question about entity damage scaling

hi all - 3rd post here, it has me wondering if theres a discord so I dont have to make threads on multiple things, lol...

anyways - I have created a custom buff that triggers on kill, and increases your speed + damage - that all works perfectly fine, however, the damage doesnt seem to make sense.

my custom buff mod works as follows: when you get a killing blow, you gain X speed and X entity damage for your next attack, with the final rank being "1" entity damage (which I figured was just doubling your damage), but when I test this in game, it seems to do not deal the damage I would expect. I bumped the number up to "3" entity damage as a different test, and my results were:

level 3 steel club:

power attack on bears side = 108 damage
power attack on bears side with buff = 255 damage

a difference of 147 damage

I then modified the entity damage in my custom buff to "2.5", and the numbers were:

power attack on bears side = 108 (as usual)
power attack on bears side with buff = 230 damage

lowering the entity damage by .5 changed the club damage by 25 points.

there must be some sort of set number it is scaling off of, im not sure what, because using the power attack damage as reference does not line up with the numbers im seeing, and using the power attack numbers on the club itself doesnt add up (it would be 219 damage if tripled, which doesnt account for an extra 36 damage) - I am just wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction here (P.S: I did not have any any perk points spent + I did not have mods on my club)

Edited by ZuluBtw
added more information (see edit history)

so after looking at it again, it seems like the club is getting +36 damage added to it no matter what entity damage I set it at, (power attack text saying 72, but giving actual 108 hits), in which case the entity damage scaling makes sense, if you account for this +36 damage... but I dont know where that 36 damage is coming from? I dont have any other perks / mods / etc.. as I said, and this +36 damage is getting added without my buff active.

All damage using "perc_add" adds to the base damage. Lets say the base dmg is 50, and your weapon is Q6, this adds 50% base dmg, so now its 75. This buff you mention adds "1", which would total 125. The buff adds 100% of the base damage.

13 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

What is your game difficulty setting?  Scavenger doubles player damage while Adventurer is 150%.  Nomad would be just a simple 100% of player damage.

13 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

What is your game difficulty setting?  Scavenger doubles player damage while Adventurer is 150%.  Nomad would be just a simple 100% of player damage.

the world im testing things in is set to Adventurer (default), but I am probably going to change it to nomad or warrior when I do a real game.

the difficulty setting boosting player damage makes sense, thank you - I find it strange they didnt reflect that in the item/weapon numbers

12 hours ago, FranticDan said:

All damage using "perc_add" adds to the base damage. Lets say the base dmg is 50, and your weapon is Q6, this adds 50% base dmg, so now its 75. This buff you mention adds "1", which would total 125. The buff adds 100% of the base damage.

does the quality not reflect in the stat numbers? I thought it did.. I was using a level 3 steel club

another poster replied here saying that it could be the difficulty settings, due to the game apparently boosting your damage the lower difficulty the game is, which I had no idea existed - its also possible, since I am playing on default settings (Adventurer)

--------------------------------------------------
thank you both for replying! I will test the difficulty settings in a bit here, as thats probably why the damage seems off.

Edited by ZuluBtw
etc (see edit history)

7 hours ago, ZuluBtw said:

does the quality not reflect in the stat numbers? I thought it did.. I was using a level 3 steel club

Everything (including quality) adds to the BASE damage. Most weapon's power attack adds 100%, this is not double damage, but an extra base damage on top of it.

Here's an extreme example, lets say base damage is 50, power attack would be 100. Lets say you have a buff that adds 1000% damage. Your normal attack will be 550 and power attack with be 600