Consumable/ Armor Crafting/Gap

Hei how is it going everyone.

i love the game but theres a few thing ive not clue why the are the way they are atm.

* is there any particular reason on wait you cant see what you get from crafting X armor piace or cooking X thing, until you actually craft/cook  it? 
  i mean i guess it will be logical, that kind of behavevor maybe if you are not using the proper crafting station...

*Why theres always a gap betwing a hole in the ground and block you place on it?

54 minutes ago, arqfg said:

Hei how is it going everyone.

i love the game but theres a few thing ive not clue why the are the way they are atm.

* is there any particular reason on wait you cant see what you get from crafting X armor piace or cooking X thing, until you actually craft/cook  it? 
  i mean i guess it will be logical, that kind of behavevor maybe if you are not using the proper crafting station...

*Why theres always a gap betwing a hole in the ground and block you place on it?

You can get more info by clicking the different icons above where it shows the parts needed to craft something.  It's not great and really could be improved, but it will tell you stuff like what bonuses you get for armor and what the set bonuses are.

This is a voxel world where blocks (especially terrain) do not have to take up the full space of a block.  But you still place blocks on top of the full block space.  If you want to avoid the issue, dig one block deep before placing blocks on terrain and don't try placing blocks on top of half blocks or other shorter blocks.

3 hours ago, arqfg said:

Why theres always a gap betwing a hole in the ground and block you place on it?

The blocks you build out of are mostly cubes. They're always the shape you choose when placing them.

The terrain consists of a completely different type of material, where blocks next to each other join together with automated dynamic surfaces, to create an illusion of a continuous "ground".

The two are basically impossible to automate neatly. What you're seeing can be fixed by changing the behaviour of the terrain next to "a cube block", for Some cases, like the full cubes. But it would break in other combinations, causing extra dirt lips on blocks or other kinds of weirdness. Plus it wouldn't line up well to partial blocks anyway.

It's just .. kinda hard :)

Yeah, someone did a mod (or maybe it was for some other voxel game) and it was really just a kludgy hack to kinda stretch the terrain towards the blocks, I thought it looked even worse than the gap. 

Ahh. Thought the OP meant a gap under a block placed on the ground.  For gaps beside the block, those are caused by terrain density.  There's is a diamond shape and blocks are cubes.  There is a technical reason for that but I can't explain it.  Maybe someone else can.  In any case, the way to make terrain attach to a block is to adjust density.  However, that isn't something you can do in the game and is only available in the POI editor.  And it still isn't perfect because changing density can cause terrain to stick through blocks, especially in corners.

Just now, Riamus said:

There's is a diamond shape and blocks are cubes.  There is a technical reason for that but I can't explain it.  Maybe someone else can.

Apples and oranges?

The points don't line up.

Maybe some mathematician may wander by with a word for it.

5 minutes ago, Krougal said:

Apples and oranges?

The points don't line up.

Maybe some mathematician may wander by with a word for it.

No.  A reason for why terrain isn't blocks.  I'm sure it relates to smoothing terrain, but don't have details on that.

4 minutes ago, Riamus said:

No.  A reason for why terrain isn't blocks.  I'm sure it relates to smoothing terrain, but don't have details on that.

Oh, you could make your voxels block shaped, but diamonds are more efficient for rendering.

8 minutes ago, Krougal said:

Oh, you could make your voxels block shaped, but diamonds are more efficient for rendering.

And if you want to smooth out your hills, the individual "terrain blocks" won't be block-shaped anyway. There'll be a diagonal going "up the hill", and if one of the blocks isn't a "full height" one, the diagonal is clipping into an extra "block space" while doing so. It'll clip by design, even if the "default" render would be cubes.