Game stuttering

Hypax3

The game started stuttering during the last alpha. I have deleted all mods, deleted the game and reinstalled the game with the experimental release. The game still stutters or jumps forward during all movement. All other aspects appear normal. I have been decreasing all video settings with no improvement.

playing on an HP omen laptop.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Posted (edited)

I have seen the same issue. It seemed to be worse if i was looking at or moving towards buildings.  I uninstalled\reinstalled etc.  My partner is playing on a pc next to me - we're both connected to the same server, and she has no issue. Others on the same server didn't have the issue either.  So, it points to something on my machine at the moment but i have played the last 6? alphas at least on this machine and only the last one and current experimental have had the issue.  It also doesn't happen all the time...

I seem to remember (as I type this) that once having the citrix client installed was an issue but that was years ago. I might look into that tonight. EDIT - I think the issue i'm remembering was a conflict between Unity engine and Citrix workspace.  It was aaages ago.  Also - the issue only happens on servers, not when I played local.

Edited by Falconburger (see edit history)

14 hours ago, Falconburger said:

I have seen the same issue. It seemed to be worse if i was looking at or moving towards buildings.  I uninstalled\reinstalled etc.  My partner is playing on a pc next to me - we're both connected to the same server, and she has no issue. Others on the same server didn't have the issue either.  So, it points to something on my machine at the moment but i have played the last 6? alphas at least on this machine and only the last one and current experimental have had the issue.  It also doesn't happen all the time...

I seem to remember (as I type this) that once having the citrix client installed was an issue but that was years ago. I might look into that tonight. EDIT - I think the issue i'm remembering was a conflict between Unity engine and Citrix workspace.  It was aaages ago.  Also - the issue only happens on servers, not when I played local.

Your hardware is ...?

Today I watched a random streamer, he said he had the same kind of stuttering before with v1.0 - until he turned off ingame v-sync.
Not sure, but worth a test 😉

Here are the specs

MODEL 
OMEN by HP Laptop 15-dc1xxx 
SERIAL NUMBER 

OPERATING SYSTEM 
Microsoft Windows 11 Home 
- Release ID: 2009 
- Version: 10.0.22621 
- Build: 22621 
CPU 
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9750H CPU @ 2.60GHz 
- Clock speed: 2592MHz 
- Description: Intel64 Family 6 Model 158 Stepping 10 
GPU 
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 with Max-Q Design 
- Refresh rate: 144Hz 
- Driver version: 31.0.15.4626 
RAM 
M471A2K43CB1-CTD     
- Capacity: 16GB 
- Type: DDR4 
- Default clock speed: 2667MHz 
M471A2K43CB1-CTD     
AUDIO 
NVIDIA High Definition Audio 
NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM) 
Realtek High Definition Audio 

23 minutes ago, Hypax3 said:

Here are the specs

MODEL 
OMEN by HP Laptop 15-dc1xxx 
SERIAL NUMBER 

OPERATING SYSTEM 
Microsoft Windows 11 Home 
- Release ID: 2009 
- Version: 10.0.22621 
- Build: 22621 
CPU 
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9750H CPU @ 2.60GHz 
- Clock speed: 2592MHz 
- Description: Intel64 Family 6 Model 158 Stepping 10 
GPU 
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 with Max-Q Design 
- Refresh rate: 144Hz 
- Driver version: 31.0.15.4626 
RAM 
M471A2K43CB1-CTD     
M471A2K43CB1-CTD     
AUDIO 
NVIDIA High Definition Audio 
NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM) 
Realtek High Definition Audio 

Really kind of needed the log.

1 hour ago, Hypax3 said:

Sorry I’m a casual player at best. What log ?

Instructions are Pinned in the forum section and were also already posted in this thread.   Please. Even as a "casual player" you have to know how to open your eyes and read.

The post above you asked for hardware. That’s what I posted here.  No need to be a snarky ass, I can read and am trying to understand everything in the post you linked. 
My presumption was a problem with the laptop, not a game bug. 

I have a slightly different issue but seems possibly the same. My gaming laptop kinda broke a couple days ago. The internal battery had bloated and caused my laptop screen to crack. So I sent it in to get just the screen replaced as I had already removed the battery and figured that I usually have my laptop plugged in mostly so I did not need it. 

