Drone Still Needs Work

zombiehunter

I know TFP worked on the drone for A21 and it is true that it no longer gets stuck or lost in a big T5 POI.  However, the problem with it getting in your way while mining, placing blocks, and especially getting in your line of sight while a horde of Zs is coming at you still remains.  It seems it is programmed to get in front of you so that you can "talk" to it when you need to.  That is a problem in the aforementioned scenarios.  I wish they could (would) program it so that it is just in your vicinity and when you need it you press a predetermined key and it comes to you.

As it is now, I have a hard time using it still because of these issues.

The way the drone works now is that it will attempt to move to your back so that it is out of the way. If however there is another entity or block there, it will hover in front of you and wait till that space behind you is cleared. Also, if you leave it in Follow Me mode and move to a position where there isn't enough space behind you, it can push to your front.

The really annoying thing is getting used to this mechanic. If you attempt to face the drone as it's flying in and you rotate with it, you end up in an endless rotation of trying to find your pesky drone that is continuously attempting to fly to your back. Kind of like a dog chasing its tail. 

On 1/14/2024 at 2:03 PM, Stranded_Napkin said:

The really annoying thing is getting used to this mechanic. If you attempt to face the drone as it's flying in and you rotate with it, you end up in an endless rotation of trying to find your pesky drone that is continuously attempting to fly to your back. Kind of like a dog chasing its tail. 

Unless I am remembering it wrong, that was an issue for a while in A20 as well that they ended up fixing.  It seems that it came back once they reduced the distance to the player (or some other parameter).  They probably fixed the issue in A20 by changing a parameter that they then changed back, causing it to appear again.  That's something that needs to be fixed again.