Anyone else feel 1.0 is a major downgrade to the game?

Downgrade not really. Improvement? Definitely not. 

I like that we are getting tougher zombies sooner and they pop up more often in the infested quests. Folks need to actually put points into damage boosting stats or lower difficulty to nomad. Mind you I'm on warrior and while they do feel a bit tanky it isn't a massive difference but I do got strength 7 and pummel Pete 3, along with a tier 5 club and some mods added.  Upgrade your gear and add mods folks.

Infested caches still feel OP as with how much ammo you get.

Food and water is still ridiculously easy to obtain.

The armor system needs a overhaul with the stats and set bonuses they give.

Trader feel more balanced but having them selling crucibles is dumb. Anvil and bellows is fine crucible to make steel which is a big game changer no.

Challenge descriptions need to be fixed to actually specify what will count as progress towards the challenge. I heard that's being fixed though when they push the update out.

I'm enjoying the update so far but honestly they should have just called this alpha 22 instead of the full release version 1.0 because this still feels like it's in early access.  Especially when you consider how much balance and work the game still needs but I guess thats how games get released these days