Primitive Survivor

FranticDan

Have you got what it takes to survive in this primitive world?

Ooga booga!
Yaba daba doo!

Key features:
- Quality 600 is back from A16.
- Learn By Doing is also back from A16.
- All Tier 1, Tier 2 and Tier 3 items have been removed, except the wrench. You'll only find and craft Tier 0 items.
- A19 farming is back, however, Living of the Land perk has also been nerfed.
- Reworked skill tree, similar to how it was in A17.
- Some perks have been removed, while new ones have been added.
- Canned food gives an empty can when eaten, which provides a one time use water boiling that doesn't need a cooking pot.
- You're less likely to get infected, infection treatment items give an infection immunity buff, however, once you get infected, it's permanent.
- There is no day, time, compass or map. You'll have to think of other ways to keep track of these.
- This mod turns 7 Days to Die back into a survival game again, early game you'll struggle with food and water.
- Trader compounds have been destroyed but still have loot, including a guaranteed water filter.
- Vending machines are lootable and always have appropriate and decent loot.
- Stone Axe can be used as a weapon.

Download - https://github.com/Frantic-Dan/Primitive-Survivor

Credits: w00kien00kie, Redbeard, Khelldon, aedenthorn, JoeSloeMore, Mythix, PULLMYLEVER

Edited by FranticDan (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

Hi FranticDan,

thanks for the mod. I like the idea!

We played (and streamed) the mod yesterday for the first time with me as the server and my gf as a client on a RWG map.
Some things we noticed and you might be aware of already:

1. when pressing X to lock an inventory slot we get a red error. The slot is locked and one can continue but it's a bit irritating. This is also the case when playing solo btw.

2. when my gf joined my game it gave a red error because the SaveData folder in \Primitive Survivor\Mods\WMMStashBackpack\ was missing. This seems to be created with the first start (at least it was on my side) but not when she wanted to join my game.

I saw that you made some changes to blocks.xml some hours ago. Do you have a changelog somewhere?

Once again thanks a lot for the mod and best regards,
Pundito

P.S.: I wanted to attach the two log-files from my PC (duo-game and my short solo game) but ZIP or TXT documents are not allowed :( I could send them to you e.g. on Discord if you are interested.

5 minutes ago, Pundito said:

1. when pressing X to lock an inventory slot we get a red error. The slot is locked and one can continue but it's a bit irritating. This is also the case when playing solo btw.

2. when my gf joined my game it gave a red error because the SaveData folder in \Primitive Survivor\Mods\WMMStashBackpack\ was missing. This seems to be created with the first start (at least it was on my side) but not when she wanted to join my game.

I saw that you made some changes to blocks.xml some hours ago. Do you have a changelog somewhere?

Deleting all of the text files inside WMMStashBackpack folder should remove the errors. Unsure if the errors will persist in MP.
(I've seen this error from people who were already using WMMStashBackpack in previous saves, as the inventory size is different)

I simply lowered cloth harvest from the cloth variable helper 

Posted (edited)

Hi Dan.  Just a couple of questions.  How much do you have to utilize a skill to make it go up?  I've probably shot over 300 arrows and currently sitting on 2/100 for archery skill.  At that rate, I'm not sure it's feasible to reach any meaningful level.  The same with other skills such as hidden strike. I'm at 1/100 after killing probably 50 animals while stealthy.

Do the glasses do anything?  I've found sunglasses which say perception +2.  Wearing them doesn't show a boost in my stats though.

Did you remove the cooking pot from the food truck POI?  If so, no offence,  but that seems like a big D move.  I'm on day 5 and finally found 2 trucks.  Both without pots.  Is the pot even lootable anywhere?  I've looted so many kitchens.  I can't make a forge because you seem to have removed most cement mixers and such.  I have a mere 2/20 forge ahead books required for the forge.

I'm enjoying it, even if I'm struggling a bit.  BTW, in Joel's compound, you appear to have left invisible blocks where his display cases were.  I originally tried to utilize that place for a base, so that's how I noticed it.

Cheers.

Edited by Fisher (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Fisher said:

Hi Dan.  Just a couple of questions.  How much do you have to utilize a skill to make it go up?  I've probably shot over 300 arrows and currently sitting on 2/100 for archery skill.  At that rate, I'm not sure it's feasible to reach any meaningful level.  The same with other skills such as hidden strike. I'm at 1/100 after killing probably 50 animals while stealthy.

Do the glasses do anything?  I've found sunglasses which say perception +2.  Wearing them doesn't show a boost in my stats though.

Did you remove the cooking pot from the food truck POI?  If so, no offence,  but that seems like a big D move.  I'm on day 5 and finally found 2 trucks.  Both without pots.  Is the pot even lootable anywhere?  I've looted so many kitchens.  I can't make a forge because you seem to have removed most cement mixers and such.  I have a mere 2/20 forge ahead books required for the forge.

I'm enjoying it, even if I'm struggling a bit.  BTW, in Joel's compound, you appear to have left invisible blocks where his display cases were.  I originally tried to utilize that place for a base, so that's how I noticed it.

Cheers.

That doesn't sound right with the speed you're leveling. I used the bow and club as my main weapons and they leveled at a reasonable rate, I even increased the xp gained slightly after finishing my playthrough at day 57.

Your attributes can't go beyond the level requirement, even with boosts.

There are no guaranteed cooking pots in the world anymore (they are large food piles instead), I guess it was also a 'big D move' of me to make an alternative for getting water with empty cans? Cooking pots are rare, you'll be lucky to loot one, you can always craft them once you get a forge.
You say you've looted a lot of kitchens, so you should have a decent amount of cans for water?
You only need 10 for the forge, no idea why you're saying 20. Points in lockpicking and advanced engineering are your friend.

Some invisible walls can't be removed, they give errors when trying.

• 2 weeks later...

Was able to catch some of your streams and enjoying the mod so far.  Like the difficulty and simplicity.  Having an issue though.  My game doesn't go past day 16.  Tried a couple times with the same result.  It's like groundhog day over here!  I am playing it though the mod launcher if that makes a difference.  Any idea of what could be the issue?  Thanks!spacer.png

Edited by Roughtymes
Adding body of text (see edit history)

On 5/26/2024 at 8:46 PM, Fisher said:

Had a couple start so far on 25% loot.  The cooking pot is a tough one.  Got it fast on first couple runs.  Finally got it day 8 on run I'm currently on and didn't find it at all until I made a forge on the previous run.  Loot any kitchen and you are sure to find one if you have it on regular loot abundance.  Good luck!

3 hours ago, Roughtymes said:

Was able to catch some of your streams and enjoying the mod so far.  Like the difficulty and simplicity.  Having an issue though.  My game doesn't go past day 16.  Tried a couple times with the same result.  It's like groundhog day over here!  I am playing it though the mod launcher if that makes a difference.  Any idea of what could be the issue?  Thanks!spacer.png

The dev debug slider doesn't go past day 16, that's a vanilla thing

20 hours ago, FranticDan said:

The dev debug slider doesn't go past day 16, that's a vanilla thing

Thanks for the response, Dan!  I never noticed that that it didn't go past day 16.  That being said the problem is I'm 100% certain I went past day 21 and there was no horde night.  Is that something that is supposed to happen or is it an issue on my end?

40 minutes ago, Roughtymes said:

Thanks for the response, Dan!  I never noticed that that it didn't go past day 16.  That being said the problem is I'm 100% certain I went past day 21 and there was no horde night.  Is that something that is supposed to happen or is it an issue on my end?

I would guess you've miss counted the day you're on. Having a wood sign with the day will help keep track. I played until day 57 without issues of horde night