that they could not fix it quickly, the calculation is already not so simple. And additional algorithms in the work will lead to even more bugs.

21 hours ago, Suxar said:

To put it simply:

if there is nothing being crafted, nothing being smelted (either because nothing is in the queue to smelt or because it’s reached its maximum). 

BASICALLY, if the numbers of materials smelted are not changing, it should turn off.

A default forge should NOT do this on its own though. It should either require an NPC operator or have an electrical (sensor) input, like I put on the industrial forge suggestion.