Wasteland spawning in experimental

With the new experimental build, my quest progress was reset from Tier IV to Tier II. As a result, I used the dev quest tickets to regain Tier IV (going from level 35 to level 60 in the process (game stage somewhere around 200-250?). In the process, I reset the trader chunk and accidentally nuked my nomadic base nearby - decided to move to the wasteland and convert a Poppin' Pills POI into a base with a few turrets and shock wire. When the first night came around, the expected boost in gamestage was apparent - many more ferals and glowies. However, what surprised me was the sheer quantity. I killed at least 500 zombies over the 6 hour night (at day 20), which was far more than any non-horde night previously. It seemed like they kept spawning horde night-style. The zombies never shambled around, just spawned and immediately ran towards the base.

When I went to do a Tier IV quest the next day, I could barely progress because after clearing a few rooms, 5 or 6 ferals/glowing zombies would break in from the surrounding city area and take up my time. Overall, that one Tier IV POI netted another 100+ kills (finished around 2pm in-game). When I got to the roof, the surrounding area was packed with zombies. While not running immediately at me, the overall amount seemed much higher than usual.

Explanations I can think of for this behavior:

-Heatmap: I did recreate some of my crafting stations and place them down, with 2 forges running and 3 water collectors, alongside 3 generators to power all the defenses. This could explain the night behavior, but not the day.

-Wasteland 1.0 difficulty (playing on Warrior with sprint at night, default speed otherwise): Were spawn rates/behavior changed for this biome? All of the other biomes felt similar to how it was before, though.

-Dev tools/gamestage skip: Something could have gone awry in the process of the quick gamestage increase.

Has anyone experienced anything similar in 1.0? I haven't had this much of a thrill in a while with this game, but these recent events are definitely keeping me on my toes, having to think a lot more about positioning and use stealth a lot more intelligently. Overall a good time, but the behavior seems... off.

It's hard to say exactly since you skipped ahead like that.  That makes it so you can't determine if it ramped up normally or had some unusual skip in difficulty.  You will definitely start to see a lot more screamers at the higher game stage and maybe you had one that you didn't notice and that's why you kept getting the zombies attacking.  But normally you wouldn't have a horde situation on a horde night other than screamers causing it.  The screamers are probably also to blame for your POI problems.  Try using melee instead of guns and see if it is quieter.

Good points, I can't rule out the screamer entirely but I was listening for one and never heard anything. With concrete/rubble all around and the base being entirely on a concrete POI pad, I wouldn't have expected any tunnelers either. I do have enough dukes for a perk reset elixir, and a quality 4 machete with burning shaft - may be worth a respec to try out.

It's similar to how it was in a19 or 20, when  they made the respawn timer basically non-existent. Then they changed it back, now they changed to crazy again. /shrug

<!-- *** WASTELAND_SPAWNS -->
    <biome name="wasteland">
        <spawn maxcount="1" respawndelay="0.3" time="Day" entitygroup="ZombiesWasteland" notags="commercial,industrial,downtown" />
        <spawn maxcount="2" respawndelay="0.001" time="Night" entitygroup="ZombiesWastelandNight" notags="commercial,industrial,downtown" />

<spawn maxcount="4" respawndelay="0.033" time="Day" entitygroup="ZombiesWasteland" tags="commercial,industrial" notags="downtown" />
        <spawn maxcount="4" respawndelay="0.002" time="Night" entitygroup="ZombiesWastelandNight" tags="commercial,industrial" notags="downtown" />

<spawn maxcount="4" respawndelay="0.0167" time="Day" entitygroup="ZombiesWastelandDowntown" tags="downtown" />
        <spawn maxcount="4" respawndelay="0.002" time="Night" entitygroup="ZombiesWastelandDowntown" tags="downtown" />

<spawn maxcount="1" respawndelay="0.3" time="Any" entitygroup="EnemyAnimalsWasteland" spawnDeadChance="0" />
        <spawn maxcount="1" respawndelay="1" time="Night" entitygroup="WildGameStagNight" spawnDeadChance="0" />
        <spawn maxcount="1" respawndelay="1" time="Night" entitygroup="EnemyAnimalsWastelandNight" spawnDeadChance="0" />
    </biome>

Well it's obvious from the first paragraph that things are not as they should be, so I wouldn't chalk this up to intended results unless you start a new game. Anytime you are bringing things back from old saves/builds or are using the console to reset things all of the "why is it behaving weird" questions are nearly almost always a result of your manipulation outside of intended values.