Multiple mod folders but just one game folder...can't find the post about it.

Am trying to find a post I am sure was made. It explained how to have just a single game on computer but have multiple shortcuts so you could pick which modded version you wanted to play.

For example I could have the vanilla game but have and icon on my desktop to gott say Darkness Falls, Ravenhearst or a multitude of folders with different mods I had added.

It was so you could have multiple mod folders and a single game folder and not have to have multiple full versions of the game added.....like I have now.

Posted (edited)

I don't know the topic but it's pretty easy using the -UserDataFolder launch option. Here is my desktop link for Darkness Falls, using a21.2 and loading mods from and saving to  d:\7d2d\UserDataFolder\DF21 (I just used "userdatafolder" for the folder name to keep it clear, can be anything).

D:\7D2D\a21.2\7DaysToDie.exe -UserDataFolder=D:\7D2D\UserDataFolder\DF21 -logfile D:\7D2D\UserDataFolder\DF21\output_log.txt -usenativeinput -skipintro

On the D drive (edit: not smiley face) i have a 7D2D folder and in that folders for each version of the game I currently have installed. I also have a UserDataFolder where all the saves and most mods go.

-7D2D
--a20.7UL
--a21.1
--a21.2
--a22
etc.
and then
--UserDataFolder
---vanilla
---DF21
---Prepocalypse
etc.

This won't work for all mods, like Undead Legacy has to be installed in the game folder, so that will get it's own copy of the game, e.g. a207UL in the above example.

And, with that setup I can use the same install of the game with multiple UserDataFolder targets (exception is mods like UL as mentioned).

Edited by seven
formatting (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

Yeah I played around with it and seems like this worked for me.

I made a folder on my D drive called 7DTDData.

image.png.f3b193136ceaf97b690fcc67d6dd8331.png

In each of the folders under Modded I added a folder with a number. In each of those I added a Mods folder with the mods I wanted in each different game. Then I made a shortcut from my vanilla game of the exe file and in properties of that shortcut I added -UserDataFolder=D:\7DTDData\Modded\Modded1 with the number at end pointing to the proper folder.

I made a shortcut for each game.

Haven't did it for overhaul mods, just for adding single modlets that I want to use.

Still have some playing around to do with it but hopefully it will allow me to have different modded games without having to have a folder for each game with a full install of the game in them....will save me a lot of space as I do tend to have a few of them :)

Edited by Gamida (see edit history)

It has worked well for me. It looks like I have 16 different "modded" folders all running from one A21 install. At 24GB a pop that's a lot of space saving. I do give them short names though, I'd never remember the numbers.

• 1 month later...

Aware this is a few weeks old now but the easiest thing to use will be the 7D mod launcher. That can host multiple mod folders (with save folders) and all run off the base steam game version.

It's not as good if you want multiple mod folders for the same overhaul mods, not really tried that, but it can install and handle the whole overhaul as a seperate version. Strongly recommend Spherii's work on this launcher.

I have used the mod laucher before. Just when it was first made I had some trouble with it and haven't used it much since.

I may give it another try later but I am just stuck in my ways now lol