towers randomly breaking.

9 hours ago, Riamus said:

It does get worse with vertical distance if there is air under it, which is what you're showing. 

My image with "show stability" on, how does it show any difference in the vertical? The middle pillar, which can still take blocks, is the exact same color as the side pillars that will collapse with one additional block. All the way to the top. The only color change in all of those is with the horizontal hang, while the SI will cause a fall by adding vertical weight.

10 hours ago, Riamus said:

Maybe you weren't referring to what was said about that before?

My original reply was to what looked like a claim of "a nerdpole will collapse under its own weight if high enough", and then I went on to show that the "show stability" isn't really telling much about the "physics" involved. If you see green, you're prolly actually supported, but the yellows are bad at predicting functional stability. Trying to Place-a-block works better, the placement color gives a warning and a more reasonable color progression; but that seems to give plenty of faulty predictions in the other direction, showing some blocks as always pink even if they're actually stable etc.

10 hours ago, Riamus said:

But yes, air under will reduce stability.

I would think of it as "an air block Activates stability", things with a bedrock connection aren't essentially in the SI calcs at all (other than as support faces ofc).

Posted (edited)

6 hours ago, OmegaFerret said:

I would like to thank those in this thread for explaining  things to me about this. I was really curious. Also how do you get the stability colors to show up?

1. Hit F1 to bring up the console.
  2. Type "dm" to enter Debug Mode.
  3. Hit F1 to close the console.
  4. Hit ESC and look for the menu on the right.
  5. Find there are two stability functions: Show Stability and Recalc Stability.
  6. Enable Show Stability.
  7. Force a Recalc after you make changes.

Menu.thumb.jpg.c25be4c1b7e5febe871a79d556e8d469.jpg

On 6/6/2024 at 2:59 AM, OmegaFerret said:

But the last 2 i had in my gen world crashed down as soon as the blood moon started  causing me to drop from the top down lower.  I dont know what causes this or why.

Okay, I now know. I fired up the game, found the POI, started a horde night. The cell tower stood. After the horde finished, I went below and looked. They hadn't touched the POI, so I thought I'd beat it up... All it takes to make the upper third of the cell tower collapse is to remove one block of the ladder near the ground, so a mere 500 hit points of damage and the top of the tower will collapse.

20240608081058_1.thumb.jpg.8ff797eddb79f46b1c3265db1d89d280.jpg

... leads to...

20240608081114_1.thumb.jpg.4a42f596c2a9a2918dc79c3ea2c8bca3.jpg

Edited by zztong
fix merge; more pics (see edit history)

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, theFlu said:

My image with "show stability" on, how does it show any difference in the vertical? The middle pillar, which can still take blocks, is the exact same color as the side pillars that will collapse with one additional block. All the way to the top. The only color change in all of those is with the horizontal hang, while the SI will cause a fall by adding vertical weight.

What I meant was not that the stability indication shows the difference but that you were showing an example with a tower that has air under it.  Sorry for the confusion.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

24 minutes ago, Riamus said:

Sorry for the confusion.

No worries, while we might be confused, at least zztong seems to have gotten my point (per his edit of the last post on the first page). I'm happy with that; but if you think I'm wrong about something, please reiterate - I like being correct, so I also like being corrected. :)

3 hours ago, zztong said:

Okay, I now know. I fired up the game, found the POI, started a horde night. The cell tower stood. After the horde finished, I went below and looked. They hadn't touched the POI, so I thought I'd beat it up... All it takes to make the upper third of the cell tower collapse is to remove one block of the ladder near the ground, so a mere 500 hit points of damage and the top of the tower will collapse.

Now is this suppose to happen or some kind of bug or stability problem?

4 minutes ago, OmegaFerret said:

It's, well, it's not a bug as such. The POI is designed relying on the support given by the ladder. While no real world buildings would be built like that, in 7dtd physics, it's a-ok.

We can discuss if we like the design or not, but I wouldn't call it a bug, just a design exploit.

2 hours ago, OmegaFerret said:

I wouldn't consider it a bug in the game's code. It might be weaker than the designer hoped and is ultimately best thought of as an artistic trade-off.

This isn't real-world building so the designer is at a disadvantage. Steel in-game is no where as strong as it is in real life. The game gives no credit to the structure for all of the cross posts. I'm not suggesting it should. We don't want the game to be spending all its time in Matlab simulations; we want it to throw zombies at us.