Stone sledgehammer better than iron?

After finding iron sledgehammer in car, I just can't understand, why after stone sledgehammer it fills soo slow and useless.. Somebody try play with sledgehammers in 1.0?

4 minutes ago, For4ger said:

After finding iron sledgehammer in car, I just can't understand, why after stone sledgehammer it fills soo slow and useless.. Somebody try play with sledgehammers in 1.0?

Primitive weapons will be faster but hit not as hard.

When you start to get to the higher tier melee weapons after the primitive weapons (what we refer as T0 weapons), you need to perk into their corresponding perks to improve your efficiencies with them.

For sledgehammers, you would need to perk into Skull Crusher to reduce stamina usage and increase damage while Flurry of Strength increases attack speeds.  Both of those perks fall under the Strength attribute

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, BFT2020 said:

Primitive weapons will be faster but hit not as hard.

When you start to get to the higher tier melee weapons after the primitive weapons (what we refer as T0 weapons), you need to perk into their corresponding perks to improve your efficiencies with them.

For sledgehammers, you would need to perk into Skull Crusher to reduce stamina usage and increase damage while Flurry of Strength increases attack speeds.  Both of those perks fall under the Strength attribute

I know that all, spend skills on 3 lvl of skull crusher, but with that all, stone sledgehammer still better than iron one, this is main idea of my post

Edited by For4ger (see edit history)

3 hours ago, For4ger said:

I know that all, spend skills on 3 lvl of skull crusher, but with that all, stone sledgehammer still better than iron one, this is main idea of my post

It would be nice if you can give us numbers. Damage, attack speed, perhaps even DPS.

If you have no numbers, than you should ether give us examples or it might be the case, that it feels for you in that way.

3 hours ago, For4ger said:

Is the power attack better though?  Iron sledge is slower, but has a higher entity damage so the power attack for it is going to be more powerful.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Gr.o.m. said:

It would be nice if you can give us numbers. Damage, attack speed, perhaps even DPS.

If you have no numbers, than you should ether give us examples or it might be the case, that it feels for you in that way.

While playing with stone sledgehammer I easily squeezed the first week (7 night was very easy), easily killed several orange eye zombies due to control. But as soon as I switched to the iron one, the swing animation became so slow that sometimes I did not have time to knock down the animation of zombie strike, and I lacked neither speed, not endurance, nor damage, as a result, I often left the fight all wounded, so I return to stone version, hope steel would be better 

Edited by For4ger (see edit history)

49 minutes ago, For4ger said:

While playing with stone sledgehammer I easily squeezed the first week (7 night was very easy), easily killed several orange eye zombies due to control. But as soon as I switched to the iron one, the swing animation became so slow that sometimes I did not have time to knock down the animation of zombie strike, and I lacked neither speed, not endurance, nor damage, as a result, I often left the fight all wounded, so I return to stone version, hope steel would be better 

That seems like a timing issue on your part. Might just need to get used to the different speed.

Due to stamina concerns and the crowd control perk in Skull Crusher, the Stone Sledge stays usable for quite awhile. The slower swing speed and stamina consumption of the Iron and Steel Sledges does take some getting used to, but they work incredibly well once you get the timing down. Sledge's are a high risk vs reward weapon. If you're whiffing or not getting head hits, you're going to waste a lot of stamina and be in trouble.

I was just thinking about this because i'm finally back to a strength build. 

The primitive sledgehammer is serving me well on survivalist. The damage is decent, it's fast, and it's low stamina. The upgrade from a blue stone sledgehammer to a brown iron sledgehammer just isn't really a true upgrade. You gain about 20-25 damage on a power attack but you get a much slower and much more stamina costly weapon. 

But the situation turns around later as you can increase the speed of the weapon and stamina becomes less of a factor.

I don't think that the iron sledgehammer is a bad weapon as much as I think the primitive sledgehammer is a pretty OP starting weapon. it is the pipe machinegun of primitive melee weapons:)

I completelly skipped Iron Sledgehammers and used T5 stone sledge. Iron sledgehammer are waste of time - worst game in weapon IMO. 
At higher levels I still just use Stone sledge for knockdown and finnish Rads off with Steel sledge hammer.