Dedicated server question

TheC4Guy

I can't seem to find the answer for this so I apologize in advance if there's a post I couldn't find.

I am trying to spin up a server on Alpha 21, I have run them in the past so I'm not going in completely blind but it's been a about a year.

Problem: a couple issues but I've reversed my edits to the serverconfig back to the point of selecting the save file location and that seems to be the issue.
1. I've tried making a whole new folder

2. I have pasted the file path from a p2p save in appdata

3. I've left it blank (oddly this is the only way the server will actually launch the cmd window with green text)

so I'm assuming I am doing something wrong with the save file location. Any help would be much appreciated, thank you!

Edited by TheC4Guy
Typo (see edit history)

I'll post it hopefully this weekend. I may not be near my pc the next day or so. But I did get the server running and friends can join it. All I did was leave the file path for the saves empty. I went into app data and can find the whole folder there.

still breaks if I try pasting that file path though.

but yes I will post my serverconfig this weekend thank you!

<!-- Folder and file locations -->
    <property name="AdminFileName"                    value="serveradmin.xml"/>    <!-- Server admin file name. Path relative to the SaveGameFolder -->
    <!-- <property name="UserDataFolder"                value="absolute path" /> -->    <!-- Use this to override where the server stores all generated data, including RWG generated worlds. Do not forget to uncomment the entry! -->
    <!-- <property name="SaveGameFolder"                value="absolute path" /> -->    <!-- Use this to only override the save game path. Do not forget to uncomment the entry! -->

So I've tried a few different formats for the file location. None seem to work. How does everyone else do it? Currently I have it looking like this and it generated a save folder called "My Game"

I can't post my logfile because it won't even launch the terminal unless I leave the field as is above

9 hours ago, TheC4Guy said:

<property name="AdminFileName"                    value="serveradmin.xml"/>    <!-- Server admin file name. Path relative to the SaveGameFolder -->
    <!-- <property name="UserDataFolder"                value="absolute path" /> -->    <!-- Use this to override where the server stores all generated data, including RWG generated worlds. Do not forget to uncomment the entry! -->
    <!-- <property name="SaveGameFolder"                value="absolute path" /> -->    <!-- Use this to only override the save game path. Do not forget to uncomment the entry! -->

So I've tried a few different formats for the file location. None seem to work. How does everyone else do it? Currently I have it looking like this and it generated a save folder called "My Game"

I can't post my logfile because it won't even launch the terminal unless I leave the field as is above

🤔, we know how the serverconfig file looks unmodified. We wanted to see your modiication to tell you what you are doing wrong!

But oh well, here is a working example:

<property name="AdminFileName"                    value="serveradmin.xml"/>    <!-- Server admin file name. Path relative to the SaveGameFolder -->
    <property name="UserDataFolder"                value="c:\users\x\Documents\gurg" />    <!-- Use this to override where the server stores all generated data, including RWG generated worlds. Do not forget to uncomment the entry! -->
    <!-- <property name="SaveGameFolder"                value="absolute path" /> -->    <!-- Use this to only override the save game path. Do not forget to uncomment the entry! -->

Note I removed the comment tokens like I was asked to. I suspect you use windows, so I used a path that might work on windows (which I don't use so the path might not really be correct in all details). Make sure the actual path you insert exists.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

When I'm back to my pc I'll post a couple ways I tried. Thats my point though I just wanted to see exactly where everyone else put the file path. Because I did that exactly how you did and got nothing

I'll try again and post how I do it tonight

Did you leave the game save folder path empty on purpose

25 minutes ago, TheC4Guy said:

When I'm back to my pc I'll post a couple ways I tried. Thats my point though I just wanted to see exactly where everyone else put the file path. Because I did that exactly how you did and got nothing

I'll try again and post how I do it tonight

Did you leave the game save folder path empty on purpose

There is no fundamental difference between save and data folder. If you are able to specify one without the game crashing you are able to specify the other as well.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)