Dynamic infestation system.

If a wondering horde is not removed, instead of despawinging it should hit a poi and infest it. To complicate matters, have these infestations stack, to the point where it is like a clown car full of zombies. 

This type of mechanic would explain multiple things: Infested clears, and recover supply quests. How did the zombies get there? they moved in. 

18 hours ago, stallionsden said:

They lived there.

They took it over.

Many reasons why zs are in a poi .

But I like the infested idea tho the game won't be able to handle person stacked infestations.

I was thinking about that. instead of it being real time, it would add a counter to the poi, and you would take a quest from the trader. the more counters the more zombies in the poi, and if it was over a limit then instead  of them being sleepers it would trigger a massive horde that would storm out of the poi. 

Part of why i want to see this, is it seems that the hoard exists just to harass me. On one hand it's a video game, but on the other it feels like a waste if all they do is just wonder around to be a big fight. Since they despawn after a while and leave loot bags it really is better to let them wonder off. That feels kinda cheap to me and i would like to see them become a dangerous risk if left unchecked. 

This mechanic sounds very similar to one you'll find in State of Decay 2. Hordes that aren't removed can infest a location even if it's been cleared before. Leave it for too long and activity in the area will slowly increase and left unchecked, local plague hearts will become active and send out even more zombies. (if you aren't familiar with the game, plague hearts are essentially boss fight locations that you need to destroy to clear the map.)

The mechanic itself isn't perfect, but it certainly added flavor to the gameplay. Something 7DTD could use.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2024 at 4:03 PM, Syphon583 said:

This mechanic sounds very similar to one you'll find in State of Decay 2. Hordes that aren't removed can infest a location even if it's been cleared before. Leave it for too long and activity in the area will slowly increase and left unchecked, local plague hearts will become active and send out even more zombies. (if you aren't familiar with the game, plague hearts are essentially boss fight locations that you need to destroy to clear the map.)

The mechanic itself isn't perfect, but it certainly added flavor to the gameplay. Something 7DTD could use.

Wouldn't this significantly affect quest availability as either accepting a quest at the location would reset the infestation, or lock off that POI from quest selection when accepting a new quest? I'm not sure randomly generated quests could work in tandem with a dynamic infestation system leading to one of the two elements suffering due to the other.

18 hours ago, VoltraLux said:

Wouldn't this significantly affect quest availability as either accepting a quest at the location would reset the infestation, or lock off that POI from quest selection when accepting a new quest? I'm not sure randomly generated quests could work in tandem with a dynamic infestation system leading to one of the two elements suffering due to the other.

I guess it would depend on the area. With the amount of POIs in the game now (and nearly every one of them can be used as a quest) a larger town of city shouldn't be negatively affected. What's more, if a POI was infested, it could take on a special kind of quest (basically just use the new quest they introduced in A21).

This dynamic infestation mechanic would just be building on that same idea.