Sprite Color Adjustment For The Color Blind

Wombread

I am badly colorblind, and my friend and I have been playing the experimental 1.0 since its release. It's been a ton of fun. Today, I learned from my friend that the Armor Kit and Repair Kit are completely different colors. I only found this out because I got frustrated enough to complain about it. It would be helpful if the Armor Kit could be a different color, like blue, to improve visual clarity.

8 hours ago, Wombread said:

I am badly colorblind, and my friend and I have been playing the experimental 1.0 since its release. It's been a ton of fun. Today, I learned from my friend that the Armor Kit and Repair Kit are completely different colors. I only found this out because I got frustrated enough to complain about it. It would be helpful if the Armor Kit could be a different color, like blue, to improve visual clarity.

If you like, I could whip up a quick modlet to do just that.

On 7/18/2024 at 2:07 AM, Wombread said:

Try this

https://github.com/BFT2020/V1.0-Armor-Kit-Accessibility.git

The modlet needs to be loaded at least on the server computer but all computers can have this mod installed

image.png.022a00d0ce4f2db0f9c46c44e33d47fa.png

The armor kit now has an armor icon in the upper left corner and the repair kit has a hammer icon in the upper left corner.

5 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

The armor kit now has an armor icon in the upper left corner and the repair kit has a hammer icon in the upper left corner.

Yesterday I was going to suggest adding icons as well. For those in the know, accessibility standards in web development require an icon or some other indicator in addition to color. Glad you included that!

23 minutes ago, Syphon583 said:

Yesterday I was going to suggest adding icons as well. For those in the know, accessibility standards in web development require an icon or some other indicator in addition to color. Glad you included that!

I didn't add any color tints as I don't know what would work for the OP.  I do know that the physical indicator or physical differences work for color blind people so I went that route as I knew it would have a bigger impact out of the gate.  I can still add color tints later but would definitely need input on what works best.

It also doesn't impact people that are not color blind as it stays the same color scheme as TFP vanilla.

Edited by BFT2020 (see edit history)

On 7/18/2024 at 9:19 AM, BFT2020 said:

If you like, I could whip up a quick modlet to do just that.

3 hours ago, 4sheetzngeegles said:

@Wombread Which diagnosis do you have. Deuteranopia, Protanopia, Tritanopia?

@BFT2020  There is a free screen overlay, called color oracle. If you are going to paint the sprites

it could help. It emulates the three different visions.

This is why I love this community.

TFP is reading, and so are we all.

That is why they changed the ore shapes, above ground. A while back, it was found that many, could not see where the ore was because

of color. So they changed the shapes.

Maybe an alternate High contrast set of icons, can be set as an option. In the game folder there is ItemIcons,  5127 to be exact, It you go through it

You can adjust the hue or submit them in a downloadable file in the mod section or to BFT2020 or pretty much anyone that like to add mods, it could become a useable mod to help others. That's part of the reason they exported them there. This is one of the best mod friendly games.

Edited by 4sheetzngeegles (see edit history)

I'm back. The conversation made me wonder what does the game look like to you. So I researched a possible full time help.

If you are on pc then try this.

Go to the windows bar lower left.    Type settings hit enter
Scroll down to ease of access.         open it
On the left in find a setting.       Type color filter   hit enter
select color filters
It should be set to off
turn on and go to the bottom on the right there are the three main filters.
select and test

this should set it for everything on your pc now.

If you need a subtle bit of richer color, you may have to adjust Color and contrast  on the monitor to find

a comfort point.

From what you described It may be Deuteranopia.

Hope this helps.

On 7/19/2024 at 9:58 PM, Banginurz said:

This is why I love this community.

I have Keratoconus so I understand what it is like living with a disability.  If there are things I can do to help others, I won't hesitate to do so.

On 7/20/2024 at 8:49 PM, 4sheetzngeegles said:

That is why they changed the ore shapes, above ground. A while back, it was found that many, could not see where the ore was because

of color. So they changed the shapes.

Even now I hardly see the difference between clay and sand, although I am not colorblind and can distinguish colors normally.