Suggestions on Games Sounds and Miscellany

UI Sounds

The new UI sounds are okay, but may further hamper performance in a game that is already wrestling with performance issues. Generic sounds for inventory items were fine, especially as quickly as we go through them, but specific sounds for different types of items is not necessary in the UI. Game world? Sure, but not UI. Were this walked back, it would save on file/disk space as well as RAM and free that up for ambient game world sounds of which there are very few, atm.

Biome Progression

Items:

Emergent group gameplay is severely restricted if, say, up to level 5 items can't be found in any biome as a rare surprise. I take it they've been mapped onto the biomes themselves: Level 1s only in Forest containers; level 2s only in Burnt Forest containers, etc. up to level 5 in Wasteland containers. eliminating the element of surprise and discovery. That the biomes become more dangerous as you go makes sense, but not sure the items should be so restricted.

Trader Progression:

Linear progression through a story mode will make sense, but linear progression in the open-ended, nonlinear RWG maps? Not so much, from my perspective. If biome-locking traders can be restricted to the Navezgane map and forthcoming story mode, there would be more spice and variety in the "MP" RWG maps randomly spawning traders as before. That's the essential difference between freeplay, onlines modes, e.g. co-op and SP or story modes anyway. Co-op and PvP modes don't need a story and characterization whereas SP and story mode obviously do. Player progression through the tiers probably would feel better if not restricted on the RWG maps, the restrictions and linearity reserved for Navezgane alone, if possible. 

24 minutes ago, InfiniteWarrior said:

UI Sounds

The new UI sounds are okay, but may further hamper performance in a game that is already wrestling with performance issues. Generic sounds for inventory items were fine, especially as quickly as we go through them, but specific sounds for different types of items is not necessary in the UI. Game world? Sure, but not UI. Were this walked back, it would save on file/disk space as well as RAM and free that up for ambient game world sounds of which there are very few, atm.

Biome Progression

Items:

Emergent group gameplay is severely restricted if, say, up to level 5 items can't be found in any biome as a rare surprise. I take it they've been mapped onto the biomes themselves: Level 1s only in Forest containers; level 2s only in Burnt Forest containers, etc. up to level 5 in Wasteland containers. eliminating the element of surprise and discovery. That the biomes become more dangerous as you go makes sense, but not sure the items should be so restricted.

Trader Progression:

Linear progression through a story mode will make sense, but linear progression in the open-ended, nonlinear RWG maps? Not so much, from my perspective. If biome-locking traders can be restricted to the Navezgane map and forthcoming story mode, there would be more spice and variety in the "MP" RWG maps randomly spawning traders as before. That's the essential difference between freeplay, onlines modes, e.g. co-op and SP or story modes anyway. Co-op and PvP modes don't need a story and characterization whereas SP and story mode obviously do. Player progression through the tiers probably would feel better if not restricted on the RWG maps, the restrictions and linearity reserved for Navezgane alone, if possible. 

Items are not restricted by biome.  They are restricted by game stage.  Biomes increase game stage when you're in them, so you will find higher quality and tier items sooner.  However, if you have a high game stage, you'll still get the highest tier and quality items in the forest.

I agree about trader progression.  It is fine in Navesgane and even pregen, but should not exist in RWG (or at least be optional).  This is also true for whatever story setup they do.  No matter how good the story is, once you've gone through it once or twice, you're not going to want to keep going through it.  It'll become repetitive and boring simply because it's the same thing over and over.  Sure, some people can repeat a story over and over without an issue (the same people who will watch the same movie a dozen times in a row), but most can't do that even with their favorite game, movie, book, etc.  Let the story and trader progression be for Navesgane and maybe pregen.  Let random maps be random.