However, prior to the laptop screen fix, my game was able to run smoothly on a mix of High/Ultra settings. However, once I had issues with the battery, it did cause the game to run almost like the entire laptop was in power saving mode. I've since had the laptop screen fixed and on testing a couple of other games (Assassin's Creed Black Flag and Football Manager), it seems to be working fine. However, when running 7DtD, its like its stuck running on power saving mode. The game's FPS took a nosedive from 70-80 FPS usually to pretty much single digits with lots of screen tearing. So far, I've tried reinstalling the graphics driver and all but doesn't seem to have fixed it. Have tried reinstalling the game but it doesn't seem to have fixed it...  anyone able to give any advice?

On 7/4/2024 at 11:32 PM, meganoth said:

Your hardware is ...?

Operating System: Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22631)

System Model: X570 AORUS PRO WIFI
BIOS: F37c (type: UEFI)
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core Processor            (16 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
Memory: 32768MB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti

Display Memory: 28430 MB
Dedicated Memory: 12086 MB
Shared Memory: 16344 MB
Current Mode: 3440 x 1440 (32 bit) (144Hz)
HDR Support: Supported

5 hours ago, Euzio said:

I have a slightly different issue but seems possibly the same. My gaming laptop kinda broke a couple days ago. The internal battery had bloated and caused my laptop screen to crack. So I sent it in to get just the screen replaced as I had already removed the battery and figured that I usually have my laptop plugged in mostly so I did not need it. 

However, prior to the laptop screen fix, my game was able to run smoothly on a mix of High/Ultra settings. However, once I had issues with the battery, it did cause the game to run almost like the entire laptop was in power saving mode. I've since had the laptop screen fixed and on testing a couple of other games (Assassin's Creed Black Flag and Football Manager), it seems to be working fine. However, when running 7DtD, its like its stuck running on power saving mode. The game's FPS took a nosedive from 70-80 FPS usually to pretty much single digits with lots of screen tearing. So far, I've tried reinstalling the graphics driver and all but doesn't seem to have fixed it. Have tried reinstalling the game but it doesn't seem to have fixed it...  anyone able to give any advice?

Ok. Isolated the problem to actually being strictly down to just 7DtD. Did a benchmark stress test on my laptop and basically all hardware seems to be working as per normal. All other programs or games seem to be working fine to. So there's something about the game setting itself that is causing it to throttle itself or something. I've attempted a full clean wipe and tried starting the game brand new with no mods or saves. But it still doesn't really seem to work. I got the FPS and game performance to increase somewhat but it won't go beyond 20 FPS. Hovers around the low 10s and that's with no zombies around. If I face a horde night I think it will be unplayable. 

1 hour ago, Euzio said:

Ok. Isolated the problem to actually being strictly down to just 7DtD. Did a benchmark stress test on my laptop and basically all hardware seems to be working as per normal. All other programs or games seem to be working fine to. So there's something about the game setting itself that is causing it to throttle itself or something. I've attempted a full clean wipe and tried starting the game brand new with no mods or saves. But it still doesn't really seem to work. I got the FPS and game performance to increase somewhat but it won't go beyond 20 FPS. Hovers around the low 10s and that's with no zombies around. If I face a horde night I think it will be unplayable. 

Having 20 FPS is NOT stuttering. Totally different issue, and probably totally different solution. Please make a new thread, read the pinned thread that explains how to post a log and follow that.

6 hours ago, Falconburger said:

Operating System: Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22631)

System Model: X570 AORUS PRO WIFI
BIOS: F37c (type: UEFI)
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core Processor            (16 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
Memory: 32768MB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti

Display Memory: 28430 MB
Dedicated Memory: 12086 MB
Shared Memory: 16344 MB
Current Mode: 3440 x 1440 (32 bit) (144Hz)
HDR Support: Supported

You could try to disable VSYNC as well and see if it helps.

Interestingly I have that issue myself sometimes, but in my case the stuttering starts randomly after playing for hours and then only a reboot helps. But I have a different setup with AMD GPU and Linux, in my case it seems to be a bug in the graphics driver. Still, if VSYNC doesn't help you might also check out whether a newer (or older) graphics driver changes the situation. Third option is making a full bug report to TFP, the difficult part is giving them enough information so they can reproduce it on one of their machines.