I'm reminded by mention of zombie sounds that there is an issue with audio in 1.0. Zs sound as if they're in your head regardless how far away they are and there's no directional sound anymore, i.e. no indication from which direction they're coming. I believe this is a side effect of having the traders' dialogue play in your head regardless how far away you are from them. I understand TFP wanting players to hear trader dialogue, but even if when they're walking out of the gate? Whatever has been done to make that happen has affected all NPC sounds in the game world.

If players don't want to hear Rekt's unpleasantness, especially, which I've no idea why anyone would want to be subjected to, they should be able to walk away from it, not have it follow their every step, especially if zombie and other NPC sounds are going to be affected this way.

18 hours ago, Riamus said:

Items are not restricted by biome.  They are restricted by game stage. 

Thanks. Strange, but regardless of level and game stage, I've been consistently finding higher tier items depending on biome (1,2,3,4,5) with lower tier items spawning alongside the higher in biomes other than Forest in 1.0 according to the pattern noted. All level 6, of course, must be crafted. Don't remember that kind of specificity happening in A21, but it may be just be the result of weird rng. It's almost like biome mapping has been layered over the top of the former game stage method, but I'm not privy to how any of that being handled.

16 minutes ago, InfiniteWarrior said:

I'm reminded by mention of zombie sounds that there is an issue with audio in 1.0. Zs sound as if they're in your head regardless how far away they are and there's no directional sound anymore, i.e. no indication from which direction they're coming. I believe this is a side effect of having the traders' dialogue play in your head regardless how far away you are from them. I understand TFP wanting players to hear trader dialogue, but even if when they're walking out of the gate? Whatever has been done to make that happen has affected all NPC sounds in the game world.

If players don't want to hear Rekt's unpleasantness, especially, which I've no idea why anyone would want to be subjected to, they should be able to walk away from it, not have it follow their every step, especially if zombie and other NPC sounds are going to be affected this way.

Thanks. Strange, but regardless of level and game stage, I've been consistently finding higher tier items depending on biome (1,2,3,4,5) with lower tier items spawning alongside the higher in biomes other than Forest in 1.0 according to the pattern noted. All level 6, of course, must be crafted. Don't remember that kind of specificity happening in A21, but it may be just be the result of weird rng. It's almost like biome mapping has been layered over the top of the former game stage method, but I'm not privy to how any of that being handled.

You will still have a chance to get lower tier items.  There is a range.  I don't know how exactly that is set up, but it is in the XML if you want to take a look.

As far as sounds, if you are outside, it is still directional.  Inside, especially in different floors, it is the same whether they are below you or above you or on whatever direction.  I agree that it should be directional and volume decrease the further away you are.  But for the traders, you aren't hearing them directly.  You are heading then through a loudspeaker.  That is why you hear them just fine at the gate or even a ways away from the gate.

10 minutes ago, Riamus said:

But for the traders, you aren't hearing them directly.  You are heading then through a loudspeaker.

I'm not referring to loudspeaker announcements, but regular lines spoken by the traders at their counters. Hugh was saying something when I left his store, for example, and it followed me all the way out of the compound gate. lol Same super high volume and all. I think this has affected all NPC sounds in the game world and that's why it doesn't matter where the Zs are. You will hear them just the same as that vendor dialogue.

4 hours ago, InfiniteWarrior said:

I'm not referring to loudspeaker announcements, but regular lines spoken by the traders at their counters. Hugh was saying something when I left his store, for example, and it followed me all the way out of the compound gate. lol Same super high volume and all. I think this has affected all NPC sounds in the game world and that's why it doesn't matter where the Zs are. You will hear them just the same as that vendor dialogue.

Ah, I see.  I have a feeling that the sound of those is set when they start talking and you don't get any change as you move.  Probably easier to do it that way since there's no need to know what direction or distance they are from you beyond just sounding better.

I hear zombie direction outdoors all the time.  At least with headphones, it's usually easy to determine which direction they are coming from.  Without headphones, it can be more difficult but that's probably because I don't have great speakers.  It is when you're in a POI that the zombie outside or on other floors sound the same no matter how far away they are or what direction they are